Jump to content


No New Petrol Or Diesel Cars After 2030-Will There Be A U Turn?

Recommended Posts

Guest
2 hours ago, geared said:

It's not really acceptable to be trailing cables across the street to charge your car.

It's a trip hazard to anyone with vision or mobility problems, sooner or later someone is going to fall over it and hurt themselves.

 

Do what you want on your own driveway, but Sheffield has lots of housing with no private parking so this is going to become quite an issue in time.

Agree and surely also a burglary opportunity for some.

 

If you have no choice but to leave a door ajar or downstairs window open to run cables, it opens up other potential problems.

 

I was almost 90% going to opt for a PHEV and have a drive/ garage so no issues with cable. However if I can get an efficient diesel I may well stick with these for another 3 yrs at least.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

‘Why did it take nine hours to go 130 miles in our new electric Porsche?’

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/nov/28/electric-cars-porsche-charging-network

If it’s anything like the journo who had a week in an EV golf and took a trip to Cornwall without charging it first or planning his journey I might start with user error ;)

1 hour ago, Mr Fisk said:

Agree and surely also a burglary opportunity for some.

 

If you have no choice but to leave a door ajar or downstairs window open to run cables, it opens up other potential problems.

 

I was almost 90% going to opt for a PHEV and have a drive/ garage so no issues with cable. However if I can get an efficient diesel I may well stick with these for another 3 yrs at least.

 

 

But if you bought an EV surely you’d get an outside, fast charging point installed wouldn’t you? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
3 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

If it’s anything like the journo who had a week in an EV golf and took a trip to Cornwall without charging it first or planning his journey I might start with user error ;)

But if you bought an EV surely you’d get an outside, fast charging point installed wouldn’t you? 

May be not everyone can or afford to.

 

Some are close to £500 from what I've seen.

 

Mercedes offer one free "worth £499" as they advertised on their website- of course if you buy one of their cars!

 

I would consider one but only if I was convinced it is the way ffwd.

Also our government may be banging on about it now, but could change their tune later.

 

 

Edited by Guest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Mr Fisk said:

May be not everyone can or afford to.

 

Some are close to £500 from what I've seen.

 

Mercedes offer one free "worth £499" as they advertised on their website- of course if you buy one of their cars!

 

I would consider one but only if I was convinced it is the way ffwd.

Also our government may be banging on about it now, but could change their tune later.

 

 

You can afford an electric car but not the 500 quid charger?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
14 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

You can afford an electric car but not the 500 quid charger?

May be true for some but how many domestic wall chargers do you see?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

 

But if you bought an EV surely you’d get an outside, fast charging point installed wouldn’t you? 

Not if you live on one of the many terraced streets around the city.

 

Obviously the previously mentioned trailing of cables everywhere, but also if you just strap one to your front wall you're basically inviting any Tom, Dick or Harry passing to stop and plug in for abit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mr Fisk said:

May be not everyone can or afford to.

 

Some are close to £500 from what I've seen.

 

Mercedes offer one free "worth £499" as they advertised on their website- of course if you buy one of their cars!

 

I would consider one but only if I was convinced it is the way ffwd.

Also our government may be banging on about it now, but could change their tune later.

 

 

Erm, if you’re buying an expensive newish EV I’m sure you can find £500. And you’ll save that in a year in fuel costs.

52 minutes ago, geared said:

Not if you live on one of the many terraced streets around the city.

 

Obviously the previously mentioned trailing of cables everywhere, but also if you just strap one to your front wall you're basically inviting any Tom, Dick or Harry passing to stop and plug in for abit.

Fair point on the terrace street, put if some cheeky sod plugged in, you’d just unplug it and take steps to make sure it wasn’t repeated wouldn’t you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bargepole23 said:

You can afford an electric car but not the 500 quid charger?

Will you be saying the same thing in 2040 when at least two thirds of all used cars are EV or Hybrids? A lack of infrastructure and cheap safe charging points will literally force people - the sort who drive 15 year old Astras and the ilk -  to give up driving. Not sure anyone has really thought about multi car households either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Fair point on the terrace street, put if some cheeky sod plugged in, you’d just unplug it and take steps to make sure it wasn’t repeated wouldn’t you?

 

Well only if you were around to catch them 😉

 

Like I said tho, it should never be installed in such a position in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I own my house with a driveway so no problem for me. 

However a lot of people live in either council properties or private rented properties.   I'm sure the councils or private landlords won't be installing charging points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, francypants said:

I own my house with a driveway so no problem for me. 

However a lot of people live in either council properties or private rented properties.   I'm sure the councils or private landlords won't be installing charging points.

Have they got electricity in Birdwell ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.