No New Petrol Or Diesel Cars After 2030-Will There Be A U Turn?

That is interesting to know, Soopah. I wonder how many battery cells there are in a Prius battery pack.

I don't know if the following applies to all EVs, but I read that the battery is located in the floor area of the vehicle. Encased in titanium to protect it. It will be accessible I guess, but I have no idea of how long it would take.

Edited by Janus
Typo

22 hours ago, the_bloke said:

To echo the post above, I've never had to buy any of those things on a ten year old car. Not every car even has a timing belt that needs replacing. 

Very true.   I run a 2004 plate car.  It didn't cost a great deal and had already had the cambelt and clutch done when I got it.  Even if it hadn't it wouldn't have cost a great deal to do.

A new back box for it is £40. Same for the cat.

2 hours ago, Janus said:

I don't know if the following applies to all EVs, but I read that the battery is located in the floor area of the vehicle. Encased in titanium to protect it. It will be accessible I guess, but I have no idea of how long it would take.

I'd be a little surprised if there was a giant titanium shell around the battery, quite an exotic metal to be throwing large quantities at a consumer vehicle.

2 hours ago, Janus said:

I wonder how many battery cells there are in a Prius battery pack.

According to Wiki:

The battery is composed of 28 modules, where each module is made of six individual 1.2-volt, 6.5 Ah Prismatic NiMH cells.

So 168 Cells I believe?

If they're NiMH it might explain why they wear out so much.

Edited by geared

This is an interesting second life for EV Batteries that are no longer suitable for powering an EV anymore:
https://www.mckinsey.com/industries/automotive-and-assembly/our-insights/second-life-ev-batteries-the-newest-value-pool-in-energy-storage

Use with Solar power, charge up your own energy bank and have less reliance on the grid.  The power requirements of your house will be way less than what an EV wants.

There are so many new solutions coming, but people have very blinkered views and just won't be prepared to bend in any way, even though it won't even affect them.

Cars don't need to make brum brum noises, and they don't need to burn dinosaurs.  Although if they don't make brum brum noises, I'm not quite sure how spotty teenagers are going to perform their mating rituals.

Edited by soopah

As previously mentioned by others, tax revenues will be hit by EV use. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55358100

"One idea would be to charge motorists for every mile they drive.  But the AA says such road pricing will be tough to sell politically.

Instead, the motoring organisation is proposing a system of "Road Miles" in which motorists are allowed to drive free of charge for 3,000 miles (4,000 in rural areas) before they start paying."

Think that's a fair idea by the AA?

Edited by Baron99

Raise taxes in other ways. A bit more on VAT, but on booze - it's not like it doesn't all go into one big pot.

5 hours ago, Baron99 said:

"One idea would be to charge motorists for every mile they drive.  But the AA says such road pricing will be tough to sell politically.

Instead, the motoring organisation is proposing a system of "Road Miles" in which motorists are allowed to drive free of charge for 3,000 miles (4,000 in rural areas) before they start paying."

I don't know why a new system has to be introduced, seems pretty stupid really.

Just tax the bloody things like any other car, figure out a number and slap it on.

Remember back when there were only two car tax brackets to worry about?

5 hours ago, Baron99 said:

People have been using old batteries for various pieces of tech to make powerwalls for ages.

Usually a DIY project, because there's so much variation in the quality of used cells that no company would ever be able to sell them on as part of a unit.

On 19/12/2020 at 09:18, enntee said:

@ "geared"

They are talking about the tax revenues from fuel sales, not VED. 😁

They also don't pay VED tho, another pretty decent hole in the budget.

On 08/12/2020 at 00:23, Longcol said:

Looks like it'll be a fair size bigger than your usual fuel station and with a much lower throughput. And where are they going to put the queue if all bays are full?

Most cars back then would have a jerry can of petrol or two strapped to the back of the car "in case".

Can't see anyone being able to carry a spare battery.

Earlier this year I took the plunge and bought an ev. Not a mad expensive one - a modest egolf. 

In 10 months I have suffered one bout of range anxiety. Like a muppet I forgot to charge it. I set off to my destination - hardwick hall. Just leaving chesterfield heading to the m1 the range warning light came on (31 miles of range left ). This meant I would not have enough electrons to get me to hardwick and back home. But I knew there was charge points in chesterfield and there was enough range to get me to hardwick and then back to chesterfield for a charge. 
Arriving at hardwick I pulled out my zap app and guess what there were at least 8 chargers on the way home but the closest was at hardwick itself ! We arrived with 26 miles left (possibly enough to get home but did not want to risk it as there are a few hills on the way back and I don’t want to see what limp mode looks like ) - plugged it in went for our picnic and walk - when we got back the car was charged - for free ! 

sure we were there for a few hours but you dont need to fill it up 100% to get home - bit like an ice ! It’s all about learning about the car, how it performs how you drive and figuring out how much you need to put into it. YOU DO NOT have to sit there for hours. 

Normally we fill the car up at home. 
Roughly speaking the car costs about £3.50 to give 130 miles of range. 
fitting the charger at home cost me circa 300. It was not the cheapest on the market. I get my electricity from octopus who tell me the electricity only comes from clean sources. I generally plug it in at night and set the timer to charge when cheaper. I do this once or twice a week depending on runs to Nottingham etc. Most of the car use is school run, drives to the peaks etc - quite normal driving.

I have used the car a number of times to travel to Nottingham and Wakefield. Sure the night before I make sure the car has enough range. It’s not rocket science just a bit of thought and planning. 

Overall I find the car more convenient than a petrol car as I I don’t have to go out my way to fill up I just plug it in at home. 

the car battery has an 8 year warranty so I’m not really that worried about the life of the battery. It’s also worth noting that Evs don’t stop working on their 8th birthday, it’s just the battery is not under warranty. 

As others have mentioned. I don’t pay car tax and interestingly I don’t pay to park in town ! Scc have a green car scheme. 

a lot of people have talked about plug in hybrids. I had one of these for a few months. Worst car I have  driven. The battery only range was booked at 20 miles best I got on Sheffield hills was 14 miles. Trying to drive it in mixed mode was also disappointing I only got around 50mpg. There are cheaper regular diesels that do better than that. If you’re buying a phev then make sure it really does suit you. There are better petrol diesel cars out there. 

Id defo recommend getting an ev they are not scary things but you do have to think a little - like I say not rocket science !

The above are just my thoughts and real life experience. 

hope they help

Edited by srtaylo0
Added a bit of explanation of miles

@srtaylo0 I'll get an electric car when

a) I can afford one (second hand prices start at twice what I paid for my last car, also second hand)

b) house prices come down enough for me to afford a house with a drive where I can park and charge it.

Seriously, an EV would suit the driving I have to do for work down to the ground.  Maybe large employers need to look at getting pool cars for employees to use that have to drive for work, rather than stipulating in the contract that you must have your own vehicle.

I'm glad I'm not a logistics/finance manager...

Just watched a TV programme on BBC1 that basically gave the impression that if this ban goes ahead, car users are screwed.

Not enough charging spaces, not enough capacity, increasing costs, the list goes on... 🙄

9 hours ago, Pyrotequila said:

Just watched a TV programme on BBC1 that basically gave the impression that if this ban goes ahead, car users are screwed.

Not enough charging spaces, not enough capacity, increasing costs, the list goes on... 🙄

Doesn't need a programme to tell us that - IMO.

• Like 1