No New Petrol Or Diesel Cars After 2030-Will There Be A U Turn?

9 hours ago, Anna B said:

Mmm...  but knowing who to blame doesn't put it right.

Of course not, but at least you know who to complain to - not that it wouldn't be a total waste of time and energy.

12 hours ago, ptathion said:

Fast charging uses between 28 and 88 amps (7 and 22kw). most domestic property supplies are between 60 and 100 amps im not so sure most homes would be able to support a fast charger, maybe most fast charging would be limited to commercial properties and car parks where 3 phase supplies are available

That is a very interesting point ptathium. I do wonder how many potential buyers of electric vehicles will realise this.

I can imagine some multi-car households having a  3 phase supply installed, Kerching.

On 23/11/2020 at 12:35, the_bloke said:

It's also not just a case of running an extension from a socket by the front door either, unless you want to charge it for 9 hours.

The government don't want to say anything bad about EV's, but they need to make sure we don't end up with streets full of houses trailing cables across the pavement to charge their car up.

Anyone with vision or mobility issues will be constantly falling over and hurting themsevles.

23 hours ago, Janus said:

Is that a typo,  or do some electric cars take that long to charge? I did not know that. Surely that will have to change and improve.

It pretty much can't.

There's only so much power you can safely draw from a domestic supply, right now we've already reached that limit. 

Charging your car from home is unlikely to actually get any faster than it currently is today.

Geared

Would installation of 3 phase get around the problem. I can see that being seen as somewhat ridiculous. However, there are some guys with big 3 phase lathes and milling machines in their garage at home. They have  obviously had it installed.

1 hour ago, Janus said:

Geared

Would installation of 3 phase get around the problem. I can see that being seen as somewhat ridiculous. However, there are some guys with big 3 phase lathes and milling machines in their garage at home. They have  obviously had it installed.

I know, not addressed to me but :)

3 phase equipment can be run from a single phase supply with the use of a phase inverter by changing the single phase supply to 3 phase. Every machine is different but I would think a lathe or milling machine wouldn't take that much power, maybe just a few amps.... lets say 4 amps on 3 phase, so 12 amps on single phase as a rough guide, you would just be able to plug It into a 13A socket.

As for installing 3 phase... new cable from the street into the house, new meter, new main switch and a new DB and space to install it, no idea of cost or how much extra per month for a 3 phase supply over single phase. This would assume your street has the extra capacity from the grid

I don't really think domestic charging points will be needed in the long run, it seems to me the long term goal is for them not to sell you a car but to lease it, at least to lease you the use of whichever particular car is in the area when you want to use it and then  charge you per mile of use

Edited by ptathion

4 hours ago, Janus said:

Geared

Yea, although thats already an option, so on your original point there's still no room for improvement for home chargers in the future.

Essentially the options are:

3-pin plug:  Takes forever and a day to charge

3.6kW charger: Not fast, but not slow

7kW charger: Best you can do off a domestic supply, still take several hours to charge a half decent car up.

22kW charger: 3-phase only

2 hours ago, ptathion said:

I don't really think domestic charging points will be needed in the long run, it seems to me the long term goal is for them not to sell you a car but to lease it, at least to lease you the use of whichever particular car is in the area when you want to use it and then  charge you per mile of use

That old nonsense about shared community cars again??  Total non-starter

People will always want and need to own their vehicle in one form or another.

Edited by geared

I suppose the system will probably  be much like it is currently.

I think most of us prefer to purchase a car. Leasing has it's place, and there seems to be planty of companies providing that option. 

Things can only get better?

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/nov/28/electric-cars-porsche-charging-network

"A couple from Kent have described how it took them more than nine hours to drive 130 miles home from Bournemouth as they struggled to find a working charger capable of producing enough power to their electric car."

That's why if I ever opted for a hybrid, it would be a PHEV, not a  fully EV.

At least you have the petrol engine there to manage if your cars battery has drained.

There is still so much that needs ironing out whatever you opt for. I've seen someone on our street who has a BMW 5 series PHEV, which is constantly on charge.

I don't think I've ever seen it not having a cable plugged in, whilst parked up. My guess is they are using a standard home plug.

1 hour ago, Mr Fisk said:

That's why if I ever opted for a hybrid, it would be a PHEV, not a  fully EV.

At least you have the petrol engine there to manage if your cars battery has drained.

There is still so much that needs ironing out whatever you opt for. I've seen someone on our street who has a BMW 5 series PHEV, which is constantly on charge.

I don't think I've ever seen it not having a cable plugged in, whilst parked up. My guess is they are using a standard home plug.

Yes. There's a house I pass occasionally, when out walking the dog & I noticed they had their front door open with an orange extension cable, running down a bit of their hallway  out the front door to their car. 

At first I thought they were giving it a clean but then spotted it was plugged into the car itself. 

Edited by Baron99

It's not really acceptable to be trailing cables across the street to charge your car.

It's a trip hazard to anyone with vision or mobility problems, sooner or later someone is going to fall over it and hurt themselves.

Do what you want on your own driveway, but Sheffield has lots of housing with no private parking so this is going to become quite an issue in time.

Edited by geared

It seems Sussex Council doesn't allow cables across footpaths,  some other councils advise a safe way to do it.

also Highways act 1980:

Penalty for placing rope, etc. across highway.

A person who for any purpose places any rope, wire or other apparatus across a highway in such a manner as to be likely to cause danger to persons using the highway is, unless he proves that he had taken all necessary means to give adequate warning of the danger, guilty of an offence and liable to a fine not exceeding [F1level 3 on the standard scale].