No New Petrol Or Diesel Cars After 2030-Will There Be A U Turn?

I'm pondering where the infrastructure is going to come from to support millions of EV cars. I just don't see it happening in time, and for some people it's as good as impossible to be able to charge your car overnight due to parking on the street or communal car parks.

It's also not just a case of running an extension from a socket by the front door either, unless you want to charge it for 9 hours.

There will be a need for hybrids for many many years before pure electric cars and the supporting charging network catches up. 

37 minutes ago, Anna B said:

A previous poster has quoted that nearly a quarter of the population (usually the lowest paid workers) do not have a car, yet the public transport system in Sheffield is appalling, as I suspect it is in most places except London. 

My experience of public transport in Manchester and Merseyside has been very positive.    Fast, frequent and cheap.

On 23/11/2020 at 12:35, the_bloke said:

It's also not just a case of running an extension from a socket by the front door either, unless you want to charge it for 9 hours.

Is that a typo,  or do some electric cars take that long to charge? I did not know that. Surely that will have to change and improve.

1 hour ago, Janus said:

Is that a typo,  or do some electric cars take that long to charge? I did not know that. Surely that will have to change and improve.

Yes, if you plug the car into a normal 13 amp socket.

On 23/11/2020 at 12:37, alchresearch said:

My experience of public transport in Manchester and Merseyside has been very positive.    Fast, frequent and cheap.

What's your experience of public transport in Sheffield?

Anybody know who or why they had the bright idea of running down the new(ish) and perfectly servicable Pond Street bus station, to put 'Hubs' all over the city centre.

1 minute ago, Anna B said:

What's your experience of public transport in Sheffield?

Anybody know who or why they had the bright idea of running down the new(ish) and perfectly servicable Pond Street bus station, to put 'Hubs' all over the city centre.

The idea to almost 'decommission' Pond Street was a combination of its' location, access problems caused by our wonderful City planners, and the outrageous access charges levied by the wonderful PTE - which the operators were/are extremely reluctant to pay.

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

The idea to almost 'decommission' Pond Street was a combination of its' location, access problems caused by our wonderful City planners, and the outrageous access charges levied by the wonderful PTE - which the operators were/are extremely reluctant to pay.

The result is I (and a great many people with mobility problems) can no longer use public transport, as the walk between 'Hubs' is a walk too far.

Just now, Anna B said:

The result is I (and a great many people with mobility problems) can no longer use public transport, as the walk between 'Hubs' is a walk too far.

Well, you now know who to blame for that then, don't you?

1 hour ago, Arnold_Lane said:

Yes, if you plug the car into a normal 13 amp socket.

Much quicker if you get a home fast charger installed, grants are available.

Regarding charging the car, I had always imagined that the 'transformer part' would have been built in to the vehicle. More expense.

Edited by Janus

6 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Well, you now know who to blame for that then, don't you?

Mmm...  but knowing who to blame doesn't put it right.

9 hours ago, Janus said:

Fast charging uses between 28 and 88 amps (7 and 22kw). most domestic property supplies are between 60 and 100 amps im not so sure most homes would be able to support a fast charger, maybe most fast charging would be limited to commercial properties and car parks where 3 phase supplies are available