No New Petrol Or Diesel Cars After 2030-Will There Be A U Turn?

If things go to plan, it will not be possible to buy a new petrol or diesel car in ten years time in the UK. The government has brought this idea forward from it's original  plan.

Is this doable regarding motor manufacturers? Will there be enough charging points for all the electric cars? Where will the roll out of the hydrogen car be in 10 years?

Finally, will we see the price of 2nd hand petrol and diesel cars soar around 2028/29

15 minutes ago, Janus said:

If things go to plan, it will not be possible to buy a new petrol or diesel car in ten years time in the UK. The government has brought this idea forward from it's original  plan.

Is this doable regarding motor manufacturers? Will there be enough charging points for all the electric cars? Where will the roll out of the hydrogen car be in 10 years?

Finally, will we see the price of 2nd hand petrol and diesel cars soar around 2028/29

Hybrids will also be banned unless they can do a significant distance carbon neutrally.  I haven’t seen it stated what that distance is.  But, ten years is a long time for the technology to develop.

39 minutes ago, Arnold_Lane said:

Hybrids will also be banned unless they can do a significant distance carbon neutrally.  I haven’t seen it stated what that distance is.  But, ten years is a long time for the technology to develop.

My bold. 

When this story was muted at the weekend, I saw someone from the motor industry bemoaning the fact that the decision to get rid of petrol & diesel cars was going to be brought forward by 10  years to 2030 & that this would be difficult for the motor industry to develope the new technologies to meet the deadline. 

Whenever I hear something like this, I'm reminded of 6 years, 10 months.  That was the length of time from the pledge made by Kennedy to the US landing on the Moon.  All the technology had to be invented, go through research & development, built & tested from scratch.   The motor industry isn't starting from the point of 'What's a car engine' are they? 

A deadline focuses the mind, so rather than the motor industry moaning about the time scale, just get on with it.  Or is your average family saloon more mechanically complicated than a Saturn 5 rocket?  

I don't think so. 

Edited by Baron99

10 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Or is your average family saloon more mechanically complicated than a Saturn 5 rocket?  

I don't think so. 

Actually, it probably is.

31 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Whenever I hear something like this, I'm reminded of 6 years, 10 months.  That was the length of time from the pledge made by Kennedy to the US landing on the Moon.  All the technology had to be invented, go through research & development, built & tested from scratch.   The motor industry isn't starting from the point of 'What's a car engine' are they? 

Your mind must be abit fuzzy then, because they had been making considerable effort towards a moon mission long before he made that famous speech.

It wasn't to announce their intentions, it was intended to get the support of the American people behind the Apollo program.

It was possible to get a man to the moon, with the backing of a top world power.

The motor industry does not have that, they've got to change everything and still manage to turn a profit, which is why they're quite upset.

48 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

My bold. 

When this story was muted at the weekend, I saw someone from the motor industry bemoaning the fact that the decision to get rid of petrol & diesel cars was going to be brought forward by 10  years to 2030 & that this would be difficult for the motor industry to develope the new technologies to meet the deadline. 

A deadline focuses the mind, so rather than the motor industry moaning about the time scale, just get on with it.  Or is your average family saloon more mechanically complicated than a Saturn 5 rocket?  

I don't think so. 

Why was the story muted if they wanted to announce things?

If you mean 'mooted', it makes sense...

5 minutes ago, RiffRaff said:

Why was the story muted if they wanted to announce things?

If you mean 'mooted', it makes sense...

Not really.  The policy idea would be mooted.  The story would report it.

:)

but how many battery only cars will be on the road then?how many will buy petrol ect to keep for then?intresting

2 hours ago, Janus said:

Where will the roll out of the hydrogen car be in 10 years?

1) we still don't really know how to store hydrogen.

hydrogen atoms are so small that they can pass through solid metal - particularly under pressure, and a hydrogen fuel tank has to be pressurised.

you wouldn't be happy if your fuel tank emptied itself over time.

(the best way to store hydrogen is in the form of hydro-carbons, gas or petrol basically.  and the whole point of this is move away from fossil fuels)

2) also... fuel cells need to be extremely clean, all of that electrical potential, and ionised hydrogen means that any impurities end up forming an acidic compound. it doesn't take very much sulphur to completely knacker a fuel cell.

i predict that in 10 years, hydrogen powered cars will still be 10 years away.

The hydrogen option certainly seems considerably  more complex than the battery option. 

The CEO at Tesla-Elon Musk said hydrogen fuel cell vehicles are not possible.

Others are not so sceptical. There are currently 39 public hydrogen fueling stations in California. The debate goes on.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/21/musk-calls-hydrogen-fuel-cells-stupid-but-tech-may-threaten-tesla.html

I'm sure I've previously seen reports of companies already running hydrogen powered vans?  Also I'm sure one or two councils in this country are already trialing such vehicles? 

****************************************

Found a link. One is Amey here in Sheffield. 

http://www.h2fcsupergen.com/news/sheffield-council-launches-trial-use-hydrogen-vehicles-road-maintenance-fleet/

DHL are also using hydrogen technology. 

https://lot.dhl.com/5-reasons-why-hydrogen-is-the-fuel-of-the-future/

Edited by Baron99

The more alternatives we have, the better it is for the future.