Arcadia Cinema In Hillsborough

Any information regarding this cinema which was on Bradfield Road in what is now the car park next to Regent Court.

Edited by Groose
typo in title

This is news to me as I lived in Owlerton nearly 30yrs and never heard of it,I recollect a dancing school in that spot but never a cinema,perhaps Hillsbro could shed some light on it?.

It was an open air cinema in the 1920's.

It hosted boxing matches and was described as a mini amusement park...it may have been known as Arcadia Grounds.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/163026710@N02/?

Having read a little more it was run by Sylvan Recreations

( Hillsborough) Ltd. They took a five year lease in early 1927 but by September of 1928 all the equipment including the cinema was put up for sale.

The boxing carried on for a year but the promoter Gus Platts relocated to another venue in Attercliffe...strangely enough the first fight at the new venue was Mexborough's Billy Yates, who was my friends Grandfather!!

Edit...apparently Arcadia was located on an island in Hillsborough bounded on one side by the river Loxley and a large dam on the other...prior to the Arcadia the land housed tennis courts.

Edited by sadbrewer

Like Alexander and Old Tup I was born and raised in that area and was unaware of this place. Though well before I was born I never heard about this before.Thanks Sadbrewer for solving this mystery.  Heard previous generation of relatives talking about a permanent fairground with boxing matches and  Strongmen competions in the bottom of Hillsborough Park where the running track is at the top of Hawksley road and at the back of Hawksley Avenue. This would be around that time too.

4 hours ago, sadbrewer said:

It was an open air cinema in the 1920's.

It hosted boxing matches and was described as a mini amusement park...it may have been known as Arcadia Grounds.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/163026710@N02/?

Having read a little more it was run by Sylvan Recreations

( Hillsborough) Ltd. They took a five year lease in early 1927 but by September of 1928 all the equipment including the cinema was put up for sale.

The boxing carried on for a year but the promoter Gus Platts relocated to another venue in Attercliffe...strangely enough the first fight at the new venue was Mexborough's Billy Yates, who was my friends Grandfather!!

Edit...apparently Arcadia was located on an island in Hillsborough bounded on one side by the river Loxley and a large dam on the other...prior to the Arcadia the land housed tennis courts.

Thomas Augustus Platts, former middle weight champion of Europe and licensee of The Blue Boar, West Bar and boxing promoter

No wonder I never heard of the place I do remember the tennis courts by the side of Bradfield Rd flats!,at the turn of the century you can see on old maps the land occupied by the flats was a holding dam for a water mill filled I believe by the River Loxley!.1927 was well before my appearance into the world believe it or not!.

2 hours ago, old tup said:

No wonder I never heard of the place I do remember the tennis courts by the side of Bradfield Rd flats!,at the turn of the century you can see on old maps the land occupied by the flats was a holding dam for a water mill filled I believe by the River Loxley!.1927 was well before my appearance into the world believe it or not!.

Whitey says his dad used to tell him about the boxing, he lived at one point at the Cambridge grounds, I'll quiz him about it when things get a bit better.

It was opened by Mr Mottershaw who i believe founded the Sheffield Photo Company and was the first place to show a moving picture in Sheffield if my memory is correct.I read a long time ago that the island was called Constantinople and also had a skating rink on it.

Edited by bullerboY

On 18/11/2020 at 20:15, bullerboY said:

It was opened by Mr Mottershaw who i believe founded the Sheffield Photo Company and was the first place to show a moving picture in Sheffield if my memory is correct.I read a long time ago that the island was called Constantinople and also had a skating rink on it.

It didn't start until 1927...at that time there would have been quite a number of cinemas in the city....it may have been the first to show one outdoors though.

you need to read your history books and not google try Hillboro library Reference section.

On 22/11/2020 at 12:42, bullerboY said:

you need to read your history books and not google try Hillboro library Reference section.

I'm never upset to be put right if I've got it wrong...as I sometimes do...but the evidence I have in front of me contradicts you....Arcadia opened on Whit Saturday (May 26th) 1928, the structures were built by John Estelby & Son of Spring Street, the plumbing was by W Dawes of Holme Lane, the Sound equipment was supplied by J Brown & Co, Fulwood Road, refreshments were supplied by The Sheffield Refreshment House Ltd.

The company behind Arcadia was Sylvan Recreations, the Directors were L. Shaw of the Union Street Picture Palace, W. Bryan of the Attercliffe Theatre Royal and WO Brown, owner of a Derbyshire cinema chain.

The land was leased following the expiry of the previous lease held by The Wycliffe Tennis Club.

The opening attractions were Jimmie Bullin from the Central Pier, Blackpool and the Smilestones Concert Party.

Bearing in mind the first moving picture show in Sheffield was at least 1905, possibly earlier, I wonder if perhaps you could pop down to Hillsborough Library reference section and find the "correct" information ...I would be interested to see it.

Edited by sadbrewer