Pay Per Mile Road Usage

42 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Halifax road. Speed limit changes from 30 to 40 and back to 30 again, very badly signposted. 

Maybe you should try looking at £100 as a percentage of weekly income?

Yes I was offered a speed awareness course, £90 + petrol to get there, and an afternoon of my time. So not much difference.

My bold. 

You appear to know the speed limit changes on Halifax Rd, yet you still got caught & fined? 

Anyway back on topic about road pricing.  Isn't this a similar argument that people once had every time the road tax / vehicle excise duty was increased?   Motorists would say that some of them only used their cars to get to & from church on Sunday's, while their neighbour was a travelling salesman & did 50,000 miles a year but they pay the same road tax; "Scrap the tax & put it on petrol", was the cry. It's just something similar. 

I think we'd be talking about fractions of a penny per mile rather than a meter clocking up the pounds per mile like you get in a black cab? 

I could see it working but their would have to be some exemptions or reductions for those who rely on vehicles for their business.  What about driving instructors for example? 

Edited by Baron99

33 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Halifax road. Speed limit changes from 30 to 40 and back to 30 again, very badly signposted. 

Yes I was offered a speed awareness course, £90 + petrol to get there, and an afternoon of my time. So not much difference.

Having driven that road hundreds of times I'd say pretty clearly signposted - the 40 mph stretch  is getting on for half a mile long - it's not like it's sudden changes.

On 16/11/2020 at 22:59, Anna B said:

No, l wouldn't be in favour of it.

As with all these things, we will become the cash cows useful only for bailing the government out.

People are  hard strapped enough.

People need cars  because public transport is rubbish and expensive. It's getting harder and harder to live in this country.

How long before they start charging us for the air we breathe?

Work closer to home then. 

That said, it wouldn’t do any harm if they encouraged employers to hire people within say, a mile radius.

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

If you can’t read road signs and keep to the limit, you really shouldn’t be driving.  The percentage of your weekly income is irrelevant . Maybe you should look at the ROSPA stats for accidents in built up areas.

We’ve all slipped over the limit, but speeding in built up areas is the worst kind of speeding really. I’d much rather see someone doing 90 on a motorway than 35 in a 30.

Most accidents involving serious injuries happen in 30 zones.

1 hour ago, Longcol said:

Having driven that road hundreds of times I'd say pretty clearly signposted - the 40 mph stretch  is getting on for half a mile long - it's not like it's sudden changes.

Gosh it must be great to be perfect.

13 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Certainly financially advantageous 

15 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Nope - just observing clear signage - not hard.

8 hours ago, Pettytom said:

We’ve all slipped over the limit, but speeding in built up areas is the worst kind of speeding really. I’d much rather see someone doing 90 on a motorway than 35 in a 30.

Most accidents involving serious injuries happen in 30 zones.

But wouldn`t an accident with other vehicles occurring at 90mph on a motorway be potential  carnage?

1 hour ago, Janus said:

But wouldn`t an accident with other vehicles occurring at 90mph on a motorway be potential  carnage?

You make a good point. Maybe I should have said 80.

The important thing is that there are considerably more hazards in town. Those hazards are often vulnerable people, or animals. They are also pretty unpredictable.

12 hours ago, Anna B said:

£100 speeding fine for 34 mph on a Sunday afternoon when the roads were empty.

£100 added to the yearly cost of running a car, £2,000 per year on running their car – not including the cost of the car itself.

£100 speeding fine for 34 mph on a Sunday afternoon when the roads were empty.

Exactly the same here Anna, don't start me off..  I was livid, fuming, 

Still am..

And that was 6yrs ago.

1 hour ago, Padders said:

Exactly the same here Anna, don't start me off..  I was livid, fuming, 

Still am..

And that was 6yrs ago.

You're fuming because you were caught speeding 6 years ago?

Were you over the speed limit?

Back on topic, why not increase the tax on fuel rather another new system, pushing people to drive less, buy more efficient cars.

If there are legitimate exceptions, then they can be administered accordingly.

Get rid of VED and make savings there also by reducing admin and systems maintenance costs.

It's certainly great to be adult enough to accept that you made a mistake through carelessness, and that there will be consequences, such as a fine or an opportunity to see what the consequences of your actions on others might have been.

Or you can pretend you have been hard done by.