Pay Per Mile Road Usage

9 hours ago, Anna B said:

Don't kid yourself this is about anything more about raiding our pockets for cash. The government only cares about the environment when it suits them. It's all about generating money.

Just like the current system of extortionate road fines are all about raising cash, nothing to do with  road safety. Even the police have admitted that. 

So taxing work/income is better?

12 hours ago, Anna B said:

How long before they start charging us for the air we breathe?

Well they have got us wearing masks at the moment..

I would imagine that in the not to distant future the air will become so polluted we will have to wear an oxygen mask to survive. Then of course they will charge you for a canister of oxygen.

The Electric companies and their shareholders will be happy with the increase in profits due to the extra  electricity being used charging vehicles.

Edited by iansheff

11 hours ago, Anna B said:

Just like the current system of extortionate road fines are all about raising cash, nothing to do with  road safety. Even the police have admitted that. 

Just curious what "road fines" you think are extortionate. 

I wonder ow people will react to this idea when they realise every single thing they buy will go up in price.

I can imagine the cost of running an HGV will be more eye watering than it i now.

Personaly it would cost me dear which i would pass on to my customers, most of which are private individuals.

Surely it would be better to tax the electric vehicles but then that wouldn't look very green would it!

15 hours ago, Anna B said:

Don't kid yourself this is about anything more about raiding our pockets for cash. The government only cares about the environment when it suits them. It's all about generating money.

My bold. 

Road fines are optional.  Near enough 40 years of motoring & never paid a penny of a fine because I don't drive or park where I shouldn't or break the speed limit, especially these days with all the cameras around. 

At the end of the day, I wouldn't be without a car for the convenience & independence it gives me but I still recognise it's still a luxury rather than a necessity, living in a city.

9 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Just curious what "road fines" you think are extortionate. 

£100 speeding fine for 34 mph on a Sunday afternoon when the roads were empty.

8 minutes ago, Anna B said:

£100 speeding fine for 34 mph on a Sunday afternoon when the roads were empty.

Why do you think that is excessive?

It seems proportionate to me, given the increased danger caused by driving at >10% over the limit. 

Were you offered a speed awareness course?

6 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

Why do you think that is excessive?

It seems proportionate to me, given the increased danger caused by driving at >10% over the limit. 

Were you offered a speed awareness course?

Halifax road. Speed limit changes from 30 to 40 and back to 30 again, very badly signposted. 

Maybe you should try looking at £100 as a percentage of weekly income?

Yes I was offered a speed awareness course, £90 + petrol to get there, and an afternoon of my time. So not much difference.

Edited by Anna B

8 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Halifax road. Speed limit changes from 30 to 40 and back to 30 again, very badly signposted. 

Yes I was offered a speed awareness course, £90 + petrol to get there, and an afternoon of my time. So not much difference.

Insurance is affected for the next 5 years following points/speeding conviction

11 minutes ago, Anna B said:

The amount you’re fined in court depends on what the speed limit was and how much over it you were driving. It’s usually a percentage of your weekly income, up to a maximum of £1,000; that sounds fair.

5 minutes ago, El Cid said:

The amount you’re fined in court depends on what the speed limit was and how much over it you were driving. It’s usually a percentage of your weekly income, up to a maximum of £1,000; that sounds fair.

I took the course for that very reason Janus. The guy taking it was actually very good, let us all have a good grumble first, (which we did.)

This was a standard charge, didn't even know you could take it to court. How much does that cost the country?