Police Officer Hit Swfc Fan On The Head With His Baton

10 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

8th February 2020

Thanks Jim.

Always a bit of aggro at Barnsley and last season was no different, plenty of coppers but the the fans can not be kept apart very well as they mingle and cross paths going back into the town centre and the train station, there is always a face off and a bit of handbags, I have only seen video footage of the outcome of this incident and not everything leading up to it, but having read reports online it sounds like the lad was involved in an altercation and the copper gave him a crack, I have traditionally backed some of the heavy handed policing in violent situations over the years, however in recent years police 'inactivity' when dealing with some violent protests and aggressive protesters has convinced me of their double standards.

Football fans generally have been treated quite badly for many years in comparison, I have seen many incidents at football up and down the country first hand, it seems the copper was out of order in this incident and his actions more comparable with how police deal with rowdy football fans on parts of the continent and not here in the UK.

I've seen the video that shows the copper crack the lad and the aftermath. I do not expect a police officer to use that kind of force unless they feel in danger of their life or it was the only way to subdue an offender. From what I have seen o don't think this was the situation the copper found himself in. 

At the moment my thoughts are that I hope the copper gets what he deserves, it appears to be an appalling use of force. 

We're not in the 1980s anymore. Hooligan fans back then were met with hooligan policing and probably rightly so. The cops and robbers as it were...gave as good as they got.  We shouldn't be seeing this in 2020 though I think we can all agree on that, police shouldn't be hitting kids in the face for no good reason.

Is there a good reason for an officer to hit a young lad in the face ?

Officer in question has now been charged 

As this is now an ongoing case the thread will be closed