Moving Back To Sheffield. Suggestions

Hello.

I have just been offered a job in Sheffield. I am from Sheff originally, but lived in Lincoln since 2015.

I will be looking to move back to Sheff as the commute will be way too long, esp. when rush hour returns to normal.

New job is in the city centre (although with parking), but might also have to work near Hillsborough or Crystal Peaks.

I was just about to bid on a house on the outskirts of Nottingham (near Ikea). It was a 3 bed semi for £160,000.

In Lincoln, you could also get a 3 bed semi about 4-5 miles outside the centre for the same money

So, I know my money will not go as far in Sheffield. For the same money, if I’m looking at a 2-3 bed terrace n somewhere like Woodseats etc (that’s where I loved before moving to Lincoln).

For some reason, I don’t really want to move to the outskirts of Sheff (i.e. Killamarsh, Dronfiled etc) as I want to be able to cycle into work if poss (so, 6miles)

Anyone got any suggestions other the the usual (Meersbrook, woodseats, Walkley) etc?

heeley,meersbrook are ideal as you say,netheredge is also a idea,theres a huge devolopment at top of prince of wales road,manor area,but new estate to buy,theres plenty of nice places,new flats at side of tesco archer road/abbeydale road.good luck

Go for something on the tram route. The tram doesn't get caught up in the traffic. The Wooseats/Meersbrook  corridor is a permanent rush hour.

You don't really want to cycle from town to Walkley,

You'll need an oxygen mask and a Sherpa.

Woodseats and Meersbrook are no cycling Picnic either.

In to Town, fine, but getting home? No thanks!

Lower Hillsborough would be a decent flat bike ride.

As above, the mid Abbeydale Road would suit a cycle commute.

Edited by Hotmale 1954

14 minutes ago, Hotmale 1954 said:

You don't really want to cycle from town to Walkley,

You'll need an oxygen mask and a Sherpa.

Woodseats and Meersbrook are no cycling Picnic either.

In to Town, fine, but getting home? No thanks!

Lower Hillsborough would be a decent flat bike ride.

As above, the mid Abbeydale Road would suit a cycle commute.

the old cycling route (and im a fattie) was via abbeydale then up woodseats road. Up the hills main road to woodseats (forgot the name) isnt too bad. 

9 minutes ago, Hotmale 1954 said:

I'm not from that area.

Is it Woodseats Road?

chesterfield road is the main one from town up to norton

woodseats round links abbeydale and woodseats 

Honestly, don't... get a job else-where....

I'd take any opportunity offered to get outta this place imho...

But as most others have said, heeley, meersbrooke, chesterfield road, nether edge etc.... 

You can get a 3-bed semi in Sheff within a few miles of the city centre for that money too if that's what you want.

It's just a question of whether you want to live in that location. Chances are it'll be East of the A61 or it'll be up to half a mile West of it. Get one of those near a tram route and it could work. Or go for a terrace in the areas already suggested.

22 hours ago, Ghozer said:

Honestly, don't... get a job else-where....

take any opportunity offered to get outta this place imho...

I think you will find Sheffield a very different place than when you left it. I left the city 4yrs ago and don't regret it one little bit.

Many properties in Sheffield are leasehold, just watch out for this. That can turn into a nightmare.

On 14/11/2020 at 12:58, sedith said:

Many properties in Sheffield are leasehold, just watch out for this. That can turn into a nightmare.

Depends on length of unexpired term, amount of ground rent each year, and- sadly- on who is the landlord (freehold reversioner).

My freehold was administered by CHAPS. Although the house was a newish Hassall Home on Waterthorpe, there was only 67yrs left on the 99yr lease. No chance of extending the lease CHAPS informed me. In effect the house was unmortgageable. A lot of properties on the Mosborough Townships are leasehold, that's why they are cheap. When we moved in to the Waterthorpe the price to buy the freehold 1.5k, because I was undecided it cost me in excess of 5k. The only places I know where this practice is common is London and Sheffield, correct me if I am wrong? Another consideration, don't buy anything on or near the proposed HS2 route. These locomotives barrelling along at 200mph aren't quiet.