Jump to content RIP Sheffield Admin Mort

Peter Sutcliffe - The Yorkshire Ripper Is Dead.

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Mister M said:

There's a really good two part documentary on YouTube, produced by either the BBC or ITN, which focusses on the investigation which was mired with mistakes. The policeman from South Yorkshire who first questioned Sutcliffe when he spotted him in a car with a woman at night, went back the next morning to the spot where he noticed Sutcliffe's car , and found Sutcliffe's hammer.

I think it was in Broomhall

It was behind a water tank at the bottom of some gardens which belonged to a building on Westbourne road - there is a little lane that separates the bottom of gardens and the girls school fence/playground from memory. I was on a YTS in the next building on Westbourne road bac in 1986-88. The two bobbies in a panda stopped him on that little lane as his tax was not in date - lucky, but all the same good policing, especially looking at tax discs at night via torch. I beleive [S made his excuses and asked to go for a pee in the gardens, this is when he hid the tools - hammer, chisel, screwdriver etc. I believe the police got suspicious and went and checked where he had been, and found them. 

Edited by lovabulrogue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, lovabulrogue said:

It was behind a water tank at the bottom of some gardens which belonged to a building on Westbourne road - there is a little lane that separates the bottom of gardens and the girls school fence/playground from memory. I was on a YTS in the next building on Westbourne road bac in 1986-88. The two bobbies in a panda stopped him on that little lane as his tax was not in date - lucky, but all the same good policing, especially looking at tax discs at night via torch. I beleive [S made his excuses and asked to go for a pee in the gardens, this is when he hid the tools - hammer, chisel, screwdriver etc. I believe the police got suspicious and went and checked where he had been, and found them. 

They mentioned Westbourne Rd on the news this afternoon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was definitely Melbourne Avenue. He chose the location because it's a dead end road to cars, and quiet,  especially once the school has closed for the day. Apart from a business and the school, there aren't any residential properties on that road.

 

(There are now; there is a retirement block which was built in the years since)

 

In case anyone is really interested, Light Trades House isn't called that anymore, and I'm not going to name the business which now inhabits it out of respect for them. It's not something as a business you especially want to be associated with.

Edited by the_bloke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, the_bloke said:

It was definitely Melbourne Avenue. He chose the location because it's a dead end road to cars, and quiet,  especially once the school has closed for the day. Apart from a business and the school, there aren't any residential properties on that road.

 

(There are now; there is a retirement block which was built in the years since)

It wasn’t a dead end at the time. It was very quiet and a poorly kept, poorly lit road, but you could drive from Newbould Lane to Southbourne Road.

 

He was definitely caught on Melbourne Avenue, you are correct. I lived at the end of the road for years. Before that, I lived on Alma Road in Leeds, the scene of one of Sutcliffe’s murders.


I’m quite glad he’s gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if Look Leeds will dedicate their programme tonight to him, as they did with that other cretin Saville?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After his trial and he was told he would never be released seriously should  have been taken outside to face the firing squad without a blindfold ,saved the country millions

 

Edited by jacklev1
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, West 77 said:

Yes, he was caught thanks to good police work by that individual. In those days they didn't have the benefit of computers which would certainly have helped the police to manage all the information and evidence they had gathered during the enquiry. We also have CCTV cameras, number plate recognition cameras and DNA will all help to solve crimes quicker and bring those guilty to justice quicker. What we don't have now is the death penalty just like we didn't when Sutcliffe was found guilty at the Old Bailey. 

 

We were there the night Sutcliffe was arrested.

Little known fact, the staff at 'the Little Mesters' public house in Broomhall actually reported 'a strange character who stood out like a sore thumb' to the Police and it was only after that did the Police come across Sutcliffe.

We knew 3 days before it was actually announced the Police had him in custody.

I always thought it strange the first time Sutcliffe, as far as we know comes to Sheffield to commit murder is he's caught.

 

Dark Days.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jacklev1 said:

After his trial and he was told he would never be released seriously should  have been taken outside to face the firing squad without a blindfold ,saved the country millions

 

Believe it or not we are civilised we dont do that type of thing, even to those we dont like.

 

Anyway he hated being locked up, when he was in prison anyway, just a pity he got an early release, still in prison would be doing his head in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should have been first pasted, then shot immediately it was obvious he was the ripper and saved millions of pounds.

Edited by prince al

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Pettytom said:

It wasn’t a dead end at the time. It was very quiet and a poorly kept, poorly lit road, but you could drive from Newbould Lane to Southbourne Road.

 

He was definitely caught on Melbourne Avenue, you are correct. I lived at the end of the road for years. Before that, I lived on Alma Road in Leeds, the scene of one of Sutcliffe’s murders.


I’m quite glad he’s gone.

Pretty sure it was. I lived on Clarkegrove Road from 77-79 and walked past that junction most days to the Nottingham House in Broomhill. 

Edited by Longcol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.