Peter Sutcliffe - The Yorkshire Ripper Is Dead.

It's near Westbourne Rd but it was 3 Melbourne Avenue, Sheffield S10 2QJ. See the post on Page 6 by chocki in 2011 on one of the She ff History threads:

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/48372-where-in-sheffield-was-peter-sutcliffe-arrested/page/6/#comments

Edited by Bilge

It was definitely Melbourne Avenue. He chose the location because it's a dead end road to cars, and quiet,  especially once the school has closed for the day. Apart from a business and the school, there aren't any residential properties on that road.

(There are now; there is a retirement block which was built in the years since)

In case anyone is really interested, Light Trades House isn't called that anymore, and I'm not going to name the business which now inhabits it out of respect for them. It's not something as a business you especially want to be associated with.

Edited by the_bloke

3 minutes ago, the_bloke said:

It was definitely Melbourne Avenue. He chose the location because it's a dead end road to cars, and quiet,  especially once the school has closed for the day. Apart from a business and the school, there aren't any residential properties on that road.

(There are now; there is a retirement block which was built in the years since)

It wasn’t a dead end at the time. It was very quiet and a poorly kept, poorly lit road, but you could drive from Newbould Lane to Southbourne Road.

He was definitely caught on Melbourne Avenue, you are correct. I lived at the end of the road for years. Before that, I lived on Alma Road in Leeds, the scene of one of Sutcliffe’s murders.

I’m quite glad he’s gone.

I wonder if Look Leeds will dedicate their programme tonight to him, as they did with that other cretin Saville?!

After his trial and he was told he would never be released seriously should  have been taken outside to face the firing squad without a blindfold ,saved the country millions

Edited by jacklev1
Spelling

7 hours ago, West 77 said:

Yes, he was caught thanks to good police work by that individual. In those days they didn't have the benefit of computers which would certainly have helped the police to manage all the information and evidence they had gathered during the enquiry. We also have CCTV cameras, number plate recognition cameras and DNA will all help to solve crimes quicker and bring those guilty to justice quicker. What we don't have now is the death penalty just like we didn't when Sutcliffe was found guilty at the Old Bailey. 

We were there the night Sutcliffe was arrested.

Little known fact, the staff at 'the Little Mesters' public house in Broomhall actually reported 'a strange character who stood out like a sore thumb' to the Police and it was only after that did the Police come across Sutcliffe.

We knew 3 days before it was actually announced the Police had him in custody.

I always thought it strange the first time Sutcliffe, as far as we know comes to Sheffield to commit murder is he's caught.

Dark Days.

2 hours ago, jacklev1 said:

After his trial and he was told he would never be released seriously should  have been taken outside to face the firing squad without a blindfold ,saved the country millions

Believe it or not we are civilised we dont do that type of thing, even to those we dont like.

Anyway he hated being locked up, when he was in prison anyway, just a pity he got an early release, still in prison would be doing his head in.

Should have been first pasted, then shot immediately it was obvious he was the ripper and saved millions of pounds.

Edited by prince al

5 hours ago, Pettytom said:

It wasn’t a dead end at the time. It was very quiet and a poorly kept, poorly lit road, but you could drive from Newbould Lane to Southbourne Road.

He was definitely caught on Melbourne Avenue, you are correct. I lived at the end of the road for years. Before that, I lived on Alma Road in Leeds, the scene of one of Sutcliffe’s murders.

I’m quite glad he’s gone.

Pretty sure it was. I lived on Clarkegrove Road from 77-79 and walked past that junction most days to the Nottingham House in Broomhill. 

Edited by Longcol

2 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

We were there the night Sutcliffe was arrested.

Little known fact, the staff at 'the Little Mesters' public house in Broomhall actually reported 'a strange character who stood out like a sore thumb' to the Police and it was only after that did the Police come across Sutcliffe.

We knew 3 days before it was actually announced the Police had him in custody.

I always thought it strange the first time Sutcliffe, as far as we know comes to Sheffield to commit murder is he's caught.

Dark Days.

Sutcliffe actually visited Sheffield quite regularly. Where Grenoside crematorium is now the site was a freight company called Lep Air Services. A friend who worked there dealt with Sutcliffe, who was a lorry driver, on a regular basis unaware he was chatting and joking with a mass murderer.

48 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Pretty sure it was. I lived on Clarkegrove Road from 77-79 and walked past that junction most days to the Nottingham House in Broomhill. 

You could drive in through the gate at the Newbould Lane end. Melbourne House was the teacher training centre. I spent quite a few wasted weeks there in the mid 80s.  From memory, the bollards went into the gate in about 1990.

ETA: I’ve just consulted with a very long standing member of staff at King Ted’s who thinks that the end of the road was blocked in 1995.

It wasn’t a drive that you’d choose to make though.

Edited by Pettytom