Peter Sutcliffe - The Yorkshire Ripper Is Dead.

30 minutes ago, Mister M said:

There's a really good two part documentary on YouTube, produced by either the BBC or ITN, which focusses on the investigation which was mired with mistakes. The policeman from South Yorkshire who first questioned Sutcliffe when he spotted him in a car with a woman at night, went back the next morning to the spot where he noticed Sutcliffe's car , and found Sutcliffe's hammer.

I think it was in Broomhall

Saw the program on TV.  The early investigation was riddled with mistakes but justice was done when the quick thinking Sheffield policeman found the all important hammer.

@West 77

I doubt that the death penalty would have deterred Sutcliffe.  

Technology was  much more advanced in  2020. I don't think the police are any nearer to catching  Jill Dando's killer even now. She was murdered in 1999.

I think they would have caught Sutcliffe much earlier though.

Edited by Janus

One of the arresting officer lived at Grenoside.

I would say it was more Broomhill than Broomhall 

My grandparents lived two street s away and used to go "conkering" on the lane.

35 minutes ago, West 77 said:

I agree the death penalty wouldn't have deterred Sutcliffe, but he didn't deserve to live for over 40 years after he started to murder innocent women. The death penalty is an appropriate punishment for certain horrendous crimes as well as a deterrent to some.

The difference with the Jill Dando murder is that appears to be a one off incident.  Today there is more CCTV cameras and mobile phone use than in 1999 which helps the police to gather evidence to solve crimes nowadays.

Completly agree with both your post.

2 hours ago, Mister M said:

There's a really good two part documentary on YouTube, produced by either the BBC or ITN, which focusses on the investigation which was mired with mistakes. The policeman from South Yorkshire who first questioned Sutcliffe when he spotted him in a car with a woman at night, went back the next morning to the spot where he noticed Sutcliffe's car , and found Sutcliffe's hammer.

Thank you for the information. I’ll make a note of that.  I seem to watch a lot of things on YouTube these days.

I’m sure they took him straight  into Dodd St, police station after catching him in Broomhall.

Thought it was Hammerton Road he ended up in.

I think that's in the long Youtube documentary

Sergeant Bob Ring and a rookie constable caught Sutcliffe.

I think it was at a building called 'Free Trades House' or something similar.

Broomhill, not Broomhall. His car was spotted in the car park of a business on Melbourne Avenue. The business has changed and the building been renamed but it's not much different.

52 minutes ago, butlers said:

Thought it was Hammerton Road he ended up in.

I think that's in the long Youtube documentary

Sorry you are right, and I’m wrong.

4 hours ago, Mister M said:

It was behind a water tank at the bottom of some gardens which belonged to a building on Westbourne road - there is a little lane that separates the bottom of gardens and the girls school fence/playground from memory. I was on a YTS in the next building on Westbourne road bac in 1986-88. The two bobbies in a panda stopped him on that little lane as his tax was not in date - lucky, but all the same good policing, especially looking at tax discs at night via torch. I beleive [S made his excuses and asked to go for a pee in the gardens, this is when he hid the tools - hammer, chisel, screwdriver etc. I believe the police got suspicious and went and checked where he had been, and found them. 

Edited by lovabulrogue

3 minutes ago, lovabulrogue said:

It was behind a water tank at the bottom of some gardens which belonged to a building on Westbourne road - there is a little lane that separates the bottom of gardens and the girls school fence/playground from memory. I was on a YTS in the next building on Westbourne road bac in 1986-88. The two bobbies in a panda stopped him on that little lane as his tax was not in date - lucky, but all the same good policing, especially looking at tax discs at night via torch. I beleive [S made his excuses and asked to go for a pee in the gardens, this is when he hid the tools - hammer, chisel, screwdriver etc. I believe the police got suspicious and went and checked where he had been, and found them. 

They mentioned Westbourne Rd on the news this afternoon.