Jump to content RIP Sheffield Admin Mort

Chapel Walk

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, Anna B said:

Chapel walk should be a jewel in the crown of city centre planning. It has enormous potential, and a great location.

In its heyday - late 60's, 70's? - it certainly was a jewel - and the 'authorities' knew it.

For the time, rent and rates were levied accordingly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, AndrewC said:

The scaffolding that has plagued the top end has come down now (bar some at ground level because paperchase is being fitted out, I believe). That's certainly been up too long and the council have some blame to accept for that.

 

Otherwise, I'd be interested to know what some of the people posting above think the actions/responsibilities are that the council should have in relation to Chapel Walk? I doubt they have much control over the rent, or the upkeep of the premises, or the general difficulties many independent retailers have faced over the last 20 years, be that Sheffield or anywhere, scaffolding or no scaffolding?

Are the council in charge of business rates and thungs like that? As Thirsty relic says it would be a great place for independent start ups and the like, but that would probably take some manipulation by the council to make it affordable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i know the 2 chaps that own the nice card shop there,they built it up from nothing,but the scaffolding caused problems,then covid 19,because that closed marks at the chapel walk entrance thats always busy,so theve put a manager in that branch and opened a new branch in dronfield,where i visited a few weeks ago and he said he was opening another shop there as well,but did say he would try his best to keep chapel walk going,but stated  there was little help or rates ect,but it was a nice and could still be a great small shop keeper starter area or more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/11/2020 at 18:26, abbeyedges said:

In the 1960's it had a Carnaby Street feel about it. 

It was like Carnaby Street, I was  mod, the trouble was I couldn't afford most of the clothes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bassett one said:

i know the 2 chaps that own the nice card shop there,they built it up from nothing,but the scaffolding caused problems,then covid 19,because that closed marks at the chapel walk entrance thats always busy,so theve put a manager in that branch and opened a new branch in dronfield,where i visited a few weeks ago and he said he was opening another shop there as well,but did say he would try his best to keep chapel walk going,but stated  there was little help or rates ect,but it was a nice and could still be a great small shop keeper starter area or more.

I know the shop - have used it a few times and each time found a very helpful (not pushy) and knowledgeable guy in charge of it.  That's the kind of shopping experience I like.  Ditto the hippy-type shop closeby (next door?) - great for leisurely shopping and quirky purchases.  Hope both survive post-Covid and help Chapel Walk flourish again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ALL it needs is more owner /run type shops,they started small,took little out and reinvested and worked hard,in norfolk theres a seaside resort and the council ensure one of everything and try to get owners on board most days,the service then is top class,the goods varied,pleasant places to eat in and quality at sensible prices,no large kentuckys,coffee types all small owners,it works well for them and its customers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bassett one said:

ALL it needs is more owner /run type shops,they started small,took little out and reinvested and worked hard,in norfolk theres a seaside resort and the council ensure one of everything and try to get owners on board most days,the service then is top class,the goods varied,pleasant places to eat in and quality at sensible prices,no large kentuckys,coffee types all small owners,it works well for them and its customers.

Birds Yard is a terrific shop. Sells all sorts of original and hand crafted items, run as a co-operative I believe, with all traders taking a shift behind the tills. Great example to follow.I always pop in when I'm in town, but not been in since lockdown started. I hope it survives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/11/2020 at 21:52, Anna B said:

Are the council in charge of business rates and thungs like that? As Thirsty relic says it would be a great place for independent start ups and the like, but that would probably take some manipulation by the council to make it affordable.

The government set business rates.

 

https://www.gov.uk/introduction-to-business-rates/how-your-rates-are-calculated

 

"Business rates are worked out based on your property’s ‘rateable value’.

This is its open market rental value on 1 April 2015, based on an estimate by the Valuation Office Agency (VOA).

You can estimate your business rates by multiplying the rateable value by the correct ‘multiplier’ (an amount set by central government)."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What was the problem that's keeping that scaffolding there at the junction of Chapel Walk/Fargate? It's been there forever, and you rarely see any work going on.  It's such an obstruction, I'm surprised the Council has let it go on so long.  

Edited by feargal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, feargal said:

What was the problem that's keeping that scaffolding there at the junction of Chapel Walk/Fargate? It's been there forever, and you rarely see any work going on.  It's such an obstruction, I'm surprised the Council has let it go on so long.  

It’s gone now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/11/2020 at 20:52, Anna B said:

Are the council in charge of business rates and thungs like that? As Thirsty relic says it would be a great place for independent start ups and the like, but that would probably take some manipulation by the council to make it affordable.

Not sure what flexibility SCC have in varying business rates. I think it's already a variable rate based on a number of factors, so it already takes in to account the size and nature of the businesses. I'm not sure what flexibility they have to subsidise or cancel altogether the BR for one street? Guess it probably could be done.

Edited by AndrewC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

Not sure what flexibility SCC have in varying business rates. I think it's already a variable rate based on a number of factors, so it already takes in to account the size and nature of the businesses. I'm not sure what flexibility they have to subsidise or cancel altogether the BR for one street? Guess it probably could be done.

See #20 above.

 

Business rates are set by the government.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.