Monk Sacked

Caught a bit of  'Praise & Grumble' tonight,  They interviewed 3 fans who were heavily involved in their clubs, (they ran fans' forums, did club podcasts, that sort of thing), one each from Stoke, West Brom & Middlesbrough. 

Only the bloke from Stoke was complementary about Pulis.  The others views were that he was the most uninspired manager that their clubs had ever had.  The football was defensive minded & both the West Brom &  Middlesbrough supporters recalled that games could pass on a regular basis, where their teams never had a shot on goal in 90 mins, then find themselves loosing by a single goal. 

On the upside, all 3 agreed that he'll be capable of keeping you in tbe division. 

21 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Caught a bit of  'Praise & Grumble' tonight,  They interviewed 3 fans who were heavily involved in their clubs, (they ran fans' forums, did club podcasts, that sort of thing), one each from Stoke, West Brom & Middlesbrough. 

Only the bloke from Stoke was complementary about Pulis.  The others views were that he was the most uninspired manager that their clubs had ever had.  The football was defensive minded & both the West Brom &  Middlesbrough supporters recalled that games could pass on a regular basis, where their teams never had a shot on goal in 90 mins, then find themselves loosing by a single goal. 

On the upside, all 3 agreed that he'll be capable of keeping you in tbe division. 

My Bold

I will be whole heartedly satisfied with that, i honestly thought we would be relegated we where sure going that way. 

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

He got 'Boro to the play offs one season and just missed out the next, he got and kept Stoke in the Prem for far longer than they would have dreamed of,  its a pity they didn't ask these uber fans what they've thought of their flirts with relegation and mediocrity ever since, good try.

13 hours ago, MJ01 said:

I can't be the only one to notice that Tony Pulis is an anagram of Linty Opus, & I think that will be the story of the remainder of the season

As long as we don't get any broken legs and then it could be You Splint.

2 hours ago, Brooker11 said:

He got 'Boro to the play offs one season and just missed out the next, he got and kept Stoke in the Prem for far longer than they would have dreamed of,  its a pity they didn't ask these uber fans what they've thought of their flirts with relegation and mediocrity ever since, good try.

That play-off you've mentioned was with Aston Villa.  The Middlesbrough fan spoke of this & said in the first leg, at home, they played defensive football, never took the home advantage & lost 1 - 0.

Second leg at Villa when Middlesbrough knew what they had to do, once again, nothing & not a shot on goal in 90 mins.  Middlesbrough only managed 2 shots in the first game. 

I've managed to dig out the second match:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44035613

Think the guy from Middlesbrough is in a better position to discuss Pulis than you at this stage & he's entitled to his opinion, having witnessed him at first hand & let's face it, before being appointed, if any one had asked your opinion of him as a football manager, you'd have dismissed him & his style of football offhand?

Strange that a club would take on a new manager with a worse win ratio percentage than the one they've just sacked  & someone who was interviewed last time round but wasn't considered suitable?  Only reason I can think of this time round is that Pulis has a reputation for operating on a shoestring at clubs who are struggling financially. 

So, good try yourself. 

Edited by Baron99

5 hours ago, Baron99 said:

On the upside, all 3 agreed that he'll be capable of keeping you in the division. 

Ripe for when the Blades come calling after they sack Wilder by Christmas

7 hours ago, cmonkes said:

Oh the pain of watching a successful club, living the dream that you so desperately want.....

I still get a chuckle out of all those "Return to the Premiership" season ticket campaigns. 

we toyed with the idea to sign marco silva ,but bottled the idea ,he was 1st choice by everyone of the family,but after lots of chats with others  it was decided to go safe and chose tony pullis,todays sun,i believe this,pity i would of gone for marco a young coach,who am i right in saying put most of the everton squad together,but pity

9 hours ago, bassett one said:

we toyed with the idea to sign marco silva ,but bottled the idea ,he was 1st choice by everyone of the family,but after lots of chats with others  it was decided to go safe and chose tony pullis,todays sun,i believe this,pity i would of gone for marco a young coach,who am i right in saying put most of the everton squad together,but pity

Think you are reading too much into that Bassett, you are trying to make out that Silva was interested but that wasn't the case really.

"...

ex-Everton boss Silva is among the names touted to candidates to replace Monk at Wednesday.

However, Silva will not take the job at Hillsborough, as the Portuguese is not interested in dropping down to the Championship following a stint in the top flight.

Wednesday, who are currently languishing in 23rd in the league, will now look to rope in their fifth manager in three years to succeed Monk at the club...."

20 hours ago, cmonkes said:

Oh the pain of watching a successful club, living the dream that you so desperately want.....

I have no wish to watch my team in the VAR ruined Premier League, I don't call one win in about 15 games successful either.

Untill Wednesday get the recruitment right,it wont really matter what manager comes in,Wenger,Guardiola,Ferguson,would achieve the same outcome with the current and past squads.

Footballs not about spending billions in one go,its about acquiring the best players you can afford,to fit the plan you have to be successfull.

About 5 years ago Brentford opted to recruit on a stats based system,where they refined every available stat to the finest detail,to play an attacking expansive 451 cum 433,with a budget based on 9000 fans average attendance,a heavy ask,which conflicted with Mark Warburtons choice of recruitment so he left his job.

Brentford have since gone on to be a side that plays the way the owners wanted,and along the way accumulated millions in transfer fees and yet replaced the players like for like under their system and are a strong attack minded side that everyone wants to watch,and achieved this on the same budget,and moved to a larger more modern new stadium in the bargain.

Which all goes to prove that strong leadership is the key asset and not cash if its spent unwisely

13 hours ago, Brooker11 said:

I have no wish to watch my team in the VAR ruined Premier League, I don't call one win in about 15 games successful either.

Agree on VAR. I think it will take a few years for it to slowly, and quietly, be dropped.  Too much egg on face for the powers that be, to hold their hands up and say it was a mistake.