Superb Sheffielders! - west st/Glossop Road (Especially Boots)

There is so much bad news around lately, so I thought I would post some positive news, about our great city and the people in it, who today helped my parents who are in their 80s.

I had a phone call earlier from my Dad, saying ''don't worry, but Mum taken to hospital after taken ill in town''

Of course, immediate worry!

can you get a taxi down here. (as I don't have a car anymore)

So I frantically called a taxi, and told them, please hurry. And it was here in 5 minutes, thanks Excel.

Got to town (was begged at within 1 second of getting out of taxi on West St/Glossop Road for cigarettes! so town is no different! haha)

I saw their car which was abandoned on West St. Found my Dad, and he explained a little, but was clearly in a bit of shock.

I tried to start their car, but the battery was flat from warning lights on for an hour! So had to call AA, there in 20 minutes, and sound bloke. That was a headache! I wanted to push start it, but I couldn't turn the steering wheel without the power steering! 

She's now released and hopefully ok... before I talk more, so you know she is ok.

Obviously only now when they are relaxed I can hear the full story as they recall it...

I'm not entirely sure of the timeline as they aren't, and what order things happened!

They were going to town to get her new hearing aid, and she started to feel ill, and they pulled up in that layby opposite Glossop Road Baths, several members of the public offered help as she was clearly unwell. 

They can't remember many specifically, but many helped them (thanks to you all), but said one looked like a student age and sounded like he knew what he was doing, a med student they thought.

Then my Dad, who can't hear very well, so couldn't call 999 and answer questions, went into Boots to ask for tissues and for help. Their staff came out, looked after both of them, and from what they said were absolutely lovely (so I thank them too), they even phoned ambulance for them, as my Dad can't hear the phone well enough, and neither can my Mum! 

Ambulance took her away - (she said ambulance staff were amazing)

Then my Dad was kind of stuck, probably not knowing what to do, and Boots staff brought him tea and biscuits, (and took him into the store to sit down and look after him)

Also someone that helped them probably before* and after, (*because my Mum remembers him too), she said he was perhaps Mediterranean, and they both think came from a shop nearby on the corner, so I think perhaps from Jimmy's from how they described it, who after all this offered to take my Dad home, or to the hospital. They'll recognise you whoever it was, they said could be from that new place, but whoever. (thanks from me again, whoever it was)

Staff at the hospital were absolutely superb with my Mum. She said they are very funny, making a lot of jokes! They are so good. 

They told her exactly what to do, so Mum and Dad are calm now.

Thanks to these people in Sheffield, and especially Boots, and the guy that offered lifts, and the staff of the NHS. I suspect you'll get some boxes of chocolates! 

When I dropped them off, at home, Mum noticed a Boots jacket! She said. 'oh yes!' , I remember now they gave us a warm jacket and said don't worry about it. I doubt you want it back! haha

Thanks  to all that helped, and especially Boots staff, as they dealt with the situation so well! 

xxx

Edited by nikki-red

😀

Good to hear Ash, hope they are both doing well!

Hope they're both okay now. 

It's easy to forget that there are some really decent people around who will do anything to help strangers when they really need it.

What a very stressful day for you and your Mum and Dad but a happy ending. I hope you're Mum is feeling better soon.

54 minutes ago, tzijlstra said:

😀

Good to hear Ash, hope they are both doing well!

47 minutes ago, mort said:

Hope they're both okay now. 

40 minutes ago, Sheffield Monks said:

It's easy to forget that there are some really decent people around who will do anything to help strangers when they really need it.

What a very stressful day for you and your Mum and Dad but a happy ending. I hope you're Mum is feeling better soon.

Thanks all for your well wishing :)

My Mum is a member here, but I'm sure trying to find long lost passwords isn't top of priority list! haha, hence I wanted to thank for them.

Hoping you are all well, in this stressful time as it is! x

53 minutes ago, Sheffield Monks said:

Yes, also, to make the story clearer, neither of them can hear very well now. So complex and unexpected situations that are bad for anyone, but when you can't hear, it's worse!

Thanks for posting the story - great to hear they are ok.  So much bad news going round that it's great to hear that there are many genuine good folk out there!

Glad to hear everyone's ok. And good news is good for everyone I reckon!

Result ash - good to hear everyone's OK and good folk stepped up when needed.

People can be a lot kinder than we sometimes give them credit for.

Glad all ended well. Thanks for sharing.

Happy she’s getting better big well done to all who helped it restores a bit of faith.

Thanks for all the good wishes, We're both  feeling much better now, and a big thanks to everyone who helped!