Preston North End V Sheffield Wednesday

I remember back when foreign clubs were featured more on telly back in the day. EVERY foreign 'keeper used to punch the ball every time. They were (as one manager used to say) Clowns. We were spoilt for great and good 'keepers back then. Springett and Alan Hodgy, the two Sheffield no 1's, used to catch the vast majority of shots and crosses. Very few fancy Dan 'tipping it over' or 'pushing it past the post' when grabbing the ball was 'on'. That said, I saw a 'keeper cleanly catch a Penalty last week. It was a joy to watch. Modern 'keepers, on the whole, are pretty average. Parrying the ball, punching the ball and guiding it past the post is often lauded as a 'great save' by the commentators. Usually, it gives the possession back to the other team, often leading to a goal. 60's and 70's 'keepers would laugh their socks off.

yes both clubs have had some great players in goal in and around here also

12 hours ago, Hotmale 1954 said:

I remember back when foreign clubs were featured more on telly back in the day. EVERY foreign 'keeper used to punch the ball every time. They were (as one manager used to say) Clowns. We were spoilt for great and good 'keepers back then. Springett and Alan Hodgy, the two Sheffield no 1's, used to catch the vast majority of shots and crosses. Very few fancy Dan 'tipping it over' or 'pushing it past the post' when grabbing the ball was 'on'. That said, I saw a 'keeper cleanly catch a Penalty last week. It was a joy to watch. Modern 'keepers, on the whole, are pretty average. Parrying the ball, punching the ball and guiding it past the post is often lauded as a 'great save' by the commentators. Usually, it gives the possession back to the other team, often leading to a goal. 60's and 70's 'keepers would laugh their socks off.

Their gloves are that big these days they should be able to catch Halleys Comet if it came towards them.

22 hours ago, Alextopman said:

Their gloves are that big these days they should be able to catch Halleys Comet if it came towards them.

Yeah, they should. You and I know they'd still 'push it round the post' or 'touch it over the bar'. It looks soooooooo much better. More spectacular.

22 hours ago, Alextopman said:

As stated in one of my previous post's,  a glove as big as a shovel, enables them to tip a ball round the post or over the bar.

But doe's it make it harder to catch a ball travelling at speed, are todays goalkeepers coached into punching the ball rather than attempting to catch it ?

I'd say yes the are.

When a ball came at a 'keeper, they used to get their chest behind the shot and clutch the ball to their chest when it hit. A two fisted punch has replaced this these days, thereby keeping the pressure on. Keepers DO sometimes clutch it to their chests these days (the ball's usually at a very average pace). They then drop to their knees (Oooo it were a difficult stop) and lower their head to the grass. What a save! It gets me angry. I don't watch football to see such rubbish. Catch it, clutch it, distribute it. Not wait for the camera!

Rant over.

Does anyone know the Goalkeeping Coach at S6?

Maybe it should be Kevin Pressman?

Edited by Hotmale 1954

4 minutes ago, Hotmale 1954 said:

I'd say yes the are.

When a ball came at a 'keeper, they used to get their chest behind the shot and clutch the ball to their chest when it hit. A two fisted punch has replaced this these days, thereby keeping the pressure on. Keepers DO sometimes clutch it to their chests these days (the ball's usually at a very average pace). They then drop to their knees (Oooo it were a difficult stop) and lower their head to the grass. What a save! It gets me angry. I don't watch football to see such rubbish. Catch it, clutch it, distribute it. Not wait for the camera!

Rant over.

Does anyone know the Goalkeeping Coach at S6?

Maybe it should be Kevin Pressman?

I can remember Tony Macedo  (Fulham),

Now he could turn a save into a dramatic stop.

20 minutes ago, Padders said:

I can remember Tony Macedo  (Fulham),

Now he could turn a save into a dramatic stop.

Funny you should mention Fulham because what of my greatest goalkeeping memories was a cup game against fulham where Hodgkinson stopped the ball with his face from three point blank shots and ended up unconcious, every time he lifted his head up another scorcher his him bang smack in the face.