Buying Hardwood Locally For Diy Joinery

6 hours ago, Janus said:

Is that just one length of 2.4 ×19mm  for a total price of £45?

When I enquired at my local diy for a small amount of hardwood, they didn't sell it. They sell just about everything else. There is probably very little demand due to the price.

Total price of £35.

Sadly. Delivered. I dunno, feels expensive, I agree - but where locally can I get it for a lot cheaper? That's my problem. I want stuff I can work with readily, not having a thicknesser, jointer etc.. This beech PAR should get me half way there.

On 06/11/2020 at 22:24, Hippogriff said:

Sadly. Delivered. I dunno, feels expensive, I agree - but where locally can I get it for a lot cheaper? That's my problem. I want stuff I can work with readily, not having a thicknesser, jointer etc.. This beech PAR should get me half way there.

I know it's not Sheff but Ponti's (Kinsley, near the dog track) not that far and I can recommend these guys from when I've been putting  cigar box guitars together.

Always helpful, certainly knowledgeable about wood and a good selection of Hardwoods always in stock, give them a call you never know.

https://www.kinsleytimber.co.uk/contact

Keep safe ps; the prices have always been right as well.

On 06/11/2020 at 22:24, Hippogriff said:

Did you try Lavers?

6 hours ago, peak4 said:

Did you try Lavers?

Would anyone?!

In my experience, their wood's always been a bit iffy.

On 05/11/2020 at 09:18, nikki-red said:

I’ve bought quite a bit of wood from Richardsons DIY at Firth Park. They have a wood workshop out the back.

I have no idea if they’d sell what you’re looking for but it might be worth giving them a ring?

I would recommend Richardson's too, we have bought all different kinds and sizes of wood from them over years, my other half is one who has worked with wood over the years so when he comes in later I will ask him if Richardsons do what you are looking for.

On 05/11/2020 at 15:02, Hippogriff said:

Possibly. I was looking at a well-reviewed Triton model (TPT125) that came in at a reasonable price... but everywhere seemed to be out of stock of it. It's quite an investment when you don't really know what you're buying... most of my other gear is Makita, but a Makita thicknesser is mega-money.

I'm looking for lengths of 13mm thick, 170mm wide beech... not because I'm fussy... because my road is full of beech trees, and also carries that name, so it had meaning.

On this occasion I may need to bite the bullet and purchase some 19mm thick, 170mm wide 2,100mm lengths of beech online (£33 each)... I have no bandsaw (or thicknesser) to thin them down, so what I make will be extra sturdy. 😲

Engaged, but dropped them an email from their Contact Us page... their stock list on the site implies not, but you never 

When it comes to woodworking machines the older the better 

Try Turners Retreat  near Doncaster.

They have a big range of hardwood,mainly blanks for wood turners,but may have something suitable for your requirements.

Great shop anyway for various craft tools.

I can source you hardwoods rough sawn or par I can also source veneers unless you want to pay big money eg Burr walnut bird's-eye maple  tiger maple anything you want to any size 

Edited by Consheff