Blades And Owls Banter

The immature schoolboy in me couldn't help laughing when listening to Brian Laws views on the Tony Pulis' appointment on Radio Sheffield this morning. 

"Tony knows what tools he has at his disposal at Hillsborough & he has to work with those tools."

He said "Tools", snigger 😂

Edited by Baron99

28 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

The immature schoolboy in me couldn't help laughing when listening to Brian Laws views on the Tony Pulis' appointment on Radio Sheffield this morning. 

"Tony knows what tools he has at his disposal at Hillsborough & he has to work with those tools."

Tbf that made me chuckle 😂😂

41 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Well, he certainly hit the nail on the head.

1 hour ago, Michael_W said:

Brian is quite a character and well known amongst Sheffield's amateur footballing community, he is also getting on in years, he is just a WUM, there is an old thread about him somewhere on this forum BTW. 

As for Blades and Owls banter it died a death in it's original form on here quite a few years ago, there is the odd jab thrown now and again but many of the 'hardcore' banter merchants got banned or lost interest eventually, anyway there is only a few things to argue about really and they have all been done to death, take your pick from the subjects of best club, best team, best players, best supporters, best matches and of course barring the last twenty years Wednesday tend to come out on top most frequently 😉

Older club

Built their own ground (which was bigger in capacity and much better than the cricket ground for much of it's history)

Had historically 'slightly' more (and recent) success trophy wise

Played in Europe

Generally been the better supported club over the years

Need I go on lol

History doesn't mean a thing regarding where they are now,

owls never been promoted into the premier league.

Not averaged 30,000 fans a season since the 1960's despite their European qualification.

Poorly run club with threats of administration and point deduction for breaking the rules.

Fans and club always on about what a BIG club they are but no one else knows why.

Not averaged 30,000 in a season since the 1960's

9 minutes ago, Alextopman said:

Not averaged 30,000 fans a season since the 1960's despite their European qualification.

Poorly run club with threats of administration and point deduction for breaking the rules.

Fans and club always on about what a BIG club they are but no one else knows why.

Has any club, North of Watford Gap averaged 30,000 in a season.

Make that Yorkshire clubs.

Edited by Padders

9 minutes ago, Padders said:

Has any club, North of Watford Gap averaged 30,000 in a season.

This is a Sheffield football page so the answer is 1 club United have since the 60's.

However  I should imagine a few from other areas. Newcastle, Sunderland, Leeds, Leicester, Liverpool, Man utd, Man City, Everton. etc etc.

Edited by Alextopman

4 minutes ago, Alextopman said:

This is a Sheffield football pagel so the answer is 1 since the 60's.

However  I should imagine a few from other areas. Newcastle, Sunderland, Leeds, Leicester, Liverpool, Man utd, Man City, Everton. etc etc.

I take your point Alex..

The Owls are in dire straights at the moment, but can still command 20 thousand plus.

Win 3/4 matches 25,000 plus.. 

Still a big club.

6 minutes ago, Padders said:

I take your point Alex..

The Owls are in dire straights at the moment, but can still command 20 thousand plus.

Still a big club.

That depends on what you consider big, by using that as a benchmark so are United.

Myself I think the term big club is way out of reach for both of us the way football is run now.

Edited by Alextopman

11 hours ago, Alextopman said:

History does mean something when it comes to banter, because we all argue about it, your post just proves it !

And yes with 'history' up comes the 30,000 average thing as usual, so when both Sheffield clubs were last in the Premier League at the same time, back in the 1990's, (a time which preceded the attendance boom of recent years, and consequently has seen United average 30,000 twice), United's average attendance was lower than Wednesday's.

So based on comparable 'history' how many do you think Wednesday could have averaged had they got back in the Premier League in the last 20 years ?

United have averaged less than 20,000 far more frequently than Wednesday since the 1960s and once averaged less than 10,000 too, here is the proof and a bit more besides :

SUFC average attendance stats

SWFC average attendance stats

Re, the 'bigger' attendances /better support argument, comparably over the years in terms of numbers and more consistently ... there's only one winner ... Wednesday, home and away !

You forgot to mention the state of the rust bucket compared to the cricket ground and the better Academy, as a Wednesday fan of many many years I can accept we are second to United at the moment but historically that has not always been the case and you should accept it. :wink:

I have never said we are a big club BTW 

Edited by Michael_W

5 hours ago, Michael_W said:

History does mean something when it comes to banter, because we all argue about it, your post just proves it !

And yes with 'history' up comes the 30,000 average thing as usual, so when both Sheffield clubs were last in the Premier League at the same time, back in the 1990's, (a time which preceded the attendance boom of recent years, and consequently has seen United average 30,000 twice), United's average attendance was lower than Wednesday's.

So based on comparable 'history' how many do you think Wednesday could have averaged had they got back in the Premier League in the last 20 years ?

United have averaged less than 20,000 far more frequently than Wednesday since the 1960s and once averaged less than 10,000 too, here is the proof and a bit more besides :

SUFC average attendance stats

SWFC average attendance stats

Re, the 'bigger' attendances /better support argument, comparably over the years in terms of numbers and more consistently ... there's only one winner ... Wednesday, home and away !

You forgot to mention the state of the rust bucket compared to the cricket ground and the better Academy, as a Wednesday fan of many many years I can accept we are second to United at the moment but historically that has not always been the case and you should accept it. :wink:

I have never said we are a big club BTW 

I think more recently the have been a lot closer and as far as my Dad's bigger than yours with crowds is concerned it doesn't bother me one bit, I'd be happy with Wednesday selling out every week as long as the better club is SUFC  which is the case now, I couldn't be bothered if I was the only person at the Lane I go to watch football not count crowds, everything I have posted is fact Wednesday had a year in European football and years in the premier but never managed to average 30,000  and haven't in over 50 years.  

As far as away support goes both clubs have brilliant support and away attendances are controlled by the number of away tickets available, who'd imagine Wednesday taking less than 900 to Leeds but then again Sky TV and the time of kick off does make a difference. 

Edited by Alextopman

21 hours ago, Alextopman said:

I think more recently the have been a lot closer and as far as my Dad's bigger than yours with crowds is concerned it doesn't bother me one bit, I'd be happy with Wednesday selling out every week as long as the better club is SUFC  which is the case now, I couldn't be bothered if I was the only person at the Lane I go to watch football not count crowds, everything I have posted is fact Wednesday had a year in European football and years in the premier but never managed to average 30,000  and haven't in over 50 years.  

As far as away support goes both clubs have brilliant support and away attendances are controlled by the number of away tickets available, who'd imagine Wednesday taking less than 900 to Leeds but then again Sky TV and the time of kick off does make a difference. 

You keep backing up my point though, I think you are bothered about the 'my dads bigger than yours stuff, it seems blatantly evident in your reply !

I posted fact too:

Quote = Re, the 'bigger' attendances /better support argument, comparably over the years in terms of numbers and more consistently ... there's only one winner ... Wednesday, home and away !

(I backed the home attendance averages up with links to the statistics)

And you keep posting your 30,000 jibe, which many Blades now throw into the banter about support, which typifies the fist rule of banter, when your on top you want to dish it out but when your not you don't, selective banter is easy, lot's of posters do it, but a lot of Blade posters noticeably disappeared off here when Wednesday got promoted back in 2012 and United were stuck in League One for a few more seasons, what your implying is that because your team is better at the moment we should only have banter about the here and now, it seems that just like the support at S2 your not bothered about it unless your top dog :wink:

Like I said in my earlier post, and my point is it has all been done to death over the years, posters do just come on with the 'my dads bigger than yours stuff', that's exactly what banter is .... at the moment neither side is getting any support and neither side is doing very well which in turn reduces the 'banter'.

Which in fact is the point the very first poster in the thread was making.

Edited by Michael_W

On 14/11/2020 at 22:02, Padders said:

I take your point Alex..

Still a big club.

Owls average gate last year was around the 18,573mark

according to worldfootball.net

Edited by pintor