The Christmas Logo Competition is back. See thread in Sheffield Discussions for details ×

Blades V Man City - Pl Gw 7

On we go then, into another fixture against some of the finest players in the world. It's no surprise in the slightest to see that the bookies have it down as a formality for city, you won't get much better than 2/7 for an away win.

You look at the individual game changes in the City side and it is nothing short of daunting. They have threats from all areas of the pitch, with the likes of De Bruyne, Sterling, Foden, Aguero, Rodri and many more. They could literally rotate a number of players and still pose a ridiculous threat to us.

But....we can't go into this on feeling overawed!

That Liverpool game last week was for me, one of the most composed and  disciplined performances of our last 20 games. We stuck to the task at the back, for the most we managed to nullify any Liverpool threat and we demonstrated the translation of good pre match planning, onto the playing surface. But this didn't come at the cost of playing our own game! We demonstrated confidence and  opposite going forwards, we didn't just sit back and keep Liverpool at bay, we attempted to get forwards and give some back. That is the mentality that kept us in the league last season and that is the consistent mentality that we need to adopt now!

We aren't going to find ourselves with bags of chances against City, therefore we desperately need to be better in front of goal. The chances created over the last few games have been in plenty, but the lack of clinical prowess up top is disappointing. I've harped on about it loads over the last three games and rightly so, because that we bagged just a few of those chances, we would have taken something from all of our last few games. We haven't been outclassed, our finishing has been sub standard and costly!

I am stating the obvious again but we have to be disciplined from the off again! If we find ourselves chasing the game from the early doors, City will stretch us and they have the players to get in behind, punish us and finish us off. I have no problem with growing into the game what so ever, if we have to absorb pressure for half hour then so be it, you expect to be under pressure against these sorts of players.  But we need to then apply our own game play and give City something to think about, as we did Liverpool.....to be honest I would expect that wilder expects this also. 

I don't know who he will go for in the starting XI?...but elements did work for me last week.

McBurnie for instance, probably the most frustrating player on the pitch for me at the minute. His move and work rate alone warrant MOTM consideration, but his conversion of chances hasn't been as good as we would like. He has done more than enough to give optimism that the goals will come, but they need to start coming sooner, rather than later.....For me, he's a starter.

Ampadu....the Liverpool game has to be considered his coming of age. He looks so composed in a defensive midfield role. He hassles the opposition in possession, he is so composed with the ball at his own feet and his distribution both long and short, is up there with the top household names....Again he warrants a starting role.

Brewster?....Perhaps a little overawed against his former club last week, but we need to persist! He knows where the net is, we just need him to find his feet, work out his position within the system and do what he does best. He won't achieve this sat on the bench. Should he have come on later in the Liverpool game?......maybe so. 

Anything comparable to the Liverpool performance will see us at least in the game.....anything substandard may well prove costly and even humiliating. Hitting the back of the net against one of the best club teams in Europe would be a massive confidence booster. 

I can't predict this in the slightest....huge ask, but if we take any points out of this game (even singular), then it is a fantastic day at the office. Should we opposed ourselves, play our game and just give everything, avoiding a massive loss......then it is a good day at the office. 

Either way, bring em on!....This is what this league is all about!

I think it's been shown recently the best form of defence is attack against these. Not much kop at the back but obviously too adventurous and it could be a massacre with their attacking players. I don't expect you to lose heavily anyway, it is possible to take points of them but not many will be expecting it.

Should anyone need to know through this medium, it's 1-0 to City.

Kyle Walker of all people after about 28 minutes.

20 minutes ago, Hotmale 1954 said:

To be fair, it has pretty much panned out how we would have expected.

City have thrown numbers at us in attack, they have the pace, flair and overall class to counter and teams up. But.... for the most, we have managed them superbly at the back. We have been very disciplined, we have tried to double man mark key players out of the game and we have been sensible in being alert of the potential City dangers. For the most, you can not knock our defending what so ever, because City don't get forward in 1s and 2s, they attack in 3s and 4s.

City's goal was a long distance, low, driven, walker'esque shot into the bottom corner. We know that he is capable of it, we know this is what City do....they throw a bus at you and space opens up outside of the box. But we could also argue that we have limited them to long range, as we have mopped everything up in the box.

We are however growing in confidence as the game moves on, we haven't been as effective as against Liverpool yet, but we are learning that we can get in behind them and pose a threat. The half time whistle came at a point when to be fair, we had just about started to realise the above and grow into the game a bit.

We now need to build on that in the second half. We are being and chasing the game, we have no choice now but to push on and have a pop at them. Its a shame that we have to go behind to adapt this mentality, but heads can't drop, we have to push on.

Come on united, let's kick on.

1 hour ago, Hotmale 1954 said:

Yeah, some unitedite he turned out to be. City ran rings round them all game but they seem to be lacking some killer instinct. The tippy sappy football may look good to some but they have to finish games off when they're that superior. Seemed to be trying to walk it in all game. Fully expected united to have a go that last 10 minutes but it wasn't to be.

We showed them too much respect at times, but City played some nice football.

Ramsdale outstanding in goal today, Man-of-the-Match for me, with Berge probably behind him.

McBurnie, waste of money.  Brewster needs time.  

Not creating chances.

I don't know what to say without sounding overly repetitive of previous fixtures to be honest?

It's another loss, but one in which you can draw plenty of positives from. But positives need building on, positives won't pull us up the table...only points will do that.

Am I at panic stations go?....no, not yet surprisingly. I think there are  good few teams in this league that we can beat with this brand of football. We do need to kick on quick however, get Chelsea out of the way, break that duck and kick on.

City are an exceptional team....they may not be running on all cylinders at the minute, but they have a squad that is packed full of game changers. When they attack you, they attack in numbers and really stretch opposition defenders. But we managed them very well today, we mopped up most of the pressure that they applied. The defenders were dogged and dug in deep and as Grappler said, when called upon....Ramsdale wall absolute class and a definite MOTM.

The game was always going to pan out in the way that it did, with City piling on wave after wave of pressure. I would have liked us to be a bit quicker out of the traps, in terms of forcing our own stamp on the game. It was only really that last 10 minutes of the first half, that we realised that we could actually get in behind them and cause problems.

I could harp on and on, but the same applies really. Fantastic composure and overall great defensive discipline, but on the back foot and far too willing to just sit back and stop City for way too long in the game.

We did have spells in the game in which we tried to cause City problems and we did create a handful of decent chances. We played some fantastic passing play in City's half of the pitch, loads of neat little triangles, off the ball movement and a good use of the overlapping full backs.....but once more they didn't do enough. The work rate was there, but with little threat to the opposition. 

There was still more than enough there to suggest that we can push on, loads of glimpses and bags of promise. But without hitting the back of the net? Eventually this would lead to problems and it needs addressing sooner, rather than later.

We are now two thirds through, what is a very tough trilogy. We have been far from disgraced but the best two teams in the league. We need to weather an in form Chelsea team and see if we can grab something front that....but we really need to kick on. 

Chins up at present, it is far from doom and gloom. Much more is required however!

Looking at  the  BBC stats, 90 mins, 3 shots, 1 on target.  Not good enough, even against the likes of Man City. 

I didn't see or listen to the match but I did hear the post-match interview with Wilder & clearly he had a game plan which nearly worked, try & contain City for the first half & then go at them in the second.  But he also mentioned that we were giving the ball away cheaply.  

You can tell from what he said, (and what he didn't say, no player names mentioned) & his tone, he wasn't satisfied with a number of player's performance.  

It's frustrating that, we ARE competing against some of the strongest teams in Europe, not getting over turned, just loosing by the odd goal.  Get it right up front & we'll still be in the Premiership this time next year.