The Christmas Logo Competition is back. See thread in Sheffield Discussions for details ×

Nobody Wants The Job!

I have heard this banded around so much this week, but just wondered how others interpret it?

Post Millers embarrassment, fans flooded forwarded with the expected "monk out" ideology.  But the bloke on RS, along with multiple fans, said that it is pointless because nobody else wants the job?......But why?

How do you interpret this?

Apparently the huge delay prior to Monk being appointed, was down to a complete lack of interest in the post? The Owls stalled and stalled in hope that they would have others approach the club, but nobody wanted the role...  Why?

Perhaps you could argue that with punishment looming in the near distance, no manager wanted the hotseat in full knowledge that they would be point stripped at a later date. Perhaps they even expected relegation, which should have probably been the current outcome?

But this year?....Will they have more interest?

The punishment has been dealt and the gap to safety isn't unachievable.  I heard the commentator on RS the other night, if the owls win half of their games from here on, they get sound where around the 50 is points mark, this giving a good fighting chance of safety. Any manager who thinks well of themselves would probably look at Wednesdays squad and see that as a very decent, but achievable challenge?

But even now, they call Wednesday an unattractive proposition?.....but why?

What is going on behind the scenes? I dont support them, so I do get it?.....I get that the club struggled to pay wages a few months ago due to covid, but chansiri covered his losses with loan notes. I do wonder why the accounts are once again late to be submitted by two months, that is somewhat of an insult to the EFL after everything that has gone on.

Surely there is an ambitious manager in league one or two, or a manager on the continent looking for an entry into English management? All things said and done, Wednesday are still an household name and a big opportunity to shine.

Not surprising at all as I said before it's not been kind to the majority of managers who've had the job lately.

I can't see any manager of quality wanting the job with you lot still on -4 points & the current COVID-19 situation with little money coming in & looking at a long, hard season with the strong possibility of relegation. 

In better times, I would have said the man for the job would have been Nigel Pearson. 

What you'll attract at present are those who fancy their chances, like the Cowley brothers, (weren't they favourites before Monk, last time round?), or a decent manager who will want an enormous bonus for keeping you in the division this season, before you start taking money for his backroom staff & the players he'll want. 

Edited by Baron99

it got steve bruce a top job,but any manager who achieves success will go down in our great history as a all time great,wolves sufc,west brom,all got decent managers,you hear other championship managers,say how they wish they had the wage funds that we have,money to buy or loan players,so why are they not applying to get a chance to be part of a big club,look how many leeds sacked,but got a good un in the end,hes out there but needs finding.but remember its a big task,a big club,a big reputation and needs a person with guts,because not only these things ive mentioned,he has to supply decent attractive football as well as winning football,i believe the wolves way is best,just get top players on loan,no promotion on your bike or in footballers terms porche

I don't agree that nobody wants the job. I'm sure there will off been alot of applications for it, it's more a question of the calibre of manager that was applying. Even at United's lowest recently there will of been plenty of takers. Chansiri obviously felt Monk was the right guy, not proving so. 

5 hours ago, bassett one said:

it got steve bruce a top job,but any manager who achieves success will go down in our great history as a all time great,wolves sufc,west brom,all got decent managers,you hear other championship managers,say how they wish they had the wage funds that we have,money to buy or loan players,so why are they not applying to get a chance to be part of a big club,look how many leeds sacked,but got a good un in the end,hes out there but needs finding.but remember its a big task,a big club,a big reputation and needs a person with guts,because not only these things ive mentioned,he has to supply decent attractive football as well as winning football,i believe the wolves way is best,just get top players on loan,no promotion on your bike or in footballers terms porche

It had nothing to do with Bruce getting the Newcastle job.12th in the Championship was hardly inspiring.

23 hours ago, NERVY-OWL said:

I don't agree that nobody wants the job. I'm sure there will off been alot of applications for it, it's more a question of the calibre of manager that was applying. Even at United's lowest recently there will of been plenty of takers. Chansiri obviously felt Monk was the right guy, not proving so. 

This is what confused me. Not sure if you heard the RS phone call? It was almost as if the presenter and caller are suggesting that Chansiri never really wanted Monk. They say it took 6 weeks to get over the line because they hope that someone of more interest would make an enquiry for the role.

I personally would have thought that Monk would have been the right fit for the club at that particular time. In full knowledge that they had breached FFP and with an impending punishment / points deduction, it made sound sense to bring in a manager who had already dealt with similar? Monk had with Birmingham.

No I didn't but there's a difference in nobody wanting the job and waiting for someone of more interest. It's a gamble whoever you go for, it was a gamble you guys going for Wilder but obviously paid off for you.

I'd of thought Monk would of been the right fit knowing we had a deduction coming and he managed it with Brum but not looking so. There's still a small chance the appeal will halve the deduction, if that happens it gives us a fighting chance with Monk but I can't see it otherwise

Maybe there's a reason Monk hasn't been sacked, i.e. can you afford to with the amount of compensation needed for him and his staff,  could always remortgage the ground I guess!

I think if he wanted Monk out he would. All we got this summer is oh you've no money,  can only sign loans etc yet he found the money to pay transfer fees, so he can find if for Monk. I don't think he'd let him go until nearer Xmas to give him chance to turn it around anyway.

we have a record for xmas eve time sackings,so see what santa does,because if that 4 go it will be a xmas pay off for them,they will blame the club ect,have a great xmas and move on to there next club,but there are plenty of top men out there,leeds,wolves sufc,westbrom,brentford ect all find them,so theres hope we can.i would offer the job like wolves did,to someone who knows good players,take them on loan,offer top money if we go up and a good contract or off they go.