The Christmas Logo Competition is back. See thread in Sheffield Discussions for details ×

Economical Way Of Heating A Bomb Shelter?

I have the luxury of an old bomb shelter at the bottom of the garden and I'm kitting it out into a pottery studio.

Its built into a slope so 2 sides of it are built up with earth but its not too damp just getting cold.

Anyone know of an economical way of heating it, just a background warmth so things don't get damp etc.

I've bought a small greenhouse paraffin heater but that's not doing much, I have an electric fan when working in there but looking for something to be on at all other times especially over winter.

Thanks

I’m not sure that a paraffin heater, or any other type of burner is a great idea, because of the potential for toxic fumes.

I’d be inclined to stick with the electric heater if I were you. Unless you can rig up some sort of passive heating, like a porch or even a glass door.

Paraffin heaters give out lots of moisture so not a good idea.

Insulate the walls or all your lovely expensive heat will soon be lost.

If you have a smart meter check the price if the night rate,I know they have closed up in the old days was less than half the day rate,in which case a big storage heater might suit

Edited by butlers

Thanks for your responses.

I have a really good extractor down there for when the kilns on plus smoke and monoxide detectors, although I'm never down there when using the kiln, plus there a couple of wall and door vents.

Insulating the walls isn't really an option as I'd loose too much space and there's no room for a storage heater unfortunately.

The paraffin heater I was thinking of getting was one used in most homes in Japan https://toyotomi.co.uk/

As I said its just something in the background 10c or so to keep the chill off over the winter.

Years ago you used to see these at the bottom of shop windows, I remember putting some in a shop near the RHH. Not sure if they would give enough heat out or if it would be suitable for your shelter, you could contact the manufacturer and ask them if  they are suitable.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/HETH454.html

Yeah, seen those, I don't think they'll give out enough heat.

Space heater run on either red diesel or paraffin 

You can get those 'skirting board' heaters which cost pennies to run, and presumably are not dangerous to leave unattended, from these free magazines attached inside TV guides and other mags.  They sit on the floor next to skirting boards, hence the name. They are basically cylindrical like a pipe about 5" diameter in varying lengths available.  Not too expensive to buy either. OK for toilets with 3 outside walls etc keeps them from getting damp when CH switched off through night. Also good for greenhouses over winter.  Maybe try garden centres to see if they stock them. They'd be cheaper there than in these mags.

Edited by Def Cougar
Typo correction

26 minutes ago, rudds1 said:

Space heater run on either red diesel or paraffin 

😱 that'd be toasty and no space for it.

Room is about 12m2

18 minutes ago, Def Cougar said:

You can get those 'skirting board' heaters which cost pennies to run, and presumably are not dangerous to leave unattended, from these free magazines attached inside TV guides and other mags.  They sit on the floor next to skirting boards, hence the name. They are basically cylindrical like a pipe about 5" diameter in varying lengths available.  Not too expensive to buy either. OK for toilets with 3 outside walls etc keeps them from getting damp when CH switched off through night. Also good for greenhouses over winter.  Maybe try garden centres to see of they stock them. They'd be cheaper there than in these mags.

Yeah, seen those, they wouldn't give out enough heat.

Had some vouchers for Amazon so ordered one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/ZIBRO-Zibro-LC-30/dp/B00NBVN0AM

Edited by glitterballs

Mini Superser? 

how about a log burner,like you they use in a greenhouse,once in cost very little,plus ash great for the garden

You are on a hiding to nothing if you try to heat it without insulation.

If internal insulation is a non-starter, you have a lot of digging to do.

Putting in an insulated floor will also improve matters.