Jump to content
The Christmas Logo Competition is back. See thread in Sheffield Discussions for details ×

Arnold Laver Fire 1968

Recommended Posts

The fire at Arnold lavers was 1968 queens road fire ,my dad was the care taker at Brammel lane Arnoldlavers .We lived  in the huge flat above the officers on cherry \street and my dad ofcause went down to queens road to do whatever he could .One brave wonderfull thing he did was to save the guard dogs ,Kim the female alsation had had pups and my dad saved them which ended up with us haveing one of the pups Major whom became the guard dog at Cherry street /Brammell lane branch .We had wonderfull times while liveing in the woodyard ,tarzan swings making dens out of timber and sheetings ofcause  and collecting pop bottles of the work men and taking them back to Jim&Joand shop on corner of Cherry Street and getting a penny back on them high light of my sisiter and mines week .Yes wonderfull times wonderfull memories .

Edited by nikki-red

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You wouldn't be allowed to play in the wood yard these days lol "Health and Safety"

 

Hmmm  .....you didn't take any matches with you by any chance? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bit of a random post! I thought the thread was for a fire there now, not 52 years ago!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, listerja14@gmai said:

The fire at Arnold lavers was 1968 queens road fire ,my dad was the care taker at Brammel lane Arnoldlavers .We lived  in the huge flat above the officers on cherry \street and my dad ofcause went down to queens road to do whatever he could .One brave wonderfull thing he did was to save the guard dogs ,Kim the female alsation had had pups and my dad saved them which ended up with us haveing one of the pups Major whom became the guard dog at Cherry street /Brammell lane branch .We had wonderfull times while liveing in the woodyard ,tarzan swings making dens out of timber and sheetings ofcause  and collecting pop bottles of the work men and taking them back to Jim&Joand shop on corner of Cherry Street and getting a penny back on them high light of my sisiter and mines week .Yes wonderfull times wonderfull memories .

I remember that.

Biggest bonfire I ever saw.

Life was good in those days and you obviously enjoyed it

We are all tied up in rules and regulations nowadays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was dj at Silver Blades the night it went up you could say it was a little warm. The ice started melting and every one who had cars on the car park could only drive them out of the front area.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lived at page hall at the time and could see the sky turning red... Mind you national carriers had a better fire! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, buckeroo said:

Bit of a random post! I thought the thread was for a fire there now, not 52 years ago!

Same here !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, buckeroo said:

Bit of a random post! I thought the thread was for a fire there now, not 52 years ago!

This  is the Sheffield history site which covers 52 years ago.

Sorry, just realised that the post originated in the wrong forum.

My mistake

Edited by Organgrinder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, this is a bit of a strange one, I must know the OP or one of their relatives cos I can remember walking round Lavers with Major and a lad after closing time. Lovely german shepherd dog and unrestricted access for a bit of low level pilfering of wood for our trolleys. Would have been in the 70’s though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/10/2020 at 22:58, listerja14@gmai said:

The fire at Arnold lavers was 1968 queens road fire ,my dad was the care taker at Brammel lane Arnoldlavers .We lived  in the huge flat above the officers on cherry \street and my dad ofcause went down to queens road to do whatever he could .One brave wonderfull thing he did was to save the guard dogs ,Kim the female alsation had had pups and my dad saved them which ended up with us haveing one of the pups Major whom became the guard dog at Cherry street /Brammell lane branch .We had wonderfull times while liveing in the woodyard ,tarzan swings making dens out of timber and sheetings ofcause  and collecting pop bottles of the work men and taking them back to Jim&Joand shop on corner of Cherry Street and getting a penny back on them high light of my sisiter and mines week .Yes wonderfull times wonderfull memories .

did you know Harold Cooper worked at queens road depot

and lived just round the corner from you

Edited by MICK BADGER

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/10/2020 at 16:15, MICK BADGER said:

did you know Harold Cooper worked at queens road depot

and lived just round the corner from you

I also believe Harold had one of the rescued pups

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That day, we'd taken my grandparents out into Derbyshire to a pub we used to meet family .On the way back to Heeley coming down East Bank Road  grandma said, "OOH, in't it a lovely sunset!"

Granddad replied, "Tha silly bugger, t'int sunset,  t'Lavers is on fire".

Needless to say we had to drive down to Farm Road to confirm before we had a domestic in't back seat o't car".

 

Regards,

Duffems

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.