Arnold Laver Fire 1968

The fire at Arnold lavers was 1968 queens road fire ,my dad was the care taker at Brammel lane Arnoldlavers .We lived  in the huge flat above the officers on cherry \street and my dad ofcause went down to queens road to do whatever he could .One brave wonderfull thing he did was to save the guard dogs ,Kim the female alsation had had pups and my dad saved them which ended up with us haveing one of the pups Major whom became the guard dog at Cherry street /Brammell lane branch .We had wonderfull times while liveing in the woodyard ,tarzan swings making dens out of timber and sheetings ofcause  and collecting pop bottles of the work men and taking them back to Jim&Joand shop on corner of Cherry Street and getting a penny back on them high light of my sisiter and mines week .Yes wonderfull times wonderfull memories .

Edited by nikki-red

You wouldn't be allowed to play in the wood yard these days lol "Health and Safety"

Hmmm  .....you didn't take any matches with you by any chance? 

Bit of a random post! I thought the thread was for a fire there now, not 52 years ago!

1 hour ago, listerja14@gmai said:

The fire at Arnold lavers was 1968 queens road fire ,my dad was the care taker at Brammel lane Arnoldlavers .We lived  in the huge flat above the officers on cherry \street and my dad ofcause went down to queens road to do whatever he could .One brave wonderfull thing he did was to save the guard dogs ,Kim the female alsation had had pups and my dad saved them which ended up with us haveing one of the pups Major whom became the guard dog at Cherry street /Brammell lane branch .We had wonderfull times while liveing in the woodyard ,tarzan swings making dens out of timber and sheetings ofcause  and collecting pop bottles of the work men and taking them back to Jim&Joand shop on corner of Cherry Street and getting a penny back on them high light of my sisiter and mines week .Yes wonderfull times wonderfull memories .

I remember that.

Biggest bonfire I ever saw.

Life was good in those days and you obviously enjoyed it

We are all tied up in rules and regulations nowadays.

I was dj at Silver Blades the night it went up you could say it was a little warm. The ice started melting and every one who had cars on the car park could only drive them out of the front area.

10 hours ago, buckeroo said:

Bit of a random post! I thought the thread was for a fire there now, not 52 years ago!

Same here !

11 hours ago, buckeroo said:

This  is the Sheffield history site which covers 52 years ago.

Sorry, just realised that the post originated in the wrong forum.

My mistake

Edited by Organgrinder

Wow, this is a bit of a strange one, I must know the OP or one of their relatives cos I can remember walking round Lavers with Major and a lad after closing time. Lovely german shepherd dog and unrestricted access for a bit of low level pilfering of wood for our trolleys. Would have been in the 70’s though.

On 28/10/2020 at 22:58, listerja14@gmai said:

did you know Harold Cooper worked at queens road depot

and lived just round the corner from you

Edited by MICK BADGER

On 30/10/2020 at 16:15, MICK BADGER said:

did you know Harold Cooper worked at queens road depot

and lived just round the corner from you

I also believe Harold had one of the rescued pups

That day, we'd taken my grandparents out into Derbyshire to a pub we used to meet family .On the way back to Heeley coming down East Bank Road  grandma said, "OOH, in't it a lovely sunset!"

Granddad replied, "Tha silly bugger, t'int sunset,  t'Lavers is on fire".

Needless to say we had to drive down to Farm Road to confirm before we had a domestic in't back seat o't car".

Regards,

Duffems