Ear Wax

If anyone uses Otex drops, they're much cheaper at Home Bargains than the usual sources.

Every time I've been to get my ears syringed their recommendations are once a month, or more often is use warm olive oil to allow the wax to soften and come out of it's own accord over night. They've all dismissed Otex and other such products as unnecessary expense. You can get olive oil drops but it's cheaper just to buy your own dropper and heat up the oil. Just be careful not to put hot oil in your ear.

Boots charge £50.

4 hours ago, probedb said:

They've all dismissed Otex and other such products as unnecessary expense. 

It all depends on your circumstances.   Olive oil alone doesn't work for me, but Otex does.  The nurse at my doctor's said the same - "you need a stronger solution than just olive oil"

On 04/11/2020 at 12:41, alchresearch said:

It all depends on your circumstances.   Olive oil alone doesn't work for me, but Otex does.  The nurse at my doctor's said the same - "you need a stronger solution than just olive oil"

I suspect it’s the same for me.  And if only using the drops once a month to keep earwax soft a bottle of otex will last some time.

I guess it depends, it is just wax at the end of the day, you'll probably find making it that bit warmer and soaking for longer eventually works.

On 28/10/2020 at 11:45, redruby said:

Any recommendations for ear wax problems?  I understand ear syringing isn’t done on the NHS any more and it can’t be the most pressing thing they have to deal with at present so I’m not bothering with going going down the route of contacting my GP surgery. Just wondering what ear drops or other remedies work best and where might be the best place to have the ear wax removed privately.

I get my ears syringed at my doctors but my wife bought a kit to do them after they stopped due to Covid.

If you let ear wax build up , over time you may suffer from vertigo, so best to keep your ears clear.

20 minutes ago, pattricia said:

If you let ear wax build up , over time you may suffer from vertigo, so best to keep your ears clear.

Agreed, a freind of mine told me he had a simlar problem,  eg, every time he got up quickly from a chair ect he went dizzy,  I told him to get down the doctors and get his ears syringed, he was a bit a worried so I said to him,  look on the bright side, you'll get a free bag of taters by the time the doctor has finished digging your ears out.  :hihi:

1 hour ago, PRESLEY said:

Agreed, a freind of mine told me he had a simlar problem,  eg, every time he got up quickly from a chair ect he went dizzy,  I told him to get down the doctors and get his ears syringed, he was a bit a worried so I said to him,  look on the bright side, you'll get a free bag of taters by the time the doctor has finished digging your ears out.  :hihi:

If I don’t have my ears syringed or don’t put olive oil or bicarbonate of soda in, after a few months, I wake up in the morning, and the room is spinning. I cannot get out of bed all day and am physically sick. As soon as they are cleared of wax I’m fine again.

When I was a nurse, I was told that this old woman could not hear anything as she was tone deaf. I looked in her ears and they were full of wax. After having them syringed she could hear perfectly.

pattricia,  I wondered if blocked ear/s could have an effect on balance

7 hours ago, cressida said:

pattricia,  I wondered if blocked ear/s could have an effect on balance

Your inner ears are ALL about balance!

Earwax can cause dizziness. I’m not sure how common this is though.  It can also cause tinnitus. I was so pleased this stopped after syringing!