Ear Wax

I only mentioned the NHS because I didn’t want any ‘why don’t you call your GP’ type responses and I want this sorting out sooner rather than later. That said, I do think those unable to pay should be able to go to GP surgery to see the nurse for this rather put up with the hearing loss and discomfort. 

Here is one of the links I found: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-politics-54296737

I’ve suffered from ear wax for years and from having them syringed by the nurse at my GPs surgery to having some kind of vacuuming at the hospital, I’ve found that the wax has always returned, even when using olive oil to soften the wax. Eventually a doctor mentioned using Sodium Bicarbonate ear drops from Boots the chemist, and it works a treat !

4 hours ago, redruby said:

Any recommendations for ear wax problems?  I understand ear syringing isn’t done on the NHS any more and it can’t be the most pressing thing they have to deal with at present so I’m not bothering with going going down the route of contacting my GP surgery. Just wondering what ear drops or other remedies work best and where might be the best place to have the ear wax removed privately.

Before this posting gets hijacked by the usual half-dozen-or-so members  -  yes, you all know who they are, and how tiresome their rants become! -  I'll remind you of an old adage about ears... "Never put anything in your ear that's smaller than your elbow".

This covers cotton buds, your mum's hairgrip with cotton wool wrapped round the end, etc., etc.

Hence being surprised to see that Otex now sell a "removal kit" which includes a "gentle easy-to-use syringe" along with the usual 10ml bottle. Be warned - the bulbous syringe can squirt quite some force through the spout, but the box claims it's for cleansing with warm water by "gently squeezing". 

Even more disconcerting is a newer product called Q-Grips "Earwax Tool". I've had the displeasure of actually trying one of these.

"Don't", is my best advice.

A plastic handle with a soft silicone spiral tip, which you're meant to twist into the ear. Expensive, quite painful because they can twist further in than you think, and what's more, don't work anyway.

When I need to use anything, I tend to stick to Earex - the "advance" version doesn't have the same all-invasive smell of the original, I'm pleased to say.

Both myself and my partner have had trouble with this, and we're at different surgeries, where syringing used to be carried out. My partner needs it roughly every six months, and I had to have it before ENT at the Hallamshire would do hearing tests for my diminishing hearing.

We were bothe refused by our doctors and given recommendations of places we could go privately, but the cost was roughly £30 for each ear, so £120 altogether, which for us is a considerable amount considering we used to have it done in 5 minutes free at the point of use by a nurse at our local practices. We tried a few other places but they charged similar or more. We also tried a couple of drop in centres but no joy. I don't consider my comment to be tenuous at all, it is a serious point.  

Maybe we were unlucky with the places we tried. Never thought of boots, and no one suggested them. What do they charge?

Please don’t turn this thread into something it’s not.

The OP was asking for advice and recommendations.

So, how much does Boots charge? and is there anywhere cheaper please? (genuine question.)

Edited by Anna B

23 minutes ago, Anna B said:

So, how much does Boots charge? and is there anywhere cheaper please? (genuine question.)

Boots ear wax removal.

This shows their cost, using this you can find other providers.

24 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Just had a look,  £50...  I assume thats for each ear.

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

Both myself and my partner have had trouble with this, and we're at different surgeries, where syringing used to be carried out. My partner needs it roughly every six months, and I had to have it before ENT at the Hallamshire would do hearing tests for my diminishing hearing.

We were bothe refused by our doctors and given recommendations of places we could go privately, but the cost was roughly £30 for each ear, so £120 altogether, which for us is a considerable amount considering we used to have it done in 5 minutes free at the point of use by a nurse at our local practices. We tried a few other places but they charged similar or more. We also tried a couple of drop in centres but no joy. I don't consider my comment to be tenuous at all, it is a serious point.  

Maybe we were unlucky with the places we tried. Never thought of boots, and no one suggested them. What do they charge?

About £30 a tab if memory serves. But you also get a hearing test afterwards.

Should have read the above link shouldn't I!

Edited by tinfoilhat

29 minutes ago, max said:

Boots ear wax removal.

This shows their cost, using this you can find other providers.

Just looked at website, which mainly seems to be selling ear products. I couldn't find the actual price of ear syringing. 

I'll assume it's the £50 as Padders said. Is that for each ear?

Sorry, my mistake, I found it. It is £50 for both ears.

Edited by Anna B

On 28/10/2020 at 16:14, RiffRaff said:

Before this posting gets hijacked by the usual half-dozen-or-so members  -  yes, you all know who they are, and how tiresome their rants become! -  I'll remind you of an old adage about ears... "Never put anything in your ear that's smaller than your elbow".

This covers cotton buds, your mum's hairgrip with cotton wool wrapped round the end, etc., etc.

Hence being surprised to see that Otex now sell a "removal kit" which includes a "gentle easy-to-use syringe" along with the usual 10ml bottle. Be warned - the bulbous syringe can squirt quite some force through the spout, but the box claims it's for cleansing with warm water by "gently squeezing". 

Even more disconcerting is a newer product called Q-Grips "Earwax Tool". I've had the displeasure of actually trying one of these.

"Don't", is my best advice.

A plastic handle with a soft silicone spiral tip, which you're meant to twist into the ear. Expensive, quite painful because they can twist further in than you think, and what's more, don't work anyway.

When I need to use anything, I tend to stick to Earex - the "advance" version doesn't have the same all-invasive smell of the original, I'm pleased to say.

I actually tried using this bulb syringe. It did actually remove some wax but I wasn’t able to remove it all. So I’ve now paid to have it removed. The cost seems to vary between £50-£100.  

I’ve already tried Otex and bicarbonate of soda drops but will try Earex if I have this problem again. I remember using some drops years ago that fizzed in the ear and did work.