Ear Wax

Any recommendations for ear wax problems?  I understand ear syringing isn’t done on the NHS any more and it can’t be the most pressing thing they have to deal with at present so I’m not bothering with going going down the route of contacting my GP surgery. Just wondering what ear drops or other remedies work best and where might be the best place to have the ear wax removed privately.

Speak to your local pharmacist. They'll advise you on the best way to treat it. 🙂

@redruby

Did you mean that it has ceased permanently under the NHS, or just during the covid pandemic? 

20 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

@redruby - strange, I'm booked in for mine in 12 days.

I think it varies from surgery to surgery.

Also boots sort of Hoover's it out rather your bog standard syringe.

Edited by tinfoilhat

46 minutes ago, redruby said:

Any recommendations for ear wax problems?  I understand ear syringing isn’t done on the NHS any more and it can’t be the most pressing thing they have to deal with at present so I’m not bothering with going going down the route of contacting my GP surgery. Just wondering what ear drops or other remedies work best and where might be the best place to have the ear wax removed privately.

If   you think you've got an infection use "sofradex" to get rid of the infection check with a GP first  to see if you have a infection other wise your wasting your time

then "waxsol"  for 2 to 3 days to soften the wax before you have them syringed.

Edited by frigate

1 hour ago, redruby said:

You can, or could pre-COVID, have it done privately at Thornbury Hospital. Think I paid about £80 for both ears, and the wax was basically vacuumed out. Also put a fibre camera in each ear so you could see a before and after.

https://ear-wax-clear.co.uk/

Thanks for the replies. I think I’ll look into going to Boots or Thornbury👍

I thought it wasn’t done on NHS as I found a couple of links stating this when Googled it. Even if it is though, the last time I had it done by the nurse at the GP surgery I had to jump through hoops to get an appointment and that was about 15 years ago so I imagine I’d be waiting until next summer to get an appointment 😂

Edited by redruby

Also had tremendous difficulties with this. In the end resorted to DIY methods of the internet, but wasn't happy.

....And they say the NHS is safe in their hands and isn't being privatised.

@Anna BAs has been pointed out, it is still available, probably depends on a practices policy, not an NHS blanket ban.

5 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Also had tremendous difficulties with this. In the end resorted to DIY methods of the internet, but wasn't happy.

....And they say the NHS is safe in their hands and isn't being privatised.

That is quite a tenuous link even for your standards.

From reading the original post it is not clear other than a couple of google links whether it's available on the NHS or not.  The OP certainly wasn't sure 

Even if it was available through a GP, the original poster volunteered that they were not prepared to investigate further and endure what they assume will be a long wait -  so they are choosing to look for alternatives privately.

I really don't understand how you are hijacking some simple enquiry as desperate evidence of alleged creeping privatisation into the NHS. It's totally unsubstantiated and irrelevant.