Storage Radiators

Does anyone know of anyone who repairs storage radiators? It's for my mum who's nearly 100. They're old and one of them isn't working properly. I know we be better off having them replaced for a more modern system but because of her age we don't want the disturbance. 

Having a bloke in to fix it will be more disturbance than having someone round to replace it with another electric radiator.

14 minutes ago, geared said:

Having a bloke in to fix it will be more disturbance than having someone round to replace it with another electric radiator.

Possibly - but a radiator runs during the day not on Econ 7 so would be more costly, potentially.

Edited by Arnold_Lane

40 minutes ago, Arnold_Lane said:

Possibly - but a radiator runs during the day not on Econ 7 so would be more costly, potentially.

Not sure Economy 7 is much of a saving any more, the daytime rates are usually higher than standard rates.

Not a clear cut thing.

56 minutes ago, geared said:

You mean a new storage heater or a new non-storage electric heater?

Not much point fitting a non-storage heater to the econ 7 supply.

We just need someone to replace / repair the existing storage radiator. We know it's probably not economical but as I said before mum can't cope with too much disruption. We had someone who said they could do it but unfortunately they let us down due to having been contacted by the NHS tracing app.

Edited by Rollypolly

2 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Not sure Economy 7 is much of a saving any more, the daytime rates are usually higher than standard rates.

Not a clear cut thing.

You mean a new storage heater or a new non-storage electric heater?

Not much point fitting a non-storage heater to the econ 7 supply.

Fit whatever the old girl wants, whatever would make her most comfortable.

Pushing 100 you might as well enjoy abit of comfort rather than worry about saving a few quid on bills.

1 hour ago, Rollypolly said:

We just need someone to replace / repair the existing storage radiator. We know it's probably not economical but as I said before mum can't cope with too much disruption. We had someone who said they could do it but unfortunately they let us down due to having been contacted by the NHS tracing app.

Search the recommended tradesman section.

I don't think you can currently post ads for jobs, but you should be able to get a few names and numbers of recommended people to call.

One thing you can look for.

With the electric off, take the cover off,it's held on most by 2 or  3 screws at the bottom.

The controls are at the top right  if you Google " thermal link" ,check that yours is complete,it's no more difficult that putting a fuse in a plug.

It's unlikely to be connected this way,but if there is a fused spur rather than a plain switch to isolate it,swap that fuse  too.

If it's only getting warm in one part the element will have failed.

I have some spare elements ,they tend to be common to most nanufactures

Be aware that new storage heaters require an extra power supply as they are now intelligent🙄

If you can't get a permenant new supply to the heaters they do not work.

There is a couple of companys selling the thermal link and replacement thermostats on amazon and ebay.

If it a diy job if you're happy with a screwdriver and 30 years of dust.

Thanks for all your replies. I think we'll keep looking for a professional who'll do it for us. We're not confident enough to attempt any repairs ourselves and wouldn't want to compromise mums safety. 

21 hours ago, butlers said:

With the electric off, take the cover off,it's held on most by 2 or  3 screws at the bottom.

The controls are at the top right  if you Google " thermal link" ,check that yours is complete,it's no more difficult that putting a fuse in a plug.

It's unlikely to be connected this way,but if there is a fused spur rather than a plain switch to isolate it,swap that fuse  too.

As you seem to know a bit about storage heaters have you any idea why mine will not turn down from high.It does not turn down whatever setting it is on

On 27/10/2020 at 18:27, butlers said:

that’s true
but you should be really careful with wires near heating elements