Royal Mail Collecting Parcels From Your Door.

Just been reading that royal mail are starting to collect parcels from your door. 72p fee plus postage.

The idea is to increase their share of the parcel market. Unless the prices are competitive with the companies like Hermes and the other couriers, I cannot see it being successful.
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-54614871

I think Hermes only charge an extra 50p for collection from your house.

1 hour ago, Janus said:

Just been reading that royal mail are starting to collect parcels from your door. 72p fee plus postage.

The idea is to increase their share of the parcel market. Unless the prices are competitive with the companies like Hermes and the other couriers, I cannot see it being successful.
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-54614871

Good idea, but I hope it doesn't lead to more Post Office closures.  

Possibly another nail.

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

Good idea, but I hope it doesn't lead to more Post Office closures.  

I know it sounds a bit trite, but what do most people need a Post Office for ?

16 minutes ago, Mossway said:

Sending parcels. My post office nearly filled a van with bags of parcels and it was only 12.30.

16 hours ago, Mossway said:

Actually far easier to pay money into my bank account at the local post office rather than the bank. They have a car park and I'm not having to stand in a queue as long as the bank gets. Plus they're great for posting stuff overseas, yes I can do that online but usually need to know which specific regulations my goods meet and specify them, don't need that with a customs declaration.

I really really cannot recommend Parcelforce at the moment though. Utter bleep, parcel first disappeared from tracking until I raised a complaint, didn't meet the 48 service and arrived damaged. Despite raising a Damaged goods issue they don't seem to understand the difference between not working and damaged and keep asking for a video of something not working.

I like the idea of the village post office.

The post office has existed for a few hundred years. I think the biggest changes responsible for it's demise have been in more recent times.

No longer taxing the car there, benefits not paid by giro, many state pensions paid in to a bank, can no longer buy premium bonds  there, stamps available in some shops-like Wilkos. Emails must have had a massive impact on letters/stamps.  I don't know if postal orders are still available-cheques are easier and free.

The banking App too will have played it's part, and probably contributed to the closure of many high street bank branches. I'd like to see the post office continue, but I  don't know if that will happen.

A bit of interesting post office history here:
https://www.thehistorypress.co.uk/articles/a-short-history-of-the-post-office/

There is a simple answer to saving post offices and the wider high street and that is to turn off all bits of the internet which dont relate to pure entertainment and/or knowledge transfer.

As there are no longer any banks in Penistone and the lone building society is being considered for closure, the Post Office is the only means of putting money in the bank without a trip to Barnsley.  Privatization of Royal Mail was the death knell of the village post office, although many had disappeared beforehand.   Its another case of 'if doesn't make a profit shut it' irrespective of the social impact.

51 minutes ago, AKAMD said:

As there are no longer any banks in Penistone and the lone building society is being considered for closure, the Post Office is the only means of putting money in the bank without a trip to Barnsley.  Privatization of Royal Mail was the death knell of the village post office, although many had disappeared beforehand.   Its another case of 'if doesn't make a profit shut it' irrespective of the social impact.

Royal mail and the post office are two totally different things. How benefits are paid, how car tax is paid, email have had far greater impact.

Have used Parcelforce a few times for home collection with heavy parcels 15kg, all booked and paid for online  and have found it far easier then carrying to my local Post Office, they bring all the printed labels and was so easy. I would recommend it for heavy parcels.