Where Can I Buy Ghee From ?

This is not for me but for my friend., who likes to make her own curry. Tesco’s say they sell it but there is none on the shelves. Anyone got an ideas ?

i would have thought most supermarkets or asian food shops would sell it

or she could make her own.... 

I've bought ghee in my local branch of Asda -which is readily available, because I live in an area of London where loads of people use it. The problem is that it tends to come only in large tins - and it's very expensive. Not a problem if you use it often - but a bit of a waste of money if you only use it occasionally, like I do. It keeps for a reasonably long time in the fridge, but eventually goes a bit manky.

My suggestion would be to make your own - then you can just make as much, or as little, as  you need.  Ghee is just basically clarified butter. All you need to do is to melt some unsalted -or lightly salted - butter in a saucepan. Allow to cool slightly, then skim off the frothy, milky stuff that floats to the top. This clarified butter will keep for for a week or so in the fridge - if you keep it in a lidded container

Sainsbury has massive tins of it in their ethnic section.

Any supermarket really Patricia Asda recently had it on roll back so I stocked up.