Sheffield United Tours Limited was established in March 1935. In January 1969 it became a constituent of the National Bus Company and in January 1974 was renamed National Travel (North East) Limited. It became part of the Central Activities Group of the National Bus Company in April 1972.

A National Holidays division was established to undertake the holidays and tours side of coaching, but through privatisation was taken over by the Pleasurama Group (owners of Shearings) on 14th July 1986 for the sum of £2.5 million.

What was left of the Sheffield operation was later acquired by Mr Tony Lavin (ATL Ltd) who also owned Excelsior of Dinnington, the Carlton PSV Dealership and Yelloway of Rochdale. This takeover was effected on 29th January 1987 for the sum of £600,000. Initially the company was renamed NTL Coaches Ltd but eventually renamed SUT Ltd (this was Sheffield United TRANSPORT). By July 1989 ATL had themselves been taken over by National Express.

Busman was correct when saying that the original Sheffield United Tours name was in later years owned by Wallace Arnold.

I know it's confusing but Sheffield United Tours and Sheffield United Transport were not the same company even though the latter company also operated from the same Charlotte Road garage.

Perhaps you heard it all before has to how many people thought that Sheffield United Tours were owned by the Football club.

Was abbey motors bought by SUT in the 1930s ?

Abbey Lane Motor Services was established in December 1930. They took over Brooks & Senior and later S.B.Hogg who held licenses for Llandudno and Gt.Yarmouth. SUT took over Abbey Lane on 20th May 1953 mainly so they could acquire these lucrative licenses.

Wasn't there a Geoff/Jeff Cox?

hiya think it as jeffcock coaches

Anyone remember them.

The offices used to be in Pond Street, near the old rent place.

Anyone know any names of the old drivers of the coaches?

My dad and uncle worked for SUT Arthur and Eric Staley, and before when it was UMS.

I used to use the SUT service to race meetings and I think the driver was called Jack. He'd take the bus to Doncaster on the Friday via the old Conisborough route and allow the bookies to leave their tackle in the boot for the following day. After the 'cap' had been brought round, there was a big shout: "He thanks you one and all"

There was a period when the car was becoming popular when SUT wouldn't run unless they'd got 15 wanting to go. As a result, people who needed to be there went to Rotherham to travel on the Riley's bus and this was the beginning of the end. I remember before it moved to Pond Street, you could book down the Arcade off The Moor.

Another driver who took the SUT coaches, including the team bus of Sheffield Wednesday, Colin Parsons, otherwise known as 'Big Col'.

I remember Sheffield Wednesday's team bus in the 60's being in an exclusive blue and white as opposed to the red and white S.U.T. livery. Perhaps that was the one that crashed on the A1 on Boxing Day 1960, the Owls returning from a game at Arsenal ?

---------- Post added 09-02-2017 at 22:16 ----------

I remember Sheffield Wednesday's team bus in the 60's being in an exclusive blue and white as opposed to the red and white S.U.T. livery. Perhaps that was the one that crashed on the A1 on Boxing Day 1960, the Owls returning from a game at Arsenal ?

Sorry, I missed 'Chairboy's' post who explained the latter and Chris M's with the former.

---------- Post added 09-02-2017 at 22:30 ----------

I can remember queueing for hrs to get what I think were S U T tickets for Blackpool for Sheffield Works weeks which were the last wk in July and the first wk in August. The steelworks closed down then and all Sheffield was seen to be in Blackpool. My Dad queued first and we went down later to give him a break.

We seemed to queue down the lane by the side of the old police station and right round to the S U T shop close to the bridge near the wicker. ?

I'm not sure whether this memory is right because it must have been nearly 55/60 yrs ago.

I can also remember queueing for coal in about the same place when Sheffield was covered in snow, must have been the winter of 1948 when Sheffield came to a stand still.

hazel

That queue sound like it was in the Water Lane/ Bridge Street area but where was the S.U.T. office ? P.S. That one been answered too, the office was in Waingate.

Edited by stpetre
Add

A couple of photos here https://postimg.org/image/hud6sbnj9/, the first at Whipsnade in 1953 with KWA 724 and two 'sisters', the other location unknown but, as No 56 (1934) was withdrawn in 1949, would think after 1945. Looks like a Works trip to me; a slight difference in rear end livery on the other 'Cravens' coach.

The second photo, WJ 9962 is of a Leyland LT5A with Craven 32 seat coachwork, new to Arthur Kitson in May 1934. It was taken into stock by SUT when that company was formed in 1935. The photo is taken on Castlegate facing towards Lady's Bridge with the Exchange Brewery/Lady's Bridge pub on the corner. I think the photo must have been taken around 1937/38.

Thank you for the location SUTman; yes of course it must have been earlier than I thought because after the blitz in 1940 Castlegate became the terminus stops with shelters for the 63/97/98/65 - 67&68 routes. I think this may have been an ESC works visit to Manchester or Merseyside (other group companies) which also included sports fixtures as I recognize faces of cricketers from that period photos.

Thank you for the location SUTman; yes of course it must have been earlier than I thought because after the blitz in 1940 Castlegate became the terminus stops with shelters for the 63/97/98/65 - 67&68 routes. I think this may have been an ESC works visit to Manchester or Merseyside (other group companies) which also included sports fixtures as I recognize faces of cricketers from that period photos.

What were the 63/65 routes , Shirecliffe perhaps ?

In the years I am thinking of (40's to mid 50's), yes 63 was Shirecliffe and 65,66 and67 were all Barnsley with slightly different routes, jointly operated with Yorkshire Traction, Yorkshire Woollen District and West Riding companies. These provided a 20 minute service to Barnsley and there were ,in addition, Chapeltown and Upton services. From memory, it was only after the end of the War that Bradford and Leeds extensions were restored. The Abbey Lane Coaches bus to New Ollerton also started outside the PH (Bull & Mouth?) at the Waingate end of Castlegate.

I am relying heavily on memory here and precise dates may be corrected by others. What I have found by posting and reading threads on Forums is that my early childhood memories go back further than I realized but perhaps that is just an 'Old age' thing!

In the late 40's I went on some SUT football trips, one memorable trip when one coach hit the back of the one in front whilst a little later our coach had to call for breakdown assistance; rescue was by Ribble Motors though our own return coach made it home!

I well remember travelling on a tram to get to pond street from Firth park in the mid fifties as a young lad with my brother and father.

We would get the sut coach to laneham ferry to fish the tidal trent.

Very happy times, I still fish at laneham, lovely little place.