My dad still has the wings that were fastened to the right hand side of this coach!

took me long enough but heres a pic of the wings from the aforementioned 'Golden' coach. its reg was 336DWJ.

SUT Wings

Dont know what era we are speaking about here, was this in the fifties or sixties? Its a bit difficult trying to remember some of the older liveries of some of the coach companies but it definately wasn't SUT with names like you mention. I think it might have been Littlewoods coaches as they were in a bergundy and silver livery with names like Duchess of Torquay, Duchess of Newquay etc. Hope this is of some help.

Those were Littlewood's, someone told me they only had two, is that right?

Just a quick note to say that members of my family and I went on several tours organised by Sheffield United Tours. This was during the 1950's. I still have my passport ( what an awful photo) and somewhere a red plastic passport wallet. S I have some dates.

Will look by again soon.

There's been a few requests for coach names here, so I will start with the Elizabethan class. No231- Drake, No232- Raleigh, No233- Hawkins, No234- Frobisher, No235- Grenville, No236- Shakespear, No237- Bacon, No238- Marlowe, No239- Gresham, No240 - Leicester, No241- John Norris, No242- Essex, No243- Knollys, No244- Cecil, No245- Burghley, No 246- Spencer, No247- Walsingham, No248- Sidney, No249- Hatton, No250- Effingham, No251- Seymore. No252- Gilbert. When I get chance, I will post the "Gay" class, "Continental" class and "Panorama" class names if anyone is interested. hope this is of some interest.

Dont know what era we are speaking about here, was this in the fifties or sixties? Its a bit difficult trying to remember some of the older liveries of some of the coach companies but it definately wasn't SUT with names like you mention. I think it might have been Littlewoods coaches as they were in a bergundy and silver livery with names like Duchess of Torquay, Duchess of Newquay etc. Hope this is of some help.

Yes I think Littlewood's only had two coaches, they garaged them at a place at Petre Street/Garter Street in Pitsmoor. I believe at one time one of the coaches was called ' Empress of ??'

Littlewood had around five coaches at any one time and replaced these after around three to four years. Names included Countess of Torquay, Queen of Torquay, Baroness of Torquay, Queen of Weymouth, Queen of Newquay, Torbay Princess and Scottish Queen. These names appeared on replacement coaches when the older coaches were sold. The livery was burgundy and silver grey. The company was taken over in the mid eighties by Skills of Nottingham.

Littlewood had around five coaches at any one time and replaced these after around three to four years. Names included Countess of Torquay, Queen of Torquay, Baroness of Torquay, Queen of Weymouth, Queen of Newquay, Torbay Princess and Scottish Queen. These names appeared on replacement coaches when the older coaches were sold. The livery was burgundy and silver grey. The company was taken over in the mid eighties by Skills of Nottingham.

Thank you SUTman, however the titles of the coaches all have 'Devonion' names , but 'Scottish Queen'..??

Thank you SUTman, however the titles of the coaches all have 'Devonion' names , but 'Scottish Queen'..??

Not strictly speaking stpetre ... Newquay is in Cornwall, Weymouth in Dorset and Torquay in Devon ... the only one missing is a coach taking the name of a Somerset resort ... but I suppose if the west country was where they plied their trade it makes sense.

Not strictly speaking stpetre ... Newquay is in Cornwall, Weymouth in Dorset and Torquay in Devon ... the only one missing is a coach taking the name of a Somerset resort ... but I suppose if the west country was where they plied their trade it makes sense.

Yes sedith, thank you, I was getting my west country geography mixed up, also if one travelled with Littlewood's, didn't you have to book the accommodation with them too. not just the ride. Perhaps S.U.T. also ?

During the late 70's early 80's in addition to services to the west country, Littlewoods also offered all inclusive tours to Scotland of 7 days duration. Largs for £85, Oban for £110 and Inverness for £125. The coach "Scottish Queen" was used for some of these which was EWE 759V, a Volvo with Caetano Alpha body new in 1980.

In the late 1950's I went with a party who hired two SUT coaches to take us to Grindlewald/Interlaken. We stopped the night at Johnny's Place in Bully les Mines, France. This would appear to have been a regular overnight coach stop. I was under the impression that Johnny originated from Eckington. As we journeyed on to Switzerland, one of the coaches broke down & a replacement had to be hired.We were told that the vehicle in question was one of a few in the fleet with a Ford engine. The complete holiday cost us £30 which was a lot of money to find in those days!!

Edited by gregnig
amended