We've got some old film of SUT - we'll have to dig it out!

If you do manage to find the film I would be very interested to hear about it, and perhaps buy a copy from you if thats ok ?

Downsunder, yes I know of George Griffiths. A well respected driver/courier at SUT. How long did he work there though cos I have no idea?

When I was a kid in the 50s we used to go on day trip[s to Skeggie, Brid, Clee, etc. on SUT coaches. But if my memory serves me correctly, we used to line up in the a.m. on Snig Hill, not Pond Street. Ring any bells anyone or is my memory playing tricks on me?:huh:

When I was a kid in the 50s we used to go on day trip[s to Skeggie, Brid, Clee, etc. on SUT coaches. But if my memory serves me correctly, we used to line up in the a.m. on Snig Hill, not Pond Street. Ring any bells anyone or is my memory playing tricks on me?:huh:

I don't remember Snig Hill but before SUT went into Pond Street we always caught the coach in Union St. , where they had a booking office. I suppose it's always possible that different destinations had different departure points i.e. East Coast from Union St., West Coast from Snig Hill etc. , but this is only a suggestion.

My dad Harold(Chalky)White drove for SUT 50's 60's 70's

I don't remember Snig Hill but before SUT went into Pond Street we always caught the coach in Union St. , where they had a booking office. I suppose it's always possible that different destinations had different departure points i.e. East Coast from Union St., West Coast from Snig Hill etc. , but this is only a suggestion.

Actually I was'nt too far off the mark regarding departure points as I now remember SUT having booking offices in Pond Hill, Union St, Waingate and Attercliffe Road and I can now certainly remember coaches leaving from Waingate and I think it probable that you remember this and not Snig Hill just around the corner.

Actually I was'nt too far off the mark regarding departure points as I now remember SUT having booking offices in Pond Hill, Union St, Waingate and Attercliffe Road and I can now certainly remember coaches leaving from Waingate and I think it probable that you remember this and not Snig Hill just around the corner.

That must be right, neil. Waingate. So close by.

They also used castlegate and I think they used bridge street on sunday mornings which is across from snig hill

Excursions used to set off from Union Street,Waingate, Church Street in Attercliffe and King Street . Pond Street was used mostly for excursions and express. The Palace theatre yard was also used for tours departures from the mid thirties until the fifties. Later tours would depart from the old Kitson garage/office at No21 Pond Hill. Tours also used the bottom platform in Pond Street itself but mostly the main office and garage at Charlotte Road being for this purpose. Castlegate was used as a drop off point for returning excursions and the like from such places as Blackpool. Castlegate was also used for departures by SUT, Fantoms, Jeffcocks etc.

13 x 1960/70's Coach Photos Sheffield United Tours

EBAY 200406598280