New Bus Service - Sheffield To Manchester

Jeffrey Shaw

ALSO

New threads have been created today, as follows

1. Mottram Moor delays and the long-promised bypass.

2. "Are Snake and Woodhead open?"

Please post on the present thread only re the bus service.

Message added by Jeffrey Shaw

I suspect the traffic going all the way from Sheffield to the Airport may be limited but the X57 bus could well prove a popular link from Sheffield to Glossop and Manchester City Centre.

The bus is scheduled to run non stop from Hollingworth to Manchester so can divert via alternative routes on that section if necessary.

Longest journey time from Sheffield Interchange (less from University, Broomhill or Crosspool of course)

Glossop: 55 minutes

Manchester City Centre: 1hr35

Airport: 2hr10

You will notice that early morning and late evening the journey to Manchester is quicker by about 20 minutes.

The return ticket price from Sheffield is £10 to Manchester City Centre and £15 to the airport, significantly cheaper than the train. You pay your money and take your choice as they say!

For shorter journeys from Sheffield into the Peak District the X57 co-ordinates with the 257 to provide an hourly service as far as Ladybower.

I would say this addition to Sheffield's bus network is a great and brave investment by an independent local bus business and I hope people support it by using it and the ticket sales are sufficient for it to keep running.

Edited by Andy C

18 hours ago, Andy C said:

I suspect the traffic going all the way from Sheffield to the Airport may be limited but the X57 bus could well prove a popular link from Sheffield to Glossop and Manchester City Centre.

The bus is scheduled to run non stop from Hollingworth to Manchester so can divert via alternative routes on that section if necessary.

Longest journey time from Sheffield Interchange (less from University, Broomhill or Crosspool of course)

Glossop: 55 minutes

Manchester City Centre: 1hr35

Airport: 2hr10

You will notice that early morning and late evening the journey to Manchester is quicker by about 20 minutes.

The return ticket price from Sheffield is £10 to Manchester City Centre and £15 to the airport, significantly cheaper than the train. You pay your money and take your choice as they say!

For shorter journeys from Sheffield into the Peak District the X57 co-ordinates with the 257 to provide an hourly service as far as Ladybower.

I would say this addition to Sheffield's bus network is a great and brave investment by an independent local bus business and I hope people support it by using it and the ticket sales are sufficient for it to keep running.

I agree with you about the value of the service overall my issue is simply with the trip to the airport from Sheffield.

The X57 service to Manchester ends in January.

The scratchcard version of the Derbyshire Wayfarer is no longer being printed. 

That's a shame. Did it not get enough passengers?

2 hours ago, Bilge said:

That's a shame. Did it not get enough passengers?

I never saw the logic of running it to the airport in the first place but would have thought it was a valuable route across the hills

Edited by BigAl1

Just now, BigAl1 said:

I never saw the logic of running it to the airport in the first place

There is always someone out there willing to save a fiver to sit an extra hour on the bus (or however long it took)

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

There is always someone out there willing to save a fiver to sit an extra hour on the bus (or however long it took)

Nevermind it is a beautiful ride. And if you have a zero fare pass it saves £33 for a journey that takes one hour longer than train.

You are hardly looking at concrete travelling through on the train either tbf.

A friend of mine has an important meeting with her manager in Manchester next month and they booked a taxi for her. 

Not good for global warming but the trains are like a Dr who transport back in time.

Just now, dutch said:

A friend of mine has an important meeting with her manager in Manchester next month and they booked a taxi for her. 

Not good for global warming but the trains are like a Dr who transport back in time.

What are you basing that on? By all accounts the trains are fine currently, all of them now at least 4 carriages too.

34 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

What are you basing that on? By all accounts the trains are fine currently, all of them now at least 4 carriages too.

Took one couple months ago and it did feel like a jump back in time compared to the foreign train that took me to the airport there.

I thought all the trains had been modernised now? Weren't the old pacers scrapped?