New Bus Service - Sheffield To Manchester

Jeffrey Shaw

ALSO

New threads have been created today, as follows

1. Mottram Moor delays and the long-promised bypass.

2. "Are Snake and Woodhead open?"

Please post on the present thread only re the bus service.

Message added by Jeffrey Shaw

57 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Hulleys are progressively reintroducing their services and adding some including the X57 Snake bus to Manchester is being extended to the Airport from May with a first bus at 0505.

Hulleys upcoming service changes, phased in line with the road map out of lockdown.

on the Snake X57 the significant changes are from the 17th May with the earlier morning departure from Sheffield, the airport extension and the reinstatement of the Friday/Saturday night services.

The summer also sees the reintroduction of the weekend X71 service to Alton Towers, from 17th April.

158552958_10158888797839876_919480844934

Edited by Andy C

Timetable from 12th April. There will be a further change from 17th May will include improvements such as an evening services and an extension to Manchester Airport.

166683894_136023448524376_33592823207995

Not exactly enticing with 2 hour journey time and infrequent service

Wonder how many from Sheffield would use this to get to the airport- I would certainly use the train and only consider if engineering works on train - I might consider for trip to Manchester

Extending the route to the Airport will be the only direct route by public transport during the months of Dore closures  over the next few year and in subsequent years if Mancunians get rid of our direct service to the airport.

As I live on the route I have used the X57 many times already.

To Derbyshire inc Glossop and to Manchester.

Other ticket options  from Sheffield to Glossop Derbyshire Wayfarer(all day +trains)

ENCTS passes

Greater Manchester Wayfarer from Glossop(all day +trains +tram).

As a regular pre-covid user of the airport I look forward to getting on the bus on the end of my road, cheaper, no booking in advance.

As Bigal1 says it might be it might not attract enough passengers.

Just now, Annie Bynnol said:

Extending the route to the Airport will be the only direct route by public transport during the months of Dore closures  over the next few year and in subsequent years if Mancunians get rid of our direct service to the airport.

Changing platforms at Piccadilly is hardly a hardship and much preferable to nearly 2 hours on a bus over the Snake.

21 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

As I live on the route I have used the X57 many times already.

To Derbyshire inc Glossop and to Manchester.

Other ticket options  from Sheffield to Glossop Derbyshire Wayfarer(all day +trains)

ENCTS passes

Greater Manchester Wayfarer from Glossop(all day +trains +tram).

As a regular pre-covid user of the airport I look forward to getting on the bus on the end of my road, cheaper, no booking in advance.

As Bigal1 says it might be it might not attract enough passengers.

It is fine if you live on the route or indeed visiting other places en route.

My only criticism is that it is not an attractive service for most between Sheffield and the airport (cost excepted).

Out of interest What is luggage space like?

23 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Changing platforms at Piccadilly is hardly a hardship and much preferable to nearly 2 hours on a bus over the Snake.

I agree especially as I would imagine most of the transfers will be cross platform and no steps - a nicer waiting area and better info though would not go amiss at on the through platforms and better management so that trains can stop at the same end of the platform when operationally feasible

17 minutes ago, Bigal1 said:

It is fine if you live on the route or indeed visiting other places en route.

My only criticism is that it is not an attractive service for most between Sheffield and the airport (cost excepted).

Out of interest What is luggage space like?

I agree especially as I would imagine most of the transfers will be cross platform and no steps - a nicer waiting area and better info though would not go amiss at on the through platforms and better management so that trains can stop at the same end of the platform when operationally feasible

The cross platform statement is not correct.

Currently we have one direct, one cross platform and one ramp/lift/walk/steps trains an hour airport journeys.

This will change to NO direct, one cross platform and TWO ramp/lift/walk/steps.

The current EMR Liverpool trains will continue to allow a cross platform connection once an hour.

The Manchester plan is to remove the need for the current Sheffield -Airport service to cut right across Piccadilly station 'throat' to complete its journey and so the current Airport train will have to terminate in the 'shed' which means ramps/lifts/steps and a long walk.

The slower but much quieter and cheaper Northern service also requires a hike from the 'shed'.

Luggage space is standard for a single decker and suitable for singles couples. Families would find taxis more convenient.

My concern is that timekeeping, which is currently very good, would be badly affected by heavy traffic between the Airport and Manchester.

i was referring to the fact that the proposals are for the airport train to be replaced by through Liverpool trains from Sheffield  with a twice hourly service and that therefore the trains at Piccadilly would mainly be cross platform transfers.

Of course the slow service will go into the shed but in the context of the discussion most people going to the airport do not use the stopper and this is the situation today

My concern is that timekeeping, which is currently very good, would be badly affected by heavy traffic between the Airport and Manchester.

I assume you mean the bus here and I certainly agree if it were me I would not want to be on a bus going right through Manchester heading to the airport (bad enough going back home)

Even carting a suitcase from platforms 1-14 up to the through platforms (or vice versa) is preferable to sitting on a bus for 2 hours and the risk of a prolonged journey through the Glossop area.

8 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Even carting a suitcase from platforms 1-14 up to the through platforms (or vice versa) is preferable to sitting on a bus for 2 hours and the risk of a prolonged journey through the Glossop area.

Not just Glosop the bus goes right through Manchester

Just now, Bigal1 said:

Not just Glosop the bus goes right through Manchester

True, I am just remembering my own experience of being sat in traffic around that area for ages (between Glossop and the end of the M67), I dont recall seeing any bus lanes.