New Bus Service - Sheffield To Manchester

Jeffrey Shaw

ALSO

New threads have been created today, as follows

1. Mottram Moor delays and the long-promised bypass.

2. "Are Snake and Woodhead open?"

Please post on the present thread only re the bus service.

Message added by Jeffrey Shaw

23 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

About half a dozen times a year.  We need a tunnel or two through the Pennines. 

Hmmm - perhaps we could propose a slight modification to the HS2 plan....

The Crosspool stop might prove very handy for a lot of people nearby and would make the overall trip quicker than the train and presumably also cheaper. 

The cost of a ticket is a key point. For those of us with no rail pass or season ticket the train to Mcr is quite expensive for a 50 minute trip. How much will it cost?

I'm sure I used to get a National Express coach in the 1980s that went via either Snake or Woodhead rather than M62.

I get that it has probably better scenery and is cheaper, but I think that working loos and almost half the travel time means the train wins for me!

There are buses from leeds to whitby for long time now.

Sheffield to buxton bus was great when walking through the peak district but there has been no decent way of crossing pennines on a bus for a long time now.

16 hours ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

Monday 26 October, according to signage.

Hulley's. Website http://www.hulleys-of-baslow.co.uk/timetable-1.

The X57 and 257 will be interworked. X57 starts on Monday 26 October at a two-hourly frequency.

And there used to be three (not two!) services- 39, 44, and 48- in pre SYPTE days.

I am not aware that the 44 ever went to Manchester, no further than Bakewell.

6 hours ago, alexander874 said:

I am not aware that the 44 ever went to Manchester, no further than Bakewell.

Perhaps so; but there were indeed three Sheffield-Manchester services. I'll look it up.

33 minutes ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

Perhaps so; but there were indeed three Sheffield-Manchester services. I'll look it up.

I think the 39 only ran during the summer via the Snake pass.

19 hours ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

18 hours ago, alexander874 said:

I think the 39 only ran during the summer via the Snake pass.

I've tracked back to 1954.

Svc. 39 ran via Snake. During winter, it turned round at Snake Inn (i.e. not all the way to Manchester) and Tuesdays-only.

Svc. 48 ran via Woodhead. It was later renumbered X48.

Svc. 44 did not run to Manchester- only as far as Derwent- so you were correct.

The third one that I incorrectly recalled was in fact a National Express service. I think that it might have been svc. 351 linking Sheffield-Manchester-Liverpool, but it's currently n/a due to The Virus.

Richardsons used to run a Manchester service a few years back, think it went to the airport.

8 hours ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

I've tracked back to 1954.

Svc. 39 ran via Snake. During winter, it turned round at Snake Inn (i.e. not all the way to Manchester) and Tuesdays-only.

Svc. 48 ran via Woodhead. It was later renumbered X48.

Svc. 44 did not run to Manchester- only as far as Derwent- so you were correct.

The third one that I incorrectly recalled was in fact a National Express service. I think that it might have been svc. 351 linking Sheffield-Manchester-Liverpool, but it's currently n/a due to The Virus.

Did Ribble operate the X48 briefly , I seem to have a hazy memory of seeing an Alantean type bus on Infirmary Road with X48 on the rear blind.

Who the hell do you think is going to use a tunnel to Manchester when the ridiculous HS2 comes into operation, which never will happen? It has to be a toll, We have tolls in the south ... !!!