New Bus Service - Sheffield To Manchester

Jeffrey Shaw

ALSO

New threads have been created today, as follows

1. Mottram Moor delays and the long-promised bypass.

2. "Are Snake and Woodhead open?"

Please post on the present thread only re the bus service.

Message added by Jeffrey Shaw

As the title says, a new service starts on 25th October.

Snake  X57

Sheffield > Glossop > Manchester

Expect to see lots of Mancunian tourists soon!

Starting just before winter. Good planning.

I take it this will be useful for people living close to one of the numerous stops, but I can't see many people using it to travel between Sheffield and Manchester.  The train service is OK, so why travel an extra half hour in less comfort?

I suspect ( not know!) that there are several different motivators behind this one.

It runs non-stop from Manchester to Mottram; so it is only slightly slower than the train on that route.

Sheffield and Glossop must have some of the worst public transport links, relative to distance, in the country.

The Sheffield via Ashopton route may see passenger numbers increase with a more frequent and later service.

2 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

I take it this will be useful for people living close to one of the numerous stops, but I can't see many people using it to travel between Sheffield and Manchester.  The train service is OK, so why travel an extra half hour in less comfort?

Less comfort? Unless the trains have improved considerably since I was doing that journey daily I don't think so. I always found the rail replacement services to be much more comfortable.

As for why travel an extra half hour... well, the scenery is fantastic.

15 hours ago, the_bloke said:

Starting just before winter. Good planning.

Snap! Certainly a limited service.

This service is good news for walkers who want to access routes off snake pass.  I'd think that is where a lot of business will come from. I'll use it myself.

Don't knock it although I do wonder about the winter timetable.

Suspect a very useful service for those on the route even if less attractive for the end to end (although if our senior bus passes are valid might be an option if not in a hurry)

One has to hope it is successful and who knows it might spur TPE and EMT to provide a better service themselves

Who is behind running this service? Sheffield use to have two regular Sheffield corporation buses to Manchester. One over Woodhead and one over the Snake. 

20 hours ago, darylslinn said:

When does the Snake Pass reopen ?

Monday 26 October, according to signage.

1 hour ago, sedith said:

Who is behind running this service? Sheffield use to have two regular Sheffield corporation buses to Manchester. One over Woodhead and one over the Snake. 

Hulley's. Website http://www.hulleys-of-baslow.co.uk/timetable-1.

The X57 and 257 will be interworked. X57 starts on Monday 26 October at a two-hourly frequency.

And there used to be three (not two!) services- 39, 44, and 48- in pre SYPTE days.

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw
Added detail

23 hours ago, darylslinn said:

When does the Snake Pass reopen ?

About half a dozen times a year.  We need a tunnel or two through the Pennines. 

Edited by Baron99