The Christmas Logo Competition is back. See thread in Sheffield Discussions for details ×

Blades V Fulham

We have played some solid football in spells, but we really need to kick start our season and get some points on that board, before the pressure mounts.

Three changes from the Arsenal game, all of which do make a large degree of sense. JOC is injured and we obviously didn't bring a central defender in, therefore Enda drops into the left hand side of the back three. As long as he remains disciplined at the back, he understands the system and he has more than enough about him to push forward in the marauding CB role, as JOC did. 

This means that Lowe comes in as LWB, after his performance in the cup showing bags of ability and I am excited to see him make his debut. He loves to beat a man, hit the by-line and get a ball into the box, just what we need.

Ben Osborne hasn't given a bad account of himself in all fairness, in fact he has done quite well in spells. But, we miss the clever distribution and composure of Oli Norwood in the middle. Hopefully, this will give Berge a bit more flexibility and freedom in his game. We really need Lundstram or Berge attacking the box, linking up and making attacking numbers.

The big decision is up top.......Wilder has resisted the temptation to throw brewster in from the start. Instead, Oli McBurnie compliments Dave McGokdrick in front of goal, replacing Burke. You can't really knock Oli Burke's work rate, he's put his all in, however looks a little bit out of sorts at the minute...must be the recent illness. Brewster is on the bench though and he is primed to be unleashed at some point in the game.

In all fairness, I think this is quite a positive, attacking minded line up. I can't wait to see a Brewster cameo and I'm chuffed to see Norwood back.

Come on you red and white wizards!

So frustratingly annoying!

First 5 mins, Fulham tried to command play with a high tempo, pass and move game. From the 10th minute onwards, we have pretty much dominated everything with our brand of football.

Norwood and Berge have been fantastic...an early injury to Lowe meant that Robinson has had to come into the back three and Enda back in his normal position, but again the two full backs have been fantastic.

We are putting ball after ball into the box! I've genuinely lost count of how many chances we have created so far! It is so frustrating!! McBurnie could have had a first half hat trick with what he's squandered.

Get Brewster onto the pitch whilst we are playing with such confidence and high tempo! He has the opportunity to put a few away here, we are ripping fulhams back four a new one. Sander and Norwood are scaring them senseless.

What do we take out of that?.... Loads of positive, but a fair share of frustrating areas of improvement!

Let me get the obvious out of the first and foremost. The penalty in which we rescued a point, for me we should consider ourselves extremely lucky. For me it is soft, I have to be honest in what I saw. Two players with a leg up and stretched, Robinson makes contact with the ball before Mitrovic and we are gifted a soft penalty. Without VAR it would never have been given in a million years.. .but this system has had us a few times already, so I will take it in compensation.

It's time to be critical.......

As we grew into that first half, we absolutely dominated the game. Once again we had signs of that confident, overwhelming, attacking minded outfit that caused many a team, many a problem last year. But once again we failed to produce the goods in the final third of the pitch!!.... McBurnie, we have to be critical of you today, despite the work rate. You are a striker all things said and done and you have been given several opportunities on a plate today! You have to be doing better with those! At least one of those should have been in the back of the net.

The system as a whole... .it works very, very well. But what grates on me more than anything, we get the ball into the right areas and we simply don't take advantage of them. The front pairing of McBurnie and McGoldrick work so hard in respect of holding the ball up, movement off the ball and tracking back. It is so difficult to be over critical of them.....but they are too similar for me! Two strikers holding the ball up? It brings players into the game from midfield, but we need that poacher. We need that out and out fox in the box!!....You only have to look at how we changed the dimension and caused problems when Brewster and Billy came on. We need two contrasting strikers! Work rate alone doesn't win games! 

Secondly......diving in! Why? 

We know how pacey these modern day pitches are, yet to still choose to commit ourselves into desperate challenges! Stay on your feet! We are up against pacey, skillful, counter attacking teams and they will punish us if we don't hold discipline. This is something that seems to have come with the mild rock of confidence! If we commit, then we need to make sure that we win that ball!.....too many times today! We lunged in half hearted or desperately, only for players to skip through and past us.

All in all?.....A fair result, regardless of the fortune.

We did enough to win the game, but equally Fulham will feel that they have done enough to warrant a point minimum.

It's funny isn't it......once again our two key players and men of the match are Ramsdale and Berge, with Norwood up there as well. The former two being singled out by a Billy know nowt on here a short while ago.

By sounds of it mitrovic earnt you that point. Missed penalty, fouled to give you a penalty and missed a couple of sitters. Still it's a point to get you going, should really be beating these but we all know it doesn't always work like that.

It was described as a must win game on Radio Sheffield well it wasn’t a win.

28 minutes ago, cmonkes said:

What do we take out of that?.... Loads of positive, but a fair share of frustrating areas of improvement!

All in all?.....A fair result, 

Always enjoy reading your comments Monkes.

A fair result, yep..

Trouble is after dominating most of the game, we were lucky not to lose :huh:.

They must learn where the net is, if you don't score you don't win.

Never mind we've moved up a place in the table.

Only listened to it on Radio Sheffield & agree a draw was a fair result based on the commentary but still disappointing overall, considering the number of chances we appear to have had in the first half. 

You don't get many chances in the Premiership to score but we seemed to be so close in the first half.  Must have had a good half dozen that only needed a final touch?  So we are at least creating the chances. 

Sounds as though Berger put in a full shift, along with McBurnie, who I'm usually critical of.   At least this time we got the rub with VAR. 

2 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Only listened to it on Radio Sheffield & agree a draw was a fair result based on the commentary but still disappointing overall, considering the number of chances we appear to have had in the first half. 

You don't get many chances in the Premiership to score but we seemed to be so close in the first half.  Must have had a good half dozen that only needed a final touch?  So we are at least creating the chances. 

Sounds as though Berger put in a full shift, along with McBurnie, who I'm usually critical of.   At least this time we got the rub with VAR. 

McBurnie's work rate was top notch. I think it sums up what he has recently said to welsh media, in the respect that he is now expected to do a great deal more than sit in the box as a number 9.

But this approach once again has proven to be costly, as despite all of the work in the final third of the pitch, we lacked the out and out finisher / fox in the box.

Both McBurnie and Mcgoldrick worked their socks off, chasing the ball down and harrassing defenders. But when they do so, they end up at acute angles to goal or outside of the box if that makes sense? They find themselves doing the job that you would want them to do when defending a 1-0 lead (late on). It's counter productive and we don't have the numbers in the box.

Mcburnie today did break that mould a little bit and he did manage to shrug off the CB's, although the Fulham defenders marking was highly questionable. But his overall style of play has changed and he's not as clinical as we would like at the minute. He knows where the back of the net is, he is a proven goalscorer...but the style of play isn't suiting (in my opinion). I don't blame Wilder person, I think we have to look at it as a period of adjustment and hope that he is able to develop his overall gameplay.

Brewster however will hopefully be the contrast that we need to play off players like McGoldrick and McBurnie. We do however, have to allow the player do what he does best. Of course we want him harrassing defenders and chasing back as an when required, but we also need him to be the poacher that he is proven to be. 

Once again it has nearly coast us!.... We can't afford to create so much and waste so much. Because time after time, it is biting us on the backside. 

4 hours ago, Padders said:

Always enjoy reading your comments Monkes.

A fair result, yep..

Trouble is after dominating most of the game, we were lucky not to lose :huh:.

They must learn where the net is, if you don't score you don't win.

Never mind we've moved up a place in the table.

Cheers Padders and I agree with your comments in full.

McBurnie...waste of money.

1 hour ago, steved32 said:

McBurnie...waste of money.

Agreed, Billy Sharp is more of a threat.

Massive point at home against fellow relegation contenders, this point could prove decisive come the end of the season.