Dvd Not Playing

This is an annoying issue. 

I have a box set and the first 2 episodes on the first disc played fine. A few days later I switched the DVD player on with the same disc and nothing came up, pressing buttons failed to get any response. Opening & closing the door and removing and replacing the disc had no effect.

The same disc loaded fine onto both my PC & laptop.

Another disc from the set loaded OK onto the player.

Other DVDs have loaded fine onto the player.

A first world issue I'll grant you dear reader, but annoying nevertheless.

Not suggesting I can help you, but you say when the disc is "loaded" nothing happens, does it begin to spin or not, and what does the front display read (if anything) when this happens? You also say that all other discs are playing normally?

3 hours ago, carosio said:

Not suggesting I can help you, but you say when the disc is "loaded" nothing happens, does it begin to spin or not, and what does the front display read (if anything) when this happens? You also say that all other discs are playing normally?

It starts to spin but then stops and tries again. The display shows Load and a little right arrow.

No problem with rest of box set or other DVDs.

Presume the disc is clear with no small marks. Sometimes, on elderly players the efficiency of the laser drops and small errors on discs can cause problems.

Also, cleaning the lens might help.

Edited by carosio

19 hours ago, carosio said:

Presume the disc is clear with no small marks. Sometimes, on elderly players the efficiency of the laser drops and small errors on discs can cause problems.

Also, cleaning the lens might help.

Thanks for your suggestions. I bit the bullet and watched the episode on my PC. 

Update:

I watched the 3rd episode on the first disc on my PC, not ideal but it worked.

I watched the first episode on the second disc on my player OK but the next night the DVD got 12 seconds in while loading and froze. Same with the third and fourth discs; they all 3 work on my PC so it looks like evenings on my PC for the next few nights.

I bought this in June so it's too late to return.

58 minutes ago, max said:

Update:

I watched the 3rd episode on the first disc on my PC, not ideal but it worked.

I watched the first episode on the second disc on my player OK but the next night the DVD got 12 seconds in while loading and froze. Same with the third and fourth discs; they all 3 work on my PC so it looks like evenings on my PC for the next few nights.

I bought this in June so it's too late to return.

If it was purchased new, in June... Most new items have a minimum 12 months warranty... if it's faulty, return it...

You haven't said whether it's an old DVD player but if it is then it's probably laser/ fogged up lens/guide rails as most common faults.

Edited by carosio

2 hours ago, Ghozer said:

If it was purchased new, in June... Most new items have a minimum 12 months warranty... if it's faulty, return it...

I've just gone through the returns policy for Amazon, it took a while as I went through the chat bot. Thanks for the reminder.

So, I decided to bite the bullet and join Netflix for a month to watch the last 6 episodes and series 2 if it warranted it.

Despite a free trial month not being available in the UK according to Google,  I was offered a free month of Premium membership for £0.

Result.