The Christmas Logo Competition is back. See thread in Sheffield Discussions for details ×

Bullying In The Workplace

Just heard a supervisor call a young colleague a bitch while reprimanding her... Any advice welcome only worked there a few months so got no job security yet? 

Edited by nikki-red

Don't risk your job by saying anything as you don't want to lose a job at the current time.  Having said that you should be able to say something without even thinking about any come backs on yourself.   I suppose its how you feel yourself as to whether you bring this to someone's attention.  As a customer I witnessed a member of staff being spoken to in a disgusting manner by a colleague in a local shop and I had to bite my lip and walk away or I would have let rip.

8 minutes ago, katekate said:

Don't risk your job by saying anything as you don't want to lose a job at the current time.  Having said that you should be able to say something without even thinking about any come backs on yourself.   I suppose its how you feel yourself as to whether you bring this to someone's attention.  As a customer I witnessed a member of staff being spoken to in a disgusting manner by a colleague in a local shop and I had to bite my lip and walk away or I would have let rip.

Am in same situation caught between a rock and a hard place hope it all blows over 

How times have changed. For most of my working life I worked with other lads. The leg pulling etc that went off between us I suppose now would in some cases be classed as bullying. Calling each other various rude names was common but all in jest. Ladies in the office gave as good as they took, never took offence. 28 years ago, as I commented how times have changed !

4 hours ago, Runningman said:

How times have changed. For most of my working life I worked with other lads. The leg pulling etc that went off between us I suppose now would in some cases be classed as bullying. Calling each other various rude names was common but all in jest. Ladies in the office gave as good as they took, never took offence. 28 years ago, as I commented how times have changed !

Did you actually read the original post? This wasn't two colleagues sharing a bit of banter, it was a superior telling off a subordinate. If it had just been a bit of banter the subordinate should have been able to respond in kind. How do you think doing so would have gone down if the subordinate in the OP had done so in this instance?