Sign in to follow this  

Help Needed To Save Healey Dam, Ossett.

This maybe a long shot but please bear with me...

Cast your minds back to your first fishing experience.

The first place you ever fished.

Do you still fish there?

If you do, then your one of the lucky ones!!

Fishing is addictive, otherwise you wouldn’t still be fishing now.

The place where I learned how to fish is under threat and due to be netted and closed at the end of 2020.

Its most probably down to money, as is most things nowadays.

I would be surprised if anybody in here has actually fished it.

Its not in Sheffield, it’s in Wakefield.

Healey Dam Ossett.

I’m trying to do what I can to keep this fishery a fishery, improving the grounds and access so it’s accessible to everybody, providing on site toilets, wheelchair access to all the pegs and a community room for fishing lessons, community groups etc etc.

Ive been contacting the land owners, local businesses,

local angling clubs

and the national lottery (hopefully for funding)

Ive started the ball rolling, hopefully I can gain more support from anglers from local and surrounding areas to help save this place.

I realise this happens up and down the country, year in year out.

Any help, support, ideas are most welcome.

Thanks.

Edited by nikki-red

It is still on Wakefield Angling club book until 31/12/2020.

For those that know it and fish it it’s still as popular as it was.

1 hour ago, Gav2126 said:

It is still on Wakefield Angling club book until 31/12/2020.

For those that know it and fish it it’s still as popular as it was.

Ok, if it's popular and the club don't own it, who owns the lease? Who is dealing with it at the club?

Not being obtuse here, I remember reading an article about how alot of club committees were getting on a bit and not much new blood was willing to get involved. Stuff like this is the end result, leases drift. 

Thanks Tinfoil,

I try and give you as much info as I have at point of writing this, 

WAC loose Healey Dam as you stated 31/12/2020.

After this, DB cargo will be netting and removing all fish. No fishing.

Im in contact with WAC regarding this to get as much info as possible, also with DB cargo, river authority and environment agency.

DB cargo bounce my emails around different departments.

Apparently, DB cargo lost a court case regarding injuries and a death? on their properties. They are not renewing any fishing.

I think it’s a straight forward as the club not renewing the lease, what the new lease holders do is really up to them unfortunately.

Hi Gav hope your well,

Im new to fishing and live not to far away form Healy dam. I intend to come down and fish here on the weekend. I would love to come down and support the place by coming to fish to help generate some revenue. If I was to come down this weekend would I just need to come with some money to pay for a ticket for the day? Please let me know as if nothing else I would love to see this little place before anything happens to it and would also like to do my bit to help save it if possible at all? 

Kind regards,

Cavan.

Edited by Cavan
Typo

Hi there mate just to let you no yeah would love to try and save healy dam pound ossett as it is where I did my first fishing and I live in Ossett and I have fish healy all the time and right up just till it gone as Wakefield angling club give it up as they did not want to spend money on fixing the pegs and because it floods some time at back end of the year but it all ways has and yeah a lot of people did fish it but no one said any thing because they did not want it to get ramed with people and my mate was the ballif for healy but if you can try save it I'm with you on that as I live in Ossett and it only down the road from me let me no if you get any where with db cargo 

Definitely interested in healey dam being saved any new news about progress would like to know how to help