The Beatles - Worst Songs

On 14/10/2020 at 15:28, wearysmith said:

'Worse songs' is always going to be subjective. I think much of 'The White Album' is 2nd rate/disposable, yet I'm constantly shouted down by devotees who assure me that's it's actually better than sliced bread.  I remain unconvinced and retain my "It'd have made one very good album, rather than a double" stance.

He's a few that grate with me:

'Revolution 9' - pretentious drivel. I blame John for letting Yoko in the room.

'Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds' - by no means a bad song. Would never say that. But I've heard it that many times I don't EVER need to hear it again.

'You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)' - Hardly the uncovered gem we were looking forward to. Should have left it in the archives.

'I Am The Walrus' - Lennon again, trying to be controversial. It didn't need the 'dead dog's eye' line. He could have easily written something else, but he wanted to shock. I'm NOT against 'challenging'. I wouldn't want an overly-sweet world, but that line is fingernails down a blackboard for me.

Not sure where to put 'Maxwell's Silver Hammer'. I hate it and love it in equal measures. Depends on my mood. Heard some good cover versions that actually enhance Paul's original.  I'd recommend Let's Wrestle's version from MOJO mag's 'Abbey Road Now!' CD).

(Actually, 'What's your favourite Beatles cover versions?' might make a great addendum to this thread).

I've felt exactly the same about The White Album for years. They over-stretched themselves and it gets worse as it goes on.

On 14/10/2020 at 12:02, Lockjaw said:

Some of my favourite Beatles songs are listed above!

Personally, I've never been keen on Eleanor Rigby.  Never really been able to work out why - I suspect it could be the string arrangement but then I think Yesterday and She's Leaving Home are among their best. 

Weird.

In what way do you think it is over-rated?

I adore Eleanor Rugby.  I find it very dark, not just because of the lyrics but the tune.  Perhaps it's in a minor key?  I tend to gravitate towards them.

I don't like Michelle very much.  I find it really boring.

Edited by Lex Luthor