Harry Gration's Retirement.

6 hours ago, pintor said:

He's been a good presenter over the years, but agree he looks tired now, must be the new kiddie!. No doubt being the BBC they will have a black or gay presenter lined up to keep up with the main BBC channels, good luck to him in retirement all the same 

Hahaha. Are you related to Jim Davidson?

1975 just called and asked for their “banter” back. 

Can we please stay on topic, and not try to turn this thread into something it’s not? 

Cheers.

On 14/10/2020 at 21:23, Baron99 said:

A slight sidetrack but for many months, both Look North & Calendar were only hosted by one main presenter, (both Harry Gration & Calendar's Mike Morris were isolating), with only an occasional other reporter in each studio covering say sports & weather, usually from another studio due to social distancing. 

Everything worked fine but Calendar's back to two presenters again, no doubt they'll be a replacement for Gration & Look North will be back to two presenters?  

But does does a half hour regional news programme really need two presenters when even the main news channels generally only have one presenters? 

Yes, I think they do need two presenters, it makes for a lighter programme, in comparison with the national news.  Imagine just Christa Ackroyd for half an hour!

I like Harry.  He interviewed me once, at the SUFC v SWFC game at Wembley.  What a day that was!  He comes across as a very gentle, humble man with a good sense of humour.  He didn't half get some stick that day - "What's Look Leeds doing here?" etc . 😂

3 hours ago, Lex Luthor said:

Yes, I think they do need two presenters, it makes for a lighter programme, in comparison with the national news.  Imagine just Christa Ackroyd for half an hour!

Yes, current affairs programmes are always improved by having 2 anchors.

3 hours ago, max said:

Yes, current affairs programmes are always improved by having 2 anchors.

7 hours ago, Lex Luthor said:

Not sure I fully agree.

In my opinion current affairs programs by their very nature should be heavy, dry and dull in presentation. I think it can be a slippery slope editorially that by trying to make them 'lighter' and 'more accessible' it inevitably leads to them being dumbed down with less focus on the facts and more focus on the personality  - That is something that GMB with Piers Moron repeatedly fails on a multiple occasions.

Whilst I can appreciate a second presenter breaks up the monotony -  I must admit one thing I do get really frustrated with is this TV habit of of the two presenters saying one paragraph each on a script consecutively. It's a very bizarre concept that most normal people will never do in real life. At the very least if doing a speech with multiple people you would close off one topic and pass over to someone else for another not literally swap over dialogue after a few sentences.

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

Not sure I fully agree.

In my opinion current affairs programs by their very nature should be heavy, dry and dull in presentation. I think it can be a slippery slope editorially that by trying to make them 'lighter' and 'more accessible' it inevitably leads to them being dumbed down with less focus on the facts and more focus on the personality  - That is something that GMB with Piers Moron repeatedly fails on a multiple occasions.

Whilst I can appreciate a second presenter breaks up the monotony -  I must admit one thing I do get really frustrated with is this TV habit of of the two presenters saying one paragraph each on a script consecutively. It's a very bizarre concept that most normal people will never do in real life. At the very least if doing a speech with multiple people you would close off one topic and pass over to someone else for another not literally swap over dialogue after a few sentences.

Mine was a joke, just say the phrase out loud.

53 minutes ago, CaptainSwing said:

Not really, he's only 69 (till next week).  Bit of an ageist comment.  The next leader of the western world will be at least 5 years older than that.

Yes i agree.  Just like showbiz - politics is another one of those other sectors which seems to buck the trend.

I am not particularly being ageist I'm just making a point that I don't know many average Joe's in average jobs who are still working full-time 5 days a week at the age of 70.  

So Harry Gration suffered a bout of pneumonia while isolating for other health reasons during his months away from Look North.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/people/harry-gration-reveals-he-was-hospitalised-pneumonia-while-shielding-during-lockdown-3007566

Some other interesting comments in the piece as well, including that the there is to be a 'Cull' of BBC staff with the programme only having one main presenter.   It comes across that he's decided to retire before the BBC 'retired' him?

Edited by Baron99

On 16/10/2020 at 15:53, max said:

Mine was a joke, just say the phrase out loud.

😎

On 16/10/2020 at 13:56, ECCOnoob said:

Not sure I fully agree.

Yes, I do get your point, and it can sound very unnatural.  It depends how talented the presenters are, what natural flair and 'feel' for what's going on, they have.  Your comments reminded me of Ron Burgundy.🤣 Did you see the film Anchorman?

As for the 'dumbing down' - I've never gone fully back to BBC Breakfast ever since they decided that what happened on Strictly should be the main headline. 🙈