Harry Gration's Retirement.

Just announced on tonight's Look North.  Not by him but by Amy Garcia? 

Her tone suggests that he won't be making another appearance on Look North?   She said he's moving on to other presenting opportunities? 

Seems a bit strange? 

Edited by Baron99

He’s leaving the BBC completely, presenting his last show on 21 October, the day before he turns 70.

"I'm looking forward to some new broadcasting adventures and some special time with my family and a certain one-year-old."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-england-leeds-54525329

Edited by nikki-red

He will be pushing a sofa round the Peak District next week. All the best Harry in whatever you do now.

Edited by *Wallace*

He's a good presenter but I think he's past his sell by date now.  He always looks tired.

I have to agree with the previous two posters.  

For all his dedicated service and whatever "legend" status people purport him to be -  it really is time for a change.   

Let's face it, in any other industry he would have been long retired by now.  

Given the huge amount of critique and whining over the BBCs finances spouted by some people on this forum - I suspect they will be delighted that another dinosaur with decades of pay increments is being replaced by a younger cheaper model. 

There must be something about regional news which turns them into the the TV equivalent of being out to pasture.  Mostly seems to have the same format of a much older male presenter with a much younger (presumably cheaper) female presenter.

I find local tv good for spotting some old retro faces too.  From my travelling around I've seen Fred Dinenage (of how2 fame) blabbing on about the news in Kent.... Nick Owen (of anne & nick fame) hosting Look Birmingham....  Andy Crane (of ed the duck fame) reporting for the northwest region.... and Anneka Rice (of lycra clad backside shot fame) doing it for the girls, presenting shows on BBC London.

One can feel quite nostalgic.

Edited by ECCOnoob

A slight sidetrack but for many months, both Look North & Calendar were only hosted by one main presenter, (both Harry Gration & Calendar's Mike Morris were isolating), with only an occasional other reporter in each studio covering say sports & weather, usually from another studio due to social distancing. 

Everything worked fine but Calendar's back to two presenters again, no doubt they'll be a replacement for Gration & Look North will be back to two presenters?  

But does does a half hour regional news programme really need two presenters when even the main news channels generally only have one presenters? 

5 hours ago, francypants said:

He's a good presenter but I think he's past his sell by date now.  He always looks tired.

I agree with you here. He does look tired and impatient most of the time !

He's been a good presenter over the years, but agree he looks tired now, must be the new kiddie!. No doubt being the BBC they will have a black or gay presenter lined up to keep up with the main BBC channels, good luck to him in retirement all the same 

1 hour ago, pintor said:

He's been a good presenter over the years, but agree he looks tired now, must be the new kiddie!. No doubt being the BBC they will have a black or gay presenter lined up to keep up with the main BBC channels, good luck to him in retirement all the same 

New Kiddie, do you mean Paul Hudson who always gets the weather wrong,  :hihi:

5 hours ago, pintor said:

Oh I do hope so.  In fact let's make them black AND gay that would really stick two fingers up to the knuckle dragers who still seem to take issue with someone's heritage and sexual preference.