Silly Scooter Driver

On 29/10/2020 at 19:55, stifflersmom said:

But you don't have to pay it. There are plenty of choices of vehicle where the amount payable is £0. Plus, it doesn't fund the roads. 

Thanks for the info, will you buy me one to replace mine?

I think we're ******* up a wall trying to convince people that "road tax" as an entity doesn't exist.

Because there once was a road fund licence, which contributed towards maintenance of the roads, the idea is stuck in some people's heads, and can't be derailed because that would be admitting they are wrong, which takes a lot of courage.

The fact that road maintenance is paid for from general taxation/council tax appears to be irrelevant - even though this means that people who don't drive a motor vehicle or ride a bike also contribute to 'the roads'...

If the scooter in this OP was a class 3 scooter then by law it should be registered and have a vehicle registration plate, although it is not law that this plate has to be attached to the scooter.  Mine is in the filing cabinet upstairs along with my scooter's V5 and my insurance documents.  The insurance covers theft, accidental damage, personal injury, breakdown recovery, replacement scooter hire and third party costs, and was the princely sum of £65 for a full year's cover.

The vehicle excise duty on mobility scooters is currently at zero, partly because the scooter is powered by electric and the VED on electric cars is also zero in most cases, and partly because most mobility scooter users are disabled and are exempt from VED on their primary vehicle because of this. 

To answer the OP:

Of course scooter drivers should observe and comply with all of the road laws and highway code applying, although I do not know of any way that this may be tested or ensured in a population of sometimes elderly scooter drivers. 

On 30/10/2020 at 15:34, bassett one said:

there are many reasons a cyclist and scooter driver and any electric bike as well ,should pay insurance ,the main being if they hit someone it can be sorted,re a test that would ensure they can ride or drive the vehicle on todays modern congested roads and a road tax is due as to ensure we all pay towards the roads we use,but the insurance and road test are the main 2.

Road tax? Whats that?

20 hours ago, Becky B said:

I think we're ******* up a wall trying to convince people that "road tax" as an entity doesn't exist.

Because there once was a road fund licence, which contributed towards maintenance of the roads, the idea is stuck in some people's heads, and can't be derailed because that would be admitting they are wrong, which takes a lot of courage.

The fact that road maintenance is paid for from general taxation/council tax appears to be irrelevant - even though this means that people who don't drive a motor vehicle or ride a bike also contribute to 'the roads'...

The inability of people to understand that road tax doesn't exist isn't helped by the gov.uk site is accessed by links to "Tax your vehicle", "Check if your vehicle is taxed", etc.  Nor that your V11 is titled "Vehicle tax reminder letter".

Edited by max