Silly Scooter Driver

19 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

Simple. A speed where you can stop if they make a random movement. Yes, you are allowed to slow down

What speed are you  traveling if 1 metre away?  Bearing in mind the stopping distance at 5mph is 2m, based on an extrapolation of highway code data.

Maybe, based on your previous experience in avoiding pedestrians, you are dangerously overestimating your driving abilities.

19 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

Hazard perception is now part of the theory test and has been for some time.  

I would dispute that most cyclists are drivers unless you are omitting teenagers.

Being very serious here, You can do an online hazard perception test that is interactive and free, I would encourage anyone to do so. It can be a real eye opener.

To give an example of how it worked for Me and a pedestrian. About 4 years ago I was going past Sheffield Rail station towards ponds forge. There were pedestrians gathering at the crossing so I slowed down. I saw in my nearside mirror a cyclist but could only see the top of his head and he was watching a speedo or something. I sounded the horn and the pedestrian nearest saw what was happening and stepped back. My sounding the horn caused the cyclist to apply his brakes hard and went straight over his bars. I saw the  hazard and acted appropriately and prevented a pedestrian getting hurt. The cyclist did get hurt but that was self inflicted. I am aware that not all cyclists are like this but when I took mu CCTV to the police they said that until a registration scheme is introduced they have no way of tracing offenders.

The information I can find online indicates that for 18 yrs and over, approximately 85% of cyclists hold a driving license.

Guest busdriver1
1 hour ago, Bargepole23 said:

What speed are you  traveling if 1 metre away?  Bearing in mind the stopping distance at 5mph is 2m, based on an extrapolation of highway code data.

My record speaks for itself. No there is no need to travel at 5MPH you just read the road and take note of pedestrians.. There are thousands or more drivers who have never hit a pedestrian. Maybe they also keep a good lookout.

1 hour ago, Bargepole23 said:

The information I can find online indicates that for 18 yrs and over, approximately 85% of cyclists hold a driving license.

But what about the under 18's? there are a massive amount there

A link to one of many free hazard perception tests on line. 

LINK 

and this lot still have no insurance,no proof they can ride a bike or scooter,pay no road tax ,its about time they had to pay whats needed and prove they are capable,i can drive a car ,but cannot ride a motor bike,tried but not got the skill,that proves its differant to a car.

1 hour ago, bassett one said:

this lot.....pay no road tax 

I don't know how to break this to you - & Allah knows. plenty of posters have tried on this thread - NO-ONE pays road tax...

It's passed on! This tax is no more! It has ceased to be! It's expired and gone to meet its maker! It's a stiff! Bereft of life, it rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed it to the dashboard it'd be pushing up the daisies! Its metabolic processes are now 'istory! It's's off the twig! It's kicked the bucket, it's shuffled off its mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-TAX!!

Now the duty that automotive carriages have to pay is based on their EMISSIONS. Bicycles, wheelchairs, roller skates, skateboards, unicycles & their like emit no EMISSIONS, hence they don't pay EMISSIONS duty.

Please tell us all that you've got it.....please......do it for the children if nothing else

13 hours ago, MJ01 said:

I don't know how to break this to you - & Allah knows. plenty of posters have tried on this thread - NO-ONE pays road tax...

It's passed on! This tax is no more! It has ceased to be! It's expired and gone to meet its maker! It's a stiff! Bereft of life, it rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed it to the dashboard it'd be pushing up the daisies! Its metabolic processes are now 'istory! It's's off the twig! It's kicked the bucket, it's shuffled off its mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-TAX!!

Now the duty that automotive carriages have to pay is based on their EMISSIONS. Bicycles, wheelchairs, roller skates, skateboards, unicycles & their like emit no EMISSIONS, hence they don't pay EMISSIONS duty.

Please tell us all that you've got it.....please......do it for the children if nothing else

👍

Whatever fancy latest trendy name you give it it's still a tax.

18 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

My record speaks for itself. No there is no need to travel at 5MPH you just read the road and take note of pedestrians.. There are thousands or more drivers who have never hit a pedestrian. Maybe they also keep a good lookout.

But what about the under 18's? there are a massive amount there

A link to one of many free hazard perception tests on line. 

LINK 

So to summarise, you don't slow down enough to not hit a pedestrian, should one unexpectedly leap out. Note the word "unexpectedly", I could equally have used "unpredicatbly", meaning you can examine those pedestrians as hard as you want, you still can't know if they will suddenly decide to cross the road.

If they do, and they are within the stopping distance of your vehicle at the speed you are travelling, you will hit them.

What about the under 18's? You were the one who excluded teenagers, so I looked for data to exclude teenagers as best I could....

On 27/10/2020 at 20:52, busdriver1 said:

Hazard perception is now part of the theory test and has been for some time.  

I would dispute that most cyclists are drivers unless you are omitting teenagers.

Being very serious here, You can do an online hazard perception test that is interactive and free, I would encourage anyone to do so. It can be a real eye opener.

To give an example of how it worked for Me and a pedestrian. About 4 years ago I was going past Sheffield Rail station towards ponds forge. There were pedestrians gathering at the crossing so I slowed down. I saw in my nearside mirror a cyclist but could only see the top of his head and he was watching a speedo or something. I sounded the horn and the pedestrian nearest saw what was happening and stepped back. My sounding the horn caused the cyclist to apply his brakes hard and went straight over his bars. I saw the  hazard and acted appropriately and prevented a pedestrian getting hurt. The cyclist did get hurt but that was self inflicted. I am aware that not all cyclists are like this but when I took mu CCTV to the police they said that until a registration scheme is introduced they have no way of tracing offenders.

Can I assume you agree with statement highlighted above?

If so, do you see it worthwhile extending it to other situations where lack of an identifying number could prevent identification?

Situations where offences are more frequent and more prevalent, for example?

Makes sense, surely?

1 hour ago, cytine said:

So should road access should be dependent on the amount of tax an individual pays which goes towards road building and maintenance?

Edited by Bargepole23

2 hours ago, cytine said:

Given that it's just another fancy name for a tax do you agree that cyclists should pay the same amount of tax as cars?

If you do, then I fully support a tax on cyclists on a sliding scale of £0 to £2,175 dependent on emissions.

Guest busdriver1
2 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

So to summarise, you don't slow down enough to not hit a pedestrian, should one unexpectedly leap out. Note the word "unexpectedly", I could equally have used "unpredicatbly", meaning you can examine those pedestrians as hard as you want, you still can't know if they will suddenly decide to cross the road.

If they do, and they are within the stopping distance of your vehicle at the speed you are travelling, you will hit them.

What about the under 18's? You were the one who excluded teenagers, so I looked for data to exclude teenagers as best I could....

You are hell bent on finding a reason why I will hit and Kill somebody. Despite my assurances that in 50 years of driving I have never done so but have thankfully missed many close incidents. Sorry, but I put a large part of it down to hazard perception training. Because of my position I take at least one annually and as the pass mark is 100% and I pass every year.

I put it to you that you should take one and learn from it and you will then find that most of your "what if" scenarios will disappear. It is plainly clear you have never taken one and YET AGAIN for the sake of all road users and pedestrians I urge you to take one as you are clearly not equipped in that area, and no this is not meant as an attack, just some advise to help you.

PS I did not exclude teenagers. I excluded kids. To me 0 12 year olds

2 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Can I assume you agree with statement highlighted above?

If so, do you see it worthwhile extending it to other situations where lack of an identifying number could prevent identification?

Situations where offences are more frequent and more prevalent, for example?

Go on them amaze me, if you are going to start with people they are not vehicles mixing with others with a potential weapon. I sense the cycling community is not keen on being held accountable. Thanks I think we know why. 

8 hours ago, cytine said:

But you don't have to pay it. There are plenty of choices of vehicle where the amount payable is £0. Plus, it doesn't fund the roads. 

there are many reasons a cyclist and scooter driver and any electric bike as well ,should pay insurance ,the main being if they hit someone it can be sorted,re a test that would ensure they can ride or drive the vehicle on todays modern congested roads and a road tax is due as to ensure we all pay towards the roads we use,but the insurance and road test are the main 2.