Silly Scooter Driver

On 13/10/2020 at 14:22, bassett one said:

this person ignored a red light,surely there must be  a law for scooters?whats the alchol rule on these scooters as well?

All road users follow the same rules I believe, which includes observing red lights at junctions.

pity this scooter driver didnt and lots of cycles also ignore red lights

I know the guy was wrong but what a fuss from the motorists. But nothing is said when they completely block the pavement

8 minutes ago, desy said:

I know the guy was wrong but what a fuss from the motorists. But nothing is said when they completely block the pavement

Plenty is said. There's a 50 page thread on the subject.

it just seems wrong these scooters and bikes use pavements and road,pay no insurance,no tax and take no tests ,go through red lights,seems wrong to me.

2 hours ago, bassett one said:

it just seems wrong these scooters and bikes use pavements and road,pay no insurance,no tax and take no tests ,go through red lights,seems wrong to me.

Most adult cyclists on the roads these days are also qualified drivers and as such have studied the highway code (including sections on bicycle use) as much as any other road user, and often have their bikes insured as part of their car insurance as well.

Roads & pavements are paid for from general taxation, so cyclists, pedestrians are as likely to have paid a proportionate amount of tax towards the roads as any other citizen has. The VED tax applies to vehicles based on emissions, hence why pedestrians, cyclists, electric cars etc. do not have to pay it, and is not used directly to fund highways in any case.

4 hours ago, bassett one said:

I hardly ever see bikes on the pavement, nor scooters. When I do, its never a hazard, nor an inconvenience. I see far more cars parked on pavements, blocking pavements for legitimate users. I see far more cars running red lights. Every day at park sq roundabout, for example.

On the question of tax. I pay tax at the higher rate. Should I march around expecting those who pay at the lower rate to give me right of way on footpaths, after all, I've contributed more. The answer, by the way, is no. Because society doesn't work like that. We all contribute and we all get something back.

but what happens when these vehicles cause a accident or damage your vehicle,bet it comes out of the motorists insurance ,so hence they all need a licence and insurance in case anything happens,so you can claim,as it stands any idiot can ride a bike or drive a 4 wheel scooter on the pavement or road with no training ect,please note i think most people who ride bikes/scooters are decent folk,but that in my mind is not enough,unless they have at least insurance.

My wife has a scooter which she has had for the past 8 years and it is insured and has third party cover,she would much prefer not to have a scooter and be able to walk on her own but that is no longer possible.We see lots of people on scooters who make silly decisions and put themselves and other people in danger but like some older car drivers they do not want to give up there independence and freedom to go out.

Untill the law changes and older car drivers are required to have there driving abillity checked and scooter riders have to have a test then nothing will change.I am an older driver by the way 73 but like everyone else think that i am ok. 

Guest busdriver1
5 hours ago, jackanne said:

My wife has a scooter which she has had for the past 8 years and it is insured and has third party cover,she would much prefer not to have a scooter and be able to walk on her own but that is no longer possible.We see lots of people on scooters who make silly decisions and put themselves and other people in danger but like some older car drivers they do not want to give up there independence and freedom to go out.

Untill the law changes and older car drivers are required to have there driving abillity checked and scooter riders have to have a test then nothing will change.I am an older driver by the way 73 but like everyone else think that i am ok. 

Interesting and slightly connected fact. In order to use a suitable scooter on a bus the user has to demonstrate their ability to board and disboard unassisted. In west Yorkshire 12 permits have been issued from over 1'000 applicants. I have no idea what the figures are for South Yorkshire area. 

Edited by busdriver1

VERY INTRESTING facts,i didnt know any of that,do they need insurance,i really believe all bikes,inc electric and scooters need insurance for everyones safety,i get the disabled,who needs these scooters as i am sure as a disabled person they need freedom.

23 hours ago, bassett one said:

VERY INTRESTING facts,i didnt know any of that,do they need insurance,i really believe all bikes,inc electric and scooters need insurance for everyones safety,i get the disabled,who needs these scooters as i am sure as a disabled person they need freedom.

How will having insurance make things safer. It's a bit of paper.