Jump to content
The Christmas Logo Competition is back. See thread in Sheffield Discussions for details ×

M O T New Rules

Recommended Posts

As from  early this year the C T M S  [car tyre monitering  systymn ] has been alt altered from advisory to dangerous   that means if you have a light on your dash saying tyres are low your m o t  should fail.   

  Blow  the tyres up  to take light of  as they may go down again  is illegal  and prob should be sorted.  Slow puncture faulty sensors  main prob  as sensors  i tyres  have a battery  in that  last  about 6 years  and need  

replacing .    Why are  m o t  centres  ignoring  this and  not  stocking  necessary  sencors   etc  when they know its  illegal  to put some air in to get em through attitude . 

They want to get it sorted  i phoned  most up all same answer its a nightmare   fail said vechile as you should or make sure you can repair it  as you should do .

Edited by spider1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fake news alert. A TPMS (Tyre Pressure Monitoring system) will (Should) only fail an MOT if it is indicating a fault. 

 

Pulled from the testers manual-  I suggest you familiarise yourself with this manual before posting fake news. 

 

"You must only reject vehicles if it’s clear that the lamp indicates a system malfunction and not simply indicating that one or more of the tyre pressures is low."

 

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-private-passenger-and-light-commercial-vehicles/5-axles-wheels-tyres-and-suspension

Edited by Dardandec

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes fair enough so if blowing up does not take the light out it should fail so why are m o t centres not 

stocking sensors as there must be loads of cars with lights on as the batteries in a lot of sensors are past there sell by date not very good to fail a car because of this 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spider1 said:

Yes fair enough so if blowing up does not take the light out it should fail so why are m o t centres not 

stocking sensors as there must be loads of cars with lights on as the batteries in a lot of sensors are past there sell by date not very good to fail a car because of this 

My test centre does not have facilities to remove a tyre to change a sensor    They only do mots   And I believe if you change a sensor it has be sort of coded to the car again how many just testing station are going to buy a programming machine and ho2 often would they use it ??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So its going to be a dealer only cost hundreds better watch out when buying a second hand car  any body know a way to turn light of and put ordinary valves in they sell things on net that dont work im told  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, spider1 said:

So its going to be a dealer only cost hundreds better watch out when buying a second hand car  any body know a way to turn light of and put ordinary valves in they sell things on net that dont work im told  

To replace a faulty sensor does not cost that much    I’d say less than £80 supplied and fitted 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, rudds1 said:

To replace a faulty sensor does not cost that much    I’d say less than £80 supplied and fitted 

 

 

who would do them apart from dealer halfords wont nor any tyre place 

Edited by spider1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Few independent tyre places will fit and program them 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, rudds1 said:

To replace a faulty sensor does not cost that much    I’d say less than £80 supplied and fitted 

 

Cheers will have a ring round

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, spider1 said:

So its going to be a dealer only cost hundreds better watch out when buying a second hand car  any body know a way to turn light of and put ordinary valves in they sell things on net that dont work im told  

Not really.  My diagnostic gear can do it. And my network of owners will charge the price of a pint to re-code them or turn them off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Not really.  My diagnostic gear can do it. And my network of owners will charge the price of a pint to re-code them or turn them off.

Top man love some  one good at his job

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2020 at 16:25, spider1 said:

As from  early this year the C T M S  [car tyre monitering  systymn ] has been alt altered from advisory to dangerous   that means if you have a light on your dash saying tyres are low your m o t  should fail.   

  Blow  the tyres up  to take light of  as they may go down again  is illegal  and prob should be sorted.  Slow puncture faulty sensors  main prob  as sensors  i tyres  have a battery  in that  last  about 6 years  and need  

replacing .    Why are  m o t  centres  ignoring  this and  not  stocking  necessary  sencors   etc  when they know its  illegal  to put some air in to get em through attitude . 

They want to get it sorted  i phoned  most up all same answer its a nightmare   fail said vechile as you should or make sure you can repair it  as you should do .

Why would anyone present a car for MOT with warning lights on the dash, especially low tyre pressure warnings which is easily solved by adding air to the indicated tyre? 

 

Same goes for people that present them with failed bulbs, no washer fluid etc. 

 

Presenting a vehicle with these basic check faults should not only fail the MOT but the owner issued with a fixed penalty for failing to maintain the basics.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.