Utility Company Change

I was tied into Npower until next year.

Now they've transferred all their customers to Eon, am I still tied in as my contract was with Npower. 

13 hours ago, Orangepip said:

I was tied into Npower until next year.

Now they've transferred all their customers to Eon, am I still tied in as my contract was with Npower. 

Interesting you said this, as I was (maybe still am, see below) in the same boat.

The email I got from Npower back in July said :

"If you’re not happy with these new E.ON Next terms and conditions, you could choose to switch to another supplier and we’ll do everything reasonable to ensure the transfer takes place to your chosen supplier within 21 days of them telling us. As long as you do this before we move your account to E.ON Next or up to 30 days afterwards, we’ll waive any exit fees. Please note:

If we've already started the process of moving your account over to E.ON Next, there will be a period of two to three weeks when your transfer to another supplier may not work. This is because the energy industry's systems can only handle one change at a time.

If you owe us money, we may stop you from switching to a different supplier. If that’s the case, you’ll need to pay us what you owe within 30 working days of us telling you that we’re stopping the transfer.

If you change supplier your Smart meter may no longer work in the same way and you may have to provide your own meter readings."

I've bolded the bit that interested me. I decided to switch and, surprisingly, the day after I initiated the switch E.ON told me that they were about to switch me to them instead.

Six weeks and many confusing emails later I think I'm on British Gas (they were the cheapest at the time) and so I decide to cancel my E.ON direct debit (experience has taught me it's easier for me to pay what I owe than claim money back from a big company) and I get a snotty email saying I've cancelled my direct debit. I get in touch with them and the guy says yes, you're on BG but we need to reinstate the direct debit to refund my credit. I say OK and they have actually paid by the money in my account, but today I've had a bill from them for £30. Have made sure the direct debit is cancelled again and I expect another snotty email from them tomorrow. *shrug*

I think the point I'm making, is that, assuming you had the same email as me, I'm guessing you're out of time for cancelling your contract so you'll be tied in. However, they seem like they don't have a clue so it may be worth a snotty email/phone call to see if you can blag them.