We’re excited to announce the forum is under new management! Click here for details.

Smart Meters Outsmarting Us

On 16/10/2020 at 14:43, Organgrinder said:

This seems strange after I heard Martin Lewis clearly say that we couldn't be forced to have a smart meter and that we could have the same tariffs as those with smart meters so I don't know what to think now.

I have heard that, should future power supplies be in a precarious state, the power companies will be able to  switch off your supply using the smart meter.

This sounds like living under a dictator to me, and I can say that, unless they can force me by law, I will never have a Smart Meter fitted.

I suppose it's up to each of us to choose which direction we go in but my path is clear as I won't be bullied or threatened.

Yes I think you have heard right.Only last week a gas fitter who was repairing my boiler told me to avoid smart meters completely because the supplier can switch you off at any time and for any reason they like.This means of course that if the supplier makes one of their regular mistakes in their billing department and thinks you are in arrears, you may be cut off for no reason at all.You're right,forget the smart meter.I just ignore the suppliers letters,phone calls and E.mails and will do until smart meters become compulsory.

1 hour ago, ivan edake said:

Yes I think you have heard right.Only last week a gas fitter who was repairing my boiler told me to avoid smart meters completely because the supplier can switch you off at any time and for any reason they like.This means of course that if the supplier makes one of their regular mistakes in their billing department and thinks you are in arrears, you may be cut off for no reason at all.You're right,forget the smart meter.I just ignore the suppliers letters,phone calls and E.mails and will do until smart meters become compulsory.

Suppliers cannot cut off your supply. It's the law. 

11 hours ago, ivan edake said:

Yes I think you have heard right.Only last week a gas fitter who was repairing my boiler told me to avoid smart meters completely because the supplier can switch you off at any time and for any reason they like.

In winter, when people need hot water, leaving families with children and old people without hot water.

I bet he gave you a large bill and you believed everything he had done  :)

13 hours ago, BigPP said:

They can

Gas 'smart meters' can shut off without warning because they depend on battery power, as opposed to their electric equivalents which run off the national grid.

When/if a battery fails, the supply can be automatically turned off.

An engineer is needed to replace the battery unit before the gas is reconnected.

Try that on Christmas Day without upset! ;-)

On 17/10/2020 at 23:16, BigPP said:

Are you sure?  From OFGEM:

At one time or another many people experience difficulties paying their bills. If you get into debt with your gas or electricity supplier it's very important to tackle the problem.

If you let your energy bills build up, there is a risk of eventually being disconnected – which means having your energy cut off - by your supplier.

Here we explain the rules, what should happen if you are disconnected and the help available to you to get reconnected.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/who-contact-if-its-difficult-paying-energy-bills/energy-supply-disconnection-and-prepayment-meter-rules

On 17/10/2020 at 23:16, BigPP said:

They can, unless the person falls into a number of groups, such as them being vulnerable.

As far as I know, the only supply that can't be disconnected is the water.

8 hours ago, RiffRaff said:

Gas 'smart meters' can shut off without warning because they depend on battery power, as opposed to their electric equivalents which run off the national grid.

When/if a battery fails, the supply can be automatically turned off.

An engineer is needed to replace the battery unit before the gas is reconnected.

Try that on Christmas Day without upset! 😉

Meters are designed to automatically inform the supplier when a battery is nearing the end of life so they can arrange for it to be replaced before it dies completely. Apparently they beep when the battery is failing too.

https://www.npower.com/faq/129