Smart Meters Thread

A warning to anyone who has an older boiler:

Installation of smart meter leaves elderly woman facing £4,000 bill

The same thing nearly happened to us when the smart meter was installed. The installer had to switch the boiler off in order to install the meter and restart it afterwards. It wouldn't start, he didn't know how to restart it and was going to leave it and put a note on the installation notes. We insisted that he stayed and after about an hour calling all his fellow installers he eventually found one who talked him through the process.

The meter wasn't reporting the gas usage so after a couple of months they sent another installer with a replacement meter. As he was going to switch the boiler off I explained what happened last time so he once again rang around but he couldn't find anyone who could help. He left without switching the boiler off and the meter still doesn't record gas usage.

I live in an apartment and the meters are in a secure meter cupboard two floors and half the building away. I can't have a smart meter, as my wifi signal isn't strong enough to reach. It's not stopped me yet being limited to tariffs.

12 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

Martin Lewis said tonight,  in answer to a question on the Martin Lewis Money Show on TV,  that the power companies cannot force you to have a Smart Meter

and also that anyone can have  the same  cheapest tariffs as those  with Smart Meters.

I thought this was the case but am glad that Martin has confirmed it. 

I usually watch Martin Lewis but I missed this one.Martin also has a price comparison site and he always states that smart meters are mandatory on the quotes that require one fitting.Some quotes also state they are for new customers only and I have heard that was to be disallowed but nothing appears to have been done yet.My energy company seems to be getting round the smart meter rules by stating in the small print that they reserve the right to remove a customer from any tariff at any time. They really do appear to have us by the throat.

2 hours ago, ivan edake said:

I usually watch Martin Lewis but I missed this one.Martin also has a price comparison site and he always states that smart meters are mandatory on the quotes that require one fitting.Some quotes also state they are for new customers only and I have heard that was to be disallowed but nothing appears to have been done yet.My energy company seems to be getting round the smart meter rules by stating in the small print that they reserve the right to remove a customer from any tariff at any time. They really do appear to have us by the throat.

This seems strange after I heard Martin Lewis clearly say that we couldn't be forced to have a smart meter and that we could have the same tariffs as those with smart meters so I don't know what to think now.

I have heard that, should future power supplies be in a precarious state, the power companies will be able to  switch off your supply using the smart meter.

This sounds like living under a dictator to me, and I can say that, unless they can force me by law, I will never have a Smart Meter fitted.

I suppose it's up to each of us to choose which direction we go in but my path is clear as I won't be bullied or threatened.

3 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

This seems strange after I heard Martin Lewis clearly say that we couldn't be forced to have a smart meter and that we could have the same tariffs as those with smart meters so I don't know what to think now.

I have heard that, should future power supplies be in a precarious state, the power companies will be able to  switch off your supply using the smart meter.

This sounds like living under a dictator to me, and I can say that, unless they can force me by law, I will never have a Smart Meter fitted.

I suppose it's up to each of us to choose which direction we go in but my path is clear as I won't be bullied or threatened.

I watched a recording on the programme this morning. What Martin Lewis said was you can have the same tariff as those with a smart meters but only if it was impractical to fit one. In practise this would mean you would have to agree to have one fitted but when the installer arrives they cannot fit one as  the mobile signal isn't  strong enough at your property, for example.

52 minutes ago, BigPP said:

I watched a recording on the programme this morning. What Martin Lewis said was you can have the same tariff as those with a smart meters but only if it was impractical to fit one. In practise this would mean you would have to agree to have one fitted but when the installer arrives they cannot fit one as  the mobile signal isn't  strong enough at your property, for example.

Well, In my case, they can stuff the Smart Meter along with  the special tarrifs too

On 16/10/2020 at 14:43, Organgrinder said:

Yes I think you have heard right.Only last week a gas fitter who was repairing my boiler told me to avoid smart meters completely because the supplier can switch you off at any time and for any reason they like.This means of course that if the supplier makes one of their regular mistakes in their billing department and thinks you are in arrears, you may be cut off for no reason at all.You're right,forget the smart meter.I just ignore the suppliers letters,phone calls and E.mails and will do until smart meters become compulsory.

1 hour ago, ivan edake said:

Yes I think you have heard right.Only last week a gas fitter who was repairing my boiler told me to avoid smart meters completely because the supplier can switch you off at any time and for any reason they like.This means of course that if the supplier makes one of their regular mistakes in their billing department and thinks you are in arrears, you may be cut off for no reason at all.You're right,forget the smart meter.I just ignore the suppliers letters,phone calls and E.mails and will do until smart meters become compulsory.

Suppliers cannot cut off your supply. It's the law. 

11 hours ago, ivan edake said:

Yes I think you have heard right.Only last week a gas fitter who was repairing my boiler told me to avoid smart meters completely because the supplier can switch you off at any time and for any reason they like.

In winter, when people need hot water, leaving families with children and old people without hot water.

I bet he gave you a large bill and you believed everything he had done  :)

13 hours ago, BigPP said:

They can

Gas 'smart meters' can shut off without warning because they depend on battery power, as opposed to their electric equivalents which run off the national grid.

When/if a battery fails, the supply can be automatically turned off.

An engineer is needed to replace the battery unit before the gas is reconnected.

Try that on Christmas Day without upset! ;-)

On 17/10/2020 at 23:16, BigPP said:

Are you sure?  From OFGEM:

At one time or another many people experience difficulties paying their bills. If you get into debt with your gas or electricity supplier it's very important to tackle the problem.

If you let your energy bills build up, there is a risk of eventually being disconnected – which means having your energy cut off - by your supplier.

Here we explain the rules, what should happen if you are disconnected and the help available to you to get reconnected.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/who-contact-if-its-difficult-paying-energy-bills/energy-supply-disconnection-and-prepayment-meter-rules